1/48 F-4C WW conversion set update 7-31

All of the patterns are done and we are making production molds in the next two weeks.    Shooting for a enos February/Early March release.   Versions for the ZM and Academy kits will be offered.

I am very pleased to announce that SpeedHunter is producing a companion sheet with 4 of the Kadena F-4C WW's and some other F-4C's.   A huge thanks to Jake for stepping up and producing this sheet.

24862115_1717490621615846_7219617193847301907_n.jpg

Will have the sets at the 2019 NATS.

Edited by ghatherly

63-7589 is on that sheet! I have every set of markings except for it's time with the 57th FIS. I've been planning on doing a build for it following it's lifespan from when it first scored it's MiG kill to when it ended with the Texas ANG.

Great news Jake.    Looking for release the end of the month of both the Academy and ZM versions.   Taken a little longer than I expected but I am sure everyone will like  the set.   Thanks again Jake for stepping up and helping with this project!

Wow you don't see 57 FIS marking too often. I think I have one in my stash but it is by Scalemaster? Probably all crappy now with it being so old so it is great to see a new state of the art sheet. Also those Michigan F-4s are great too.  Thanks Jake.

Also, I was not aware that the F-4C was a WW as in Wild Weasel right Gary? Gee and I thought I knew a lot about Phantoms. I guess not. Will be good to see an update set to do a couple of these birds on the SHG sheet.

Edited by skyhawk174

Hi,

Yes, both the sheet and the resin set are something to look forward to.:thumbsup:

Here's something about those EF-4C's of the 18th TFW that few are aware of: I think they spent a lot of time at Misawa.

Sure, the 18th TFW was their parent wing, they had these markings and they were photographed at Kadena. but Misawa may have been their real home.

I never saw this in a Phantom book, but I came across it when I was curious about what was at Misawa before the F-16's were there.

It made perfect sense to me, Kadena was very busy and a lot of people were watching it. Misawa was (and in a way it still is) a very remote part of Japan.

Cheers, Stefan.

On 2/6/2018 at 10:08 PM, ThePhantomTwo said:

I'd be up for the update set,my Air National Guard unit flew former Kadena and Spang F-4C Weasels,I started my crew chief career brewing them.

Did those aircraft still have the Weasel capability when they were with the Indiana Guard, or was that capability deleted by that time?

Thanks

Corey

11 hours ago, Corey said:

Did those aircraft still have the Weasel capability when they were with the Indiana Guard, or was that capability deleted by that time?

Thanks

Corey

Yes, they did.

8 hours ago, Niels said:

They were converted back to regular F-4C’s

No, they weren't.  They retained their gear but were flown in a standard air-ground mission.

On 5 February 2018 at 10:32 PM, Stefan buysse said:

Hi,

Yes, both the sheet and the resin set are something to look forward to.:thumbsup:

Here's something about those EF-4C's of the 18th TFW that few are aware of: I think they spent a lot of time at Misawa.

Sure, the 18th TFW was their parent wing, they had these markings and they were photographed at Kadena. but Misawa may have been their real home.

I never saw this in a Phantom book, but I came across it when I was curious about what was at Misawa before the F-16's were there.

It made perfect sense to me, Kadena was very busy and a lot of people were watching it. Misawa was (and in a way it still is) a very remote part of Japan.

Cheers, Stefan.

The Wild Weasel IV-Cs, 36 of which were modified to the role in 1968-69, started operations at Nellis, Yokota and Zweibrucken. Thence (not at the same time) to George, Kadena and Spangdahlem. Then to the IN ANG at Hullman Field and Fort Wayne. 

The F-4Cs were partly Weasel demodified whilst in ANG service but retained the lft fwd pallet and external antennae.

Gary's to be commended for doing this conversion. It's a very important part of the Wild Weasel story.

Tony 

All the external lumps and bumps were still on them,disconnected, cockpit gear for the WW mission removed,strike camera was a permanent fixture on the ex-WW C's. Our gate guard C is a former WW C.

I started my crew chief career on the ex-WW C''s with 181st TFG,by the time I worked on C's all our "vanilla" C's were retired, boneyarded,range targets,or ABDR trainers.

7 hours ago, jmel said:

Yes, they did.

No, they weren't.  They retained their gear but were flown in a standard air-ground mission.

Ok, I read somewhere that they were but apparently it was wrong :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Sorry to be behind on the info but we have been just super busy with orders for SB.   Being in small shop has taxed us and we are finally getting caught up and making parts fo new product kits.    In tow weeks we move form a 800sq ft shop to a 2000 sq ft shop with an office space.  More room to work and get things done !!!!

The F-4C WW kit parts are being made for the ZM and Academy kits and will be introduced at Phoenix.   I plan on bringing a small number of set to the show, as SB will have them after the NATS.   The Academy Wik will feature a completely new under forward fuselage complete with the strike camera.   The Zoukei-Mura set will contain a separate Camera insert replacing the left side of the forward fuselage bottom.   Both sets will have all of the Weasel Antennas,  WSO instrument panel,  two LAU-34 missile rails, two AGM-45 Shrike Missiles,  ALQ-87 ECM pod, and Sparrow Bay Mount.

Sorry it took so long but I want it to be a right as possible and some of the parts, like the Academy fuselage section, were real challenges to not only cast, but repeatedly cast at a high quality.   

We will be in the new shop the week in June, and I will try to get some pictures up at that time.   Price of the set is being targeted around $30.

Thanks all for your patience!!

VTR,

Gary

We will have the ALQ-101 series pods out this summer in 1/48 as we have in 1/32.    FYI,   none of the F-4C WW used the 101 pod.   IN Vietnam they carried the 87's and later no pod at all.    According to the WW crew I have interviewed from Linebacker, the pods were only carried under orders, but never used.  The crews would have much rather carried an additional Sparrow in the slot.   Apparently, unless you had 4+ aircraft each carrying a pod to blind an large area of airspace, they functioned like a homing beacon in singles or pairs the WW's flew,  beacons for the SAMS rather than provide any sort of ECM protection for the WW.

SO the answer is no to the set, but yes as a later item for post war builds.

I didn't get to say it earlier but I did receive my decal sheet from Jake and it is amazing. Top notch quality work as per the standard. Can't thank the two of you enough for collaborating on this project and looking forward to getting the 1/48 set.

• 1 month later...

Just an update:  making the kits now for release at after the IPMS Nationals.  Not sure if I will make the NATS or not, if I do I will have a small quantity of these set for ZM and Academy kits along with intakes and exhausts.   If I don't make it Sprue Brothers will have them fo sale after the NATS.