Hello to all.I am about to build a 1:72 IAI finger of the Argentine Air Force.I want to build it as a camouflaged aircraft and not in the contemporary GREY low vis scheme.I have several decal options.Mostly assembled from scraps and the spares box.A friend of mine has offered me the high planes decals for the aircraft numbered C-423 and C-429 while I have some Dagger decals for the aircraft numbered C-432.For the last 3 days I have been trying to find some photos of the real things but with no success.The decals that my friend has offered me are really strange for me because I have never seen any fingers with this kind of markings on them.Only two flags and one single serial number on the undersides of the aircraft on the front landing gear main door.

Here is the instruction sheet for those two aircraft.

hp72102-iai-finger.jpg

The ones I have area actually in the TAN color and are for a dagger.So I was searching the net and I found that the dagger numbered C-432 was actually upgraded to a FINGER IIIB standard and was destroyed shortly after that in an accident of some sort.

So my question is there is someone who has some photos of the real things and if do I would be greatfull if you share them here so I can see for myself If I can assemble the correct markings for any of this 3 aircraft.My plan is to convert the AML mirage IIICJ with a HPM leftover nose for the finger and to modify the exaust so I can bring it to mirage IIIE/V standard.

Thanks a lot,Dragan

What you are looking at is post Falklands war markings. All national markings were gone with the exception of the national flag on the vertical fin. This photo is apparently C-429 at Tandil in Dec 1989.

cqbX58.jpg

And below, C-429 date unknown.

hCVFT2.jpg

Edited by Tom

Thank you Tom.Great info.I have never seen a Finger in this configuration of markings.I thought this info was for aicraft that ware mid upgrade/overhaul or something like that.But never thought that an operational aircraft could have this type of markings.

Regards,Dragan

11 hours ago, Laurent said:

Unknow but earlier right ? The airplane had a "Nesher nose" at this time. 

Yes, an earlier photo. Full national markings were on the jets for a few years after the conflict so how much earlier is unknown. Jets could be found in flight lines with full markings amidst those with reduced. I don't know when the reduction in national markings was implemented. C-429 has a Nesher nose in both photos - they were in fact ex-IAF Neshers. Look below the small strake on the forward nose and you can see the metal pitot sticking out against the grass in the background.

C-429 was apparently upgraded to Finger IIIA between April 2, 1985 and Dec 8, 1985 and then to Finger IIIB between Feb 17, 1988 and April 20, 1989.

You might be correct that the reduced national markings was implemented with upgrades as opposed to being done just all on its own.

Edited by Tom
14 minutes ago, Tom said:

C-429 has a Nesher nose in both photos - they were in fact ex-IAF Neshers. Look below the small strake on the forward nose and you can see the metal pitot sticking out against the grass in the background.

In the first photo the plane has a "Kfir nose" (conical nose tip, air outlet at the nose/fuselage junction, strake).

46 minutes ago, Laurent said:

In the first photo the plane has a "Kfir nose" (conical nose tip, air outlet at the nose/fuselage junction, strake).

Good catch! I missed that. Part of the modernization/upgrade program to bring the Daggers up to Kfir C2 standards given that they couldn't buy them outright. I don't know which Finger upgrade level this would have been part of.