Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Specter1075

LF: B-1B Conventional Munition Dispenser drawings or pictures

Recommended Posts

Hello all,

I have been digging and digging trying to find images of how conventional bombs are arranged in the bays of the B-1. I have found a few images, but the perspectives aren't great and I can't really tell how exactly everything is supposed to sit in each bay. Specifically, I am hoping to scratch-build a basic mount for a bay of GBU-54s, and a bay of CBU-105s. My understanding is that you would have twenty-eight of the -54s, and ten of the -105s. I figure the rack would not be overly visible with that many munitions packed in, but Id like to see how exactly they get arranged. 

Can anyone point to something that may help? It is appreciated!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only thing I found was a simple drawing in Detail & Scale Vol 37, p.65 of the “non-nuclear module“

 

I did find several text references that mention the CRSLs are “fully compatible with gravity-drop weapons”

 

edit: Squadron’s B-1 In Action #179 surprisingly has several good b&w shots of the slant loading CWM, both loaded and unloaded. I didn’t check this book initially as the In Action series isn’t usually known for obscure detail pics. 

Edited by habu2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do these help?  I don't really know much about the B-1's weapons bays, but these are GBU-38s, -54s, and -31s loaded in a B-1 in 2013/2014...

 

-Todd

2013-06-29%2002.08.31.jpg2013-06-29%2002.08.46.jpg2013-06-29%2002.10.58.jpg2013-06-29%2002.04.45.jpg2013-06-29%2002.06.25.jpg 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TBP1538 said:

Do these help?  I don't really know much about the B-1's weapons bays, but these are GBU-38s, -54s, and -31s loaded in a B-1 in 2013/2014...

 

 

The first three pics show the CWM, the last two show the CRSL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 10 point rack is static/rigid while the 28 (?) point rack is articulated, in the linked pic the two left racks in each pair (fore/aft) pivot to clear the drop path for the remaining stores. Both modules use the same airframe mounts as the rotary launchers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the replies guys, its really appreciated!

Habu, thanks a bunch! I'll try to get a copy of Squadron's 179. I think what you've found for the 10 point rack is pretty spot on, and clear in how things sit. I'll attach the pics I've found to compare. I think I found an empty rack for the 500 pounders, but being articulated, its hard to see how exactly everything sits with all the offsets from center. In the pic I found, it does look like there is 28 hard points, but they are not symmetrically laid out, which makes it harder to see whats going on.

zN80uA4.jpg

Another thing is that Flickr album gives me the designator for the munitions loader, which I didn't know before. I've got something new to search for.

 

 

TBP, your pics are helpful too. Especially the one with the laser JDAMs. I hadnt seen anything from that angle before, so its another part of the puzzle. Thanks!

Finn, yours are excellent. The 10 point layout is a lot clearer when I look at your pictures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Specter1075 said:

 

Another thing is that Flickr album gives me the designator for the munitions loader, which I didn't know before. I've got something new to search for.

 

Be aware the photos on that flickr album are of a weapon loading trainer, not an actual airframe.  Note the proximity of the hangar walls and doors, lack of nose gear doors, etc.

 

Just to confirm, MHU-196 is the designation of the munitions handling trailer, not the actual weapon module.  The TW367 stenciled on the module is most likely a reference to the 367 TRS at Sheppard AFB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, habu2 said:

 

Be aware the photos on that flickr album are of a weapon loading trainer, not an actual airframe.  Note the proximity of the hangar walls and doors, lack of nose gear doors, etc.

 

Just to confirm, MHU-196 is the designation of the munitions handling trailer, not the actual weapon module.  The TW367 stenciled on the module is most likely a reference to the 367 TRS at Sheppard AFB. 

 

Ah yes. I did realize that after the fact, though it still helps since pictures of them are often with a B-1. I didn't find much else beyond what was suggested above, but I spent a lot of time digging. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Habu2, You da man!  This will be very helpful with my 34th BS B-1B build.  Thanks.  R/ Dutch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice! I'm hoping to do one of the ones currently at Ellsworth in 1/48.  I've bought Caracal decal's 1/48 set, so it will be either 86-0121 or 86-0139. I suspect 0139 will be my choice. When will you be starting the Bone? I'd love to follow your progress!

PS: Being somewhat new to the hobby, I've never noticed that Scalemates allows people to track projects. That's a neat feature! If I can make it work, I'll have a look at some of your other stuff that you've done for your 366th project! (Assuming pics have been uploaded someplace...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hello,

 

What would you say about this?

 

10-store CBM (more variants - empty, loaded) for B-1B 1/48

ready for CBU-97 or CBU-105 (Eduard Accessories)

will be available in July 2019

20190312_174810840_iOS.jpg

Edited by CzechCutter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Good god, you are my hero! I'll be first in line for that!

 

Who is making it?

Edited by Specter1075

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Master is mine and Armycast from Czech Republic will realize production 🙂

There will be possibility to build simplified or High-Tech (on photo) version of two CBM variants (different electronic boxes)

CBUs are available from Eduard Model Accessories (we think about "royal class set" with CBUs in cooperation with Eduard)

 

my B-1B list to do next:

  • CRL with GBU-31 (v) 1/B and GBU-31 (v) 3/B 
  • Sniper pod with pylon (coop with Eduard)

Did You see our previous work https://www.scalemates.com/kits/armycast-mandm-ac-48014-b-1b-wing-mechanics--1182502 ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

You are already my hero! I have bought set of wing flaps/slats, and now I only wait for this bomb bay set! With your CRL's, I will have everything I need for the perfect B-1b! Your work is phenomenal!! My plan is to do combined munitions, and CBU-105 with GBU-31 would look fantastic!

Will AviationMegaStore be the only place to buy, like with the wing sets? Do you have ETA for the GBU-31 version, or only the CBU set will be this year?

Thank you again! 

Edited by Specter1075

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Specter1075 said:

You are already my hero! I have bought set of wing flaps/slats, and now I only wait for this bomb bay set! With your CRL's, I will have everything I need for the perfect B-1b! Your work is phenomenal!! My plan is to do combined munitions, and CBU-105 with GBU-31 would look fantastic!

Will AviationMegaStore be the only place to buy, like with the wing sets? Do you have ETA for the GBU-31 version, or only the CBU set will be this year?

Thank you again! 

 

AviationMegaStore will be the only official place to buy it, but you can try to contact Armycast directly (carefully - they will spend many sleepless nights on this set to satisfy megastore) 🙂.

 

I'm drawing instruction sheet for CBM now, then I will draw 3D model of CRL (I hope, it will be our first 3D print). I think, CRL will be ready in the end of this year , but I can't promise it. It's just my hobby and it depends on my health and  leisure.

Edited by CzechCutter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, CzechCutter said:

 

AviationMegaStore will be the only official place to buy it, but you can try to contact Armycast directly (carefully - they will spend many sleepless nights on this set to satisfy megastore) 🙂.

 

I'm drawing instruction sheet for CBM now, then I will draw 3D model of CRL (I hope, it will be our first 3D print). I think, CRL will be ready in the end of this year , but I can't promise it. It's just my hobby and it depends on my health and  leisure.

Looks great. It appears (hopefully) That the half bay and bulkheads are 3D printed and will be in resin and the boxes and BRUs are brass. -   Can you confirm. This will be the best way to do this 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×