Hi,

The Victory productions sheet has some pretty cool options... hard to choose between them. The other killer on it killed a Yak, so my choice becomes a bit easier.

I'm building modex  "V209" of VF-112, used by LCDR Bill Amen of VF-111 to kill a Mig-15 on the 9th of November 1950.     

VF-111 and VF-112 were sister squadrons aboard USS Philippine Sea at the time.

It was a pretty significant kill for Naval Aviation. After WW2, some argued that nuclear bombers would make carriers obsolete. There were also doubts that jet aircraft were going to be suitable for carrier operations. And maybe land based jet fighters were always going to be superior to carrier based ones because they didn't need all the carrier-specific equipment.

So, the performance of the Panthers in Korea was most welcome.

Here's the kit. I'll use a canopy from a Kitty Hawk Cougar: I've read that that it is a drop-in advantageous replacement and there's two of them in the Cougar kits.

38852104535_0291514f4e_c.jpgKiller Panther by StefanBuysse, on Flickr

Cheers, Stefan.

Thanks for your interest, Bashace.

I hope this one doesn't become another shelf queen. One first hurdle has been cleared. The Victory Productions instructions tell you (correctly) that the gun gas vent that was added to the Panthers has to be removed for this subject.

I had a piece of plastic in mind but I wasn't absolutely sure that I was going to remove the right piece.

Luckily, there is a Tailspin Turtle topic about the subject.:thumbsup:

The barricade deflector is explained in the same page. Thanks, Tommy.

http://tailspintopics.blogspot.be/2016/02/grumman-f9f-nose-cone-variations.html

Cheers, Stefan.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

No, the GB  isn't dead. Here's some progress on the Panther.

I'm following Detail&Scale's colour advice for Glossy Sea Blue Cougars as some of the Trumpeter instructions seem suspect.

I went with grey with a black headrest for the seat and added some generic belts.

The big bombs have 4 holes in them instead of the usual 2:  the pins in the sway braces are supposed to be glued into them and thus hold the bomb.

40158161954_7d44edc404_c.jpgPanther March 17th by StefanBuysse, on Flickr

Cheers, Stefan.

1 hour ago, Stefan buysse said:

Hi,

No, the GB  isn't dead. Here's some progress on the Panther.

I'm following Detail&Scale's colour advice for Glossy Sea Blue Cougars as some of the Trumpeter instructions seem suspect.

I went with grey with a black headrest for the seat and added some generic belts.

The big bombs have 4 holes in them instead of the usual 2:  the pins in the sway braces are supposed to be glued into them and thus hold the bomb.

Panther March 17th by StefanBuysse, on Flickr

Cheers, Stefan.

I'd be inclined to paint the seat interior green. http://tailhooktopics.blogspot.com/2012/12/f9f-panther-cockpit-color.html

And also add a parachute and seat cushion.

Edited by Tailspin Turtle
Add second recommendation
20 hours ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

I'd be inclined to paint the seat interior green. http://tailhooktopics.blogspot.com/2012/12/f9f-panther-cockpit-color.html

And also add a parachute and seat cushion.

Oops! Thanks for the info, Tommy.

I'm less surprised at the seat colour than at the fact that they normally left the parachute and seat pack on those early Panthers.

Shortly after I took the picture, I glued the seat in place and the fuselage halves together. So, I'll leave this one and use the info for my next Panther.

I've bought a second Trumpeter Panther to build as the Yak-killer. No Yaks are to be harmed in this GB, but I find the these Panthers a fascinating pair: the first jet to take off from a carrier to shoot down another aircraft in combat (the Yak) and the first jet to take off from a carrier and shoot down another jet (the Mig-15).

Cheers, Stefan. 

3 hours ago, Stefan buysse said:

Oops! Thanks for the info, Tommy.

I'm less surprised at the seat colour than at the fact that they normally left the parachute and seat pack on those early Panthers.

Cheers, Stefan. 

It was a carrier-basing thing. A parachute accidentally being deployed on deck with even less than 30-40 knots wind-over-deck was to be avoided. If you can, take a look at the movie Bridges at Toko-Ri for Panther stuff, albeit -5s. Also see http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2011/12/wheres-his-parachute.html

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

No pictures, but I have been working on the model. The bombs have been painted green.

I also made a mistake: I added ballast inside parts A6 and A7. There was room to spare but I should have placed it a bit further aft, because the guns in the nosecone are mounted on a tray (part A16) that sticks out behind the nosecone. Now the nosecone can't be fitted to the nose.

I will use this nosecone on the Yak-killer and use that one's nosecone on the Mig-killer.

The new nosecone will not have the tray, but will be filled with Miliput into which I'll stick Master 20 mm barrels.  

Cheers, Stefan.

Hi,

Well, that Kittyhawk Cougar canopy is not a drop-in replacement, it turns out.

40241062625_bc2c0e4080_c.jpgPanther with KH Cougar canopy by StefanBuysse, on Flickr

Here are the Trumpeter and KH canopies and windscreens together. I'll just go with the Trumpeter clear parts for my Panther.

40424741954_bef228da67_c.jpgPanther and Cougar canopies by StefanBuysse, on Flickr

Here are the original plastic guns and the Master metal ones in their respective nosecones.

40424741464_69af7da9a0_c.jpgPanther guns by StefanBuysse, on Flickr

I hope to make some good progress during the rest of the Easter week-end.

Cheers, Stefan.

Hi,

The construction is pretty much complete now, I just have to add the pylons. She looks like  Panther to me.

You may be surprised that she's been painted black. I chose black as a primer because I really don't want my Glossy Sea Blue to look too light.

27453418398_9dbf94f11c_c.jpgPanther in black by StefanBuysse, on Flickr

Next time she'll have Glossy Sea Blue coat.

Cheers, Stefan.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Here she is in Glossy Sea Blue, finally.

I had been spraying Tamiya XF-17 onto the model and it looked very matt. The Tamiya bottle was very old, maybe the look would have improved under a coat of Future, but I decided to switch to Mr Paint. 

Then, my compressor gave up on me (after 27 years). With a new compressor and Mr Paint, I got the result that I wanted.

GSB probably isn't the easiest colour to photograph, she looks better than on the picture.

27363590337_a931a82277_c.jpgGSB Panther by StefanBuysse, on Flickr

Now, I've got to mask off the areas for the Coroguard.

Cheers, Stefan.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Here she is with some decals on her.

41285094100_8d7be1eaf6_c.jpgPanther 29th of June by StefanBuysse, on Flickr

So, I have about 24 hours to add the finishing touches.

Some minor decal problems show up here, but I'm quite pleased with how she turned out.

For the next GB, I'll try something modest and hope to finish well in time.

I mean, a 1/72 Italeri F-5 for the Top Gun GB and not a 1/48 Hasegawa Tomcat.

Cheers, Stefan.

Hi,

She's done, I took a couple of pictures before I added the bombs and the mission marks.

43065828222_0dbe67cdf6_c.jpgPanther finished-5 by StefanBuysse, on Flickr

43065823932_5cabd4c3a6_c.jpgPanther finished-4 by StefanBuysse, on Flickr

42211294385_fa42068d90_c.jpgPanther finished-3 by StefanBuysse, on Flickr

43065813552_3043604c44_c.jpgPanther finished-2 by StefanBuysse, on Flickr

42397448134_6a38a78553_c.jpgPanther finished-1 by StefanBuysse, on Flickr

Cheers, Stefan.