Looking for some input.  I'm building the Tamiya Skyray and I am wondering if it is painted red under the leading edge slats.  Looking at photos it doesn't appear so, but they are black and white and hard to tell.  The instructions do not call out a color for under the slats.  I am just wondering if they should be red.

Thanks

Hang on a minute, somewhere over on shelf is book titled something like Douglas' Killer Rays, and maybe even a Ginter book on the thing, not sure it I have just the F5D Skylancer book or both it and F4D.

Edit --> Okay, what can be determined from color photos in Killer Rays is that wing upper surface below movable part of slat is same grey color as remainder of upper wing surface, or occasionally white. And I think orange on a test bird where surrounding wing is orange.

What can not be determined is color of underside of movable part of slat - no photos at all from required angle, either color or B&W.

Edit 2 --> Aaaaaand, first hit on the web is an exception to the above, red upper wing surface below slat, http://www.cloud9photography.us/Military-Aviation-10/USN-F4D-1-Skyray-pictures/i-gftqNPC 

Which of course says nothing concrete about bottom of slat itself.

Edit 3 --> Total unrepentant tangent ... ooohhh, a stick and tissue Skyray! http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1317867615/15

Edit 4 --> You need to find the mechanic who worked on that slat on the specific day you are modeling your plane for.

Edited by southwestforests

hi dekon.

i have had the same problem with the vietnam era skyraider gear doors rims some time ago.

in the end it wound up as that it depends on the period, but if you check it "by the book" you will find out that the t.o. for red on "pinching" areas was issued by the navy in a some year i should go and check myself as i can't remember for sure.

BUT from the t.o. to reality it might have passsed even years. i mean that some squadrons adopted the red almost immediately while some others took their time.

you can even find -e.g. for the a-4- in the same sqadron some aircraft painted and others unpainted.

so, it's just a bit up to you. if you like how it looks, paint it red; otherwise leave it f.s. 36440 as all upper fixed surfaces.

upon your input i made myself -i have too a tamiya f-d 4 who's waiting in my stash- a little web search, but the only red painted slats' steps i found were in a model kit made by someone who iked it that way.

so, put yourself in the shoes of a squadron leader or better of a crew chief and just do as you feel.

anyway, i repeat, that most of the color pics don't show red at any rate.

hope this helps.

best ciaos and happy modeling!

bobo.

Edited by Bobo1953
correction

From my research when I built a Skyray, the area under the slat is the same color as the top of the wing. Also, there is no step or ridge on the top surface of the wing where the slat edge is when the slat is closed. There is no sort of recess where the slat goes, it stands proud of the wing (maybe 2mm in real life)

I also found that almost every picture of a Skyray on the ground had the pitch trimmers angled up about 20° or 30°. They are not hydraulically actuated, they are moved by a jack screw and electric motor so they stay where they were last left when the power is removed. I suppose since there's no issue with them flopping around in the wind it's normal to leave them that way since that's the way they'll need to be the next time the jet takes off.

couple of pictures of my VMF(AW)-531 Skyray from the MPC (Airfix) kit

vbVgJK4.jpg

bshhiTd.jpg

Edited by Grey Ghost 531
7 minutes ago, Ben Brown said:

Here's Tommy's blog about painting crush points red: LINK

Ben

Ben - thanks for the link. Note that it now has a couple of updates showing examples of red on the F4D wing that would be covered by the closed slat.

Also for my post on the F4D itself, see https://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2010/10/bat-out-of-hell.html

6 hours ago, Grey Ghost 531 said:

From my research when I built a Skyray, the area under the slat is the same color as the top of the wing. Also, there is no step or ridge on the top surface of the wing where the slat edge is when the slat is closed. There is no sort of recess where the slat goes, it stands proud of the wing (maybe 2mm in real life)

I also found that almost every picture of a Skyray on the ground had the pitch trimmers angled up about 20° or 30°. They are not hydraulically actuated, they are moved by a jack screw and electric motor so they stay where they were last left when the power is removed. I suppose since there's no issue with them flopping around in the wind it's normal to leave them that way since that's the way they'll need to be the next time the jet takes off.

couple of pictures of my VMF(AW)-531 Skyray from the MPC (Airfix) kit

vbVgJK4.jpg

bshhiTd.jpg

Great looking build!  Thanks for the tip on the pitch trimmers.