Upturned exhaust for Bell 212 / UH-1N

Hey guys trying to find a source for 1/35 scale upturned exhaust for the Bell 212 / UH-1N. I tried Shapeways but they are too long and brittle when cut to correct length. I thought there was another source but I cant remember where I saw it.  So if anyone knows of a source please share. Thank you 

CC

ccrqw, I've also just used a set from Shapeways. My first cut shattered the exhaust, salvageable but I was annoyed. The second one I put damp kitchen tissue in, to add  a bit of rigidity. That one came off the sprue ok and I was able to trim it down. Once I'd finished I put in in warm water then pulled out the tissue 'carefully'.

Hope this helps and good luck with the build.

I've seen and worked on RAF Griffons with these fitted, not sure about the USMC though. The Italian AB412EP's seem to have had a mix of deflected and standard fit. Mind you the different arms of civil, police etc seem to have 412 SP's and EP's and a mix of a few 212's with differing exhausts.

Literatly a referance minefield.

3 hours ago, Wafu said:

No problem HeavyArty, https://www.shapeways.com/product/K899H3669/bell-212-412-1-35-bended-exhausts?optionId=64464624&li=marketplace

These are the ones I used, very nice because you get the deflector plate to glue inside.

How did you install them and the deflector plate. Since there are no instructions,  I went off pics and did not see a deflector plate or did not know what i was looking at. 

Edited by ccrqw
3 hours ago, HeavyArty said:

Thanks, they look good.  Did/do USMC UH-1Ns use these, or are they just a Bell-212/412 civil feature?  I can't seem to find them used on USMC helos.

No USMC UH-1N had them to my knowledge , but when CBP got several retired Ns from the Marines they were retrofitted later.

Sorry I didn't explain. I'm a UK Licensed Engineer with a FAA A+P. I'm type rated on the Bell and AgustaBell 412 products, so I had a bit of inside knowledge of the 412. 

If if anyone else here has worked on the 212/412 they will know that the whole Twin pack with associated tinware and exhausts. If my training is right, the defector plates are riveted in to the exhaust.

Hope this helps?

OK here is an update on my search. I contacted Shapeways and informed them of my displeasure with their product and was graciously issued a refund. Kudos to Shapeways, good customer service. Secondly I found the other company and website I spoke of earlier . It is a small company out of Germany called DF helostuff  http://www.df-helostuff.de/ The order form link does not appear to be working but I contacted the owner personally via email. Lets see what happens over the coarse of time. I will post any updates.  Oh by the way Wafu and HeavyArty thanks for inputs and pic respectively. They helped tremendously.  

v/r

CC

Edited by ccrqw

No problem, glad to here you got sorted out by Shapeways, that's good old American customer service for you.

Thanks for the link to the guy in Germany, I do like his Sea King blade fold stuff and the Bear paws in 1/35. I remembered lastnight that Cine-Scale is another good source of parts in 3D, via Shapeways. I've got a 412 Rotorhead, fixed step, spectro and a second set of exhausts coming. It's the first time I've ordered from this guy so time will tell I'd the parts are good. 

Heli-scale is another go to for me, good for decals of obscure civil helicopters. Another guy based in Germany, it's good for me due to not paying import duty and minimum postage, not sure how it will be for you guys over the pond.

AMS35001 1:35 AMS Resin UH-1N Huey FOD Covers & Correct Exhaust (PDA/DRA kit) I checked but not the upturned exhaust. But again I appreciate the information and my purchase one of these sets for a later project. 

40 minutes ago, ccrqw said:

AMS35001 1:35 AMS Resin UH-1N Huey FOD Covers & Correct Exhaust (PDA/DRA kit) I checked but not the upturned exhaust. But again I appreciate the information and my purchase one of these sets for a later project. 

That is correct. I donated my kit part to Harold years ago (2010). Like I said I didn't know it was a thing for N otherwise I would have mentioned it. 

9 hours ago, ccrqw said:

(...) As interest peaks perhaps other after market vendors might look into casting molds for the twin huey in all three scales. 

Now that would be a good idea! I have been fooling around much too long, civilizing the 1:72 and 1:48 Bell 205, 212 and 412. A high skid landing gear, steps, fast fin tail, radar nose, pop out floats and external fueltanks with integrated steps would be more than welcome!

• 3 weeks later...

Just got s set of upturned exhaust 1/35 scale , and folded blade hinges 1/48 scale from DF HELO STUFF. I am impressed. The upturned exhaust are already the correct length, no trimming necessary .  The splitter plates are already molded in. Just a little sanding off of  the mounting base. For those of you thinking about building a civilian 212 / 412 Huey, I highly encourage this set. 

Edited by ccrqw