Dragon 1/35th UH-1 rivets

I lightly sanded the rivets to knock them down a bit.  It improves the look of them.  Others have said to totally sand them off the fuselage minus the ones around the canopy and chin windows.  The actual rivets are not that noticable on a 1/1 Huey fuselage.

Not just the rivets, everything is grossly over scale but it’s the only kit out there.  I’d suggest sand them down (along with the overly thick chin bubble and greenhouse frames).   The real thing is covered in rivets, I wouldn’t just sand flush.  Ultimately it’s your model.  Good luck!  

55 minutes ago, Swashplate said:

Thanks Charlie.

anytime my friend

I did this 1/35 UH-1D DRAGON.. back in 2008 ( lost it when a fire hit my house together with my complete huey collection :crying:)

at the time I was starting in scale modeling... I even use the wrong decals 1/48 on a 1/35.. and do not sand the rivets

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal8/7401-7500/gal7493-UH-1D-Moncion/00.shtm

Oi6p3jm.jpg

K4FvKso.jpg

7i2O8RP.jpg

NjveyU8.jpg

O6LO86A.jpg

Edited by CharlieUH-1H
5 hours ago, CharlieUH-1H said:

anytime my friend

I did this 1/35 UH-1D DRAGON.. back in 2008 ( lost it when a fire hit my house together with my complete huey collection :crying:)

at the time I was starting in scale modeling... I even use the wrong decals 1/48 on a 1/35.. and do not sand the rivets

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal8/7401-7500/gal7493-UH-1D-Moncion/00.shtm

K4FvKso.jpg

The only redeeming thing about the Dragon kit (aside from it's the only D/H in large scale) is the PE.  I really wish Dragon would sell those belts separately.   

With regard to rivets, gotta have them on a large scale Huey, they are part of what makes the Huey so cool (IMO).  Unfortunately, Dragon just took a 48th scale model and grossly upsized everything.  

I must say from the off that I'm in no way an expert on the Huey family, I'm defiantly no expert on the Dragon UH family of kits.

This is a 'work in progress' though of a subject I've long wanted to make in a kit and being a sucker for big helicopters, due to age and eyesight, I have taken a lot of the heavy rivets and detail off the donor UH-1N kit. 

Negative and positive comments please.

IMG_2818

I'm still working on the Main rotor configuration etc but I'm happy with the overall effect though. After the Rotor a good panel wash and she's done I think?

Edited by Wafu

Beautiful Wafu!!! Very, very nice!!

Also, great to see a helicopter here that's not matt green or od!

Some questions: are the exhausts after market stuff? The landing gear is the one you mentioned, by Heli Scale Quality?

How did you make the parts in front of and on top of the engines? I am still planning to make a 1:48 412, and would use the Belcher Bits conversion, but I guess in 1:35 you're on your own there...?

:cheers:

Gertjan

Edited by GeejeeZ
typo

Thanks Swashplate and GeejeeZ for your kind words.

I have a soft spot for all things Italian and having spent three plus years working in Italy on a AgustaWestland facility, I really love the agencies that operate the differing types. 

GeejeeZ, when it's finished I'll put a thread on this forum explaining how I achieved the build but yes the exhausts are from Shapeways, see the Upturned Exhuasts thread.