C-87 Liberator Express in 1/144

Hello,

Here is a conversion of the Academy/Minicraft 1/144 B-24J into an early C-87.  The C-87 was a cargo/troop version of the B-24D.  It had a rather poor reputation, in part due to numerous crashes while flying “the Hump”.  The nose art is “Hump Happy”.  The decals are ALPS printed.  The olive drab/neutral gray paint is Mr. Color lacquer.

The conversion required modifying the nose to a shorter solid piece and adding many side windows.  The small windows were done with Kristal Klear and decal film.  The gun turrets are gone.  The tail has been modified and corrected.  The cowlings and engines are resin replacements.  The canopy has been replaced.

If I can fix some of the problems that popped up in this build, this resin conversion may be released by Muroc Models.  The issues included the vertical fins being angled too far back and the kit sitting tail high due to long main gear struts.  The 7 grams of weight I put in the nose was not quite enough to make it sit on its nose wheel (In the pictures the model is sitting on a down-slope to make it sit properly).  The Minicraft B-24 is a bear of a kit.  You can see that a second test build is under way with the cargo door opened up.  This will be finished as a bare metal aircraft.

Happy 2018

David

Muroc Models

IMGP2561a.jpgIMGP2562a.jpgIMGP2570a.jpg

IMGP2561b.jpg

IMGP2570b.jpg

Edited by Muroc
add photos

Hello,

I finally finished the second test build for the C-87.  Took some photos this morning with the Mojave Desert as the background.  The C-87 has a metal finish using Tamiya spray and Alclad.  There are many B&W photos of this aircraft, as it was featured in a Life photo essay.  The rudders may have been some color other than olive drab.  The national insignia have a darker blue outline.  The cargo doors have been cut out and a floor and bulkheads scratch-built.  To make sure it would not be a tail sitter, I added lots of shot to the nose and a scale tripod under the cargo door.

The conversion has been released.  The conversion contains the following resin parts; fuselage halves, tripod, tail bumper, elevators, tail, antenna (2), pitots (2), cargo doors (2), tail fins, rudders, cowlings and motors.  There is a vacuformed canopy and a tail window.  The decal sheet has 4 different aircraft.  I can be contacted directly at newmanispwest at yahoo dot com.

David

Muroc Models

IMGP2958b.jpg

IMGP2975b.jpg

• 2 years later...

years back; there was an article in the old Scale Aircraft magazine about the Harriman Mission to Russia. The airframe is similar, but also shorter (if memory is right). I still have the article some where, and would love to do it. Why the length difference called out; I simply don't know. This would make a real nice 1/48th scale conversion when the new and far better B24's finally roll out. The Harriman airframe had the side windows and a solid nose (I think). I'll do some digging to see if I can find it again

gary

It would be fun to make one as described by Ernest K. Gann in his memoir Fate is the Hunter.

He doesn't give a color (he flew them in both the North Atlantic routes and CBI under an American Airlines contract...knowing that might help you locate photos).

One thing he did mention was at least one aircraft had a fixed .50 cal in the nose.

18 hours ago, JohnEB said:

It would be fun to make one as described by Ernest K. Gann in his memoir Fate is the Hunter.

He doesn't give a color (he flew them in both the North Atlantic routes and CBI under an American Airlines contract...knowing that might help you locate photos).

One thing he did mention was at least one aircraft had a fixed .50 cal in the nose.

Hey thanks for the info. I have two or three Hasegawa B24's (love them), and have been on the hunt for the B24D for awhile. The quarter scale frame is just a little too big for me and the condo. Another interesting B24 is the one used an a gas tanker (C104?). And a British ASW B24 (how they call them out is confusing to this old man). This would be a great kit for Airfix to tackle in 72 scale. Hasegawa kits are hard to get and grossly priced. If they did a B24D, I'd probably end up with a half dozen for starters. (probably ten kits) The B24 and the Helldiver were the two most underrated allied air frames in WWII

gary