Niels, I was going to comment that doing the search found some good shots of that specific F-4J after it became an F-4S (without slats), and then later after it got the slats.

Interesting detail,,,,,the designation is painted on WT-03 in the wrong way. Just the sort of thing to point out to drive one or two model judges bonkers. "F4-S" being *wrong*, but obviously used on this F-4S at one time, anyway.

On 1/19/2018 at 3:06 PM, Rex said:

Niels, I was going to comment that doing the search found some good shots of that specific F-4J after it became an F-4S (without slats), and then later after it got the slats.

Interesting detail,,,,,the designation is painted on WT-03 in the wrong way. Just the sort of thing to point out to drive one or two model judges bonkers. "F4-S" being *wrong*, but obviously used on this F-4S at one time, anyway.

VF-151 had the same thing on theirs. Every time I look at my model and see F4-S it drives me nuts.

Edited by Darren Roberts

There was over a two year gap between the first F-4S conversion (July '77), and the first slatted F-4S appearing (Nov '79), as the 'S' upgrade was about more than just the slatted wing.

(Digital radar, comms upgrade, ECM, engine upgrade)

The main indicator is the presence of the formation (slime) lights. If it has those, it's an 'S', even if it's still awaiting the wing slat kit being fitted.

The anomaly is the ones that were supplied to the RAF in 1984 were 'nearly' F-4Ss, but due to some UK specific mods, continued to be designated as F-4J(UK)s.

Edited by chek
  • 4 weeks later...