Airfix 1/72 FG.1 Phantom

Surprised that no one else has got one of these on the go.

As some of you are aware I now model primarily as an aid for my aviation art, and being a Brit of a certain age the recent release by Airfix of the RN FG.1 has whetted  my appetite to get a FG.1 on canvas this year.

The Airfix kit is of the same standard as all their new toolings and does have a few issues, but is also fairly straightforward to build, and not too bad a fit.

Not too much to see at this stage

stS2Ig1.jpg

but it does prompt a couple of questions.

My plan is to model the FG.1 as on the Ark Royal in 1976, and inspired by the TV series Sailor, which I fondly remember watching.

What would be a typical load for a FG.1 carrying out standard patrol flights when the ship was operating in blue water ? I'm thinking 4x AIM-9 and a full compliment of drop tanks seems logical, but it is a wild gues only

Anybody help ?

P

There are a few on the go at Britmodeller but as it's not a USN jet I'm not terribly surprised you're the first here. Wonderful start! One person at BM suggested the FAA machines often carried only the centreline fuel tank. This thread (http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235031577-airfix-172-phantom-fg1-in-stock-at-hornby/&page=1) has become a one-stop reference shop with photos, drawings and other info and I strongly suggest you head over for a look as it may prove helpful.

I was holding out for an FGR.2 in proper camo and option two in the forthcoming release is just what I wanted, so I'll be following along and taking notes!

Edited by K5054NZ

Cheers for the comments Zac. I've been following the various threads on BritM and gleaning some info. I have got some good intel too from the FAA Fixed Wing FB page with regard to tanks. It seems when at sea it was either the two wingtanks (Sgt Fletcher) fitted or the centreline tank but never all three at the same time (the launch weight being too high). Less info so far about weapon loads, particularly when on AD patrol.

A little progress on the kit, but I was waiting on further resources, which have now duly arrived.

7KKORsb.jpg 

It seems I will need to sand off the reinforcement plates on each wingtip as these were not fitted to the FAA Phantom, but that will easily be done. At the moment the plan is to go with the early style tail and use the Xtradecals for XT872 - 005/R which has the tail fin zapped by VF-11, presumably when the aircraft crossed deck with a US carrier. I was lucky enough to get on board the USS Roosevelt back in 2015 with the Red Rippers on board at the time.

Edited by Pete Wenman

I haven't seen any photos of RN intercepts, but RAF intercept photos pretty much all show wing tanks, 4x AIM-9 and 4x Skyflash.  I would imagine RN air defence loadouts were pretty similar.  In fact, that seems pretty typical for USAF and USN Phantoms as well; occasionally they'll have a single centreline tank rather than wing tanks, but it's mostly the full A2A loadout.

Edited by MoFo

Not an FG1 but when I was on the Coral Sea they left off the forward Sparrows sometimes for weight considerations. (when it was hot)  We often flew with 4xAIM9 and 2xAIM7 with a centerline tank. Note that the tank must be jettisoned before firing forward Sparrows or the missile fins will can-opener it when they eject. There's an electrical interlock that prevents doing that. That's why they mounted the Sparrows in the rear, those can be launched with the tank in place.

Cheers Dave - it is the number of Aim-7 carried that most interests me. Given the Ark Royal AD flights would have all have been peace time sorties, and not really of the QRF type either I do wonder if two was more common than four on most AD missions. There are plenty of photos of RAF Phantoms loaded for bear, but it's very different for the FAA aircraft. I've found a couple where it shows wing tanks and two Aim-9 only, and some very obvious bombing range loadouts

I'll carry on looking

P

Edited by Pete Wenman

Hard to tell (it may be the photo angle) but be careful that the fuel dump mast under the rudder doesn't protrude beyond the brake chute end cap.

To fit RN carrier lifts, the overall length had to be drastically reduced.

Hi Pete,

That's looking very nice and I'm keen to see how your painting progresses - hope it goes well for you.

I notice in the first photo that you have the fuselage from Academy's F-4J out on the desk... is this underway as well?

cheers,

Andrew.