Two mystery figure kits - anyone recognize them?

At our most recent club meeting a member showed two figure models of which he did not remember the manufacturer and/or scale. Does anyone recognize them? I'm writing a report of the meeting, and would like to tell something about them. Thanks in advance!

Rob

PS: I also added a picture showing the model table during the meeting. We had a full house :-)

rzh-jan2018-48.jpg

rzh-jan2018-49.jpg

rzh-jan2018-50.jpg

Edited by Rob de Bie

Wow...I don't know about the figures, but who built the NP-3D?! I thought I must be the only one to have done one of those. This is how 153442 look when I flew on her back in '08-'11. She recently was retired to the boneyard, stripped and cut up for scrap.

IMG_7358.jpg

IMG_7362.jpg

IMG_7376.jpg

Edited by 82Whitey51
5 hours ago, 82Whitey51 said:

Wow...I don't know about the figures, but who built the NP-3D?! I thought I must be the only one to have done one of those. This is how 153442 look when I flew on her back in '08-'11. She recently was retired to the boneyard, stripped and cut up for scrap.

Very well spotted! And yours looks very nice, I love in-flight models! The model was built by Bas Damen, some years ago. I do not know much more than that - it was a very busy club meeting and we discussed it only briefly. Here's a better photo of the model. Unfortunately it had tipped on its tail when the photo was made.

Rob

rzh-jan2018-23.jpg

3 hours ago, Don said:

The American Indian figure is a 120mm Amati figure from "The Last of the Mohicans" line:

s-l300.jpg

Can't help with the navy figure sorry.

Don, many thanks! Are you familiar enough with Amati figures to say that the other model is not made by Amati?

Rob

Rob,

I would say that the naval figure is not Amati. It just lacks the detail. The figure looks smaller then 120mm, almost 1/35 in size. But its hard to tell from the picture. At first I thought Corgi but dismissed that when I noticed what looks like a small sprue gate remnant on the base and a noticeable flash seam also on the base. You can also see where the arms were attached at the shoulder so it was indeed assembled, which further eliminates preassembled figures like Corgi and others.  Sorry I can't be of more help. The thing with figure builders is there are so many kits, so many figures, various scales, and so many customizations that unless the builder knows what kit(s) he/she used than it can be very difficult to figure out which kit(s) it was.

Good luck!

Regards,

Don

18 minutes ago, Don said:

I would say that the naval figure is not Amati. It just lacks the detail. The figure looks smaller then 120mm, almost 1/35 in size. But its hard to tell from the picture. At first I thought Corgi but dismissed that when I noticed what looks like a small sprue gate remnant on the base and a noticeable flash seam also on the base. You can also see where the arms were attached at the shoulder so it was indeed assembled, which further eliminates preassembled figures like Corgi and others.  Sorry I can't be of more help. The thing with figure builders is there are so many kits, so many figures, various scales, and so many customizations that unless the builder knows what kit(s) he/she used than it can be very difficult to figure out which kit(s) it was.

Don, thanks for your reply and research! I asked all our club members and an answer arrived minutes ago. It's a tin figure made by the 'Stichting voor Modelfiguren' (SVM) here in the Netherlands. It represents Jan van Speijk, and I copied the following from Wikipedia:

When the Belgian War of Independence began, Van Speijk was given command of a Dutch gunboat. Van Speijk despised the Belgian independence movement, and he said he would rather die "than become an infamous Brabander". On February 5, 1831, a gale blew his gunboat into the quay at the port of Antwerp. The Belgians quickly stormed his ship, demanding Van Speijk haul down the Dutch flag. Rather than surrender his ship, he fired a pistol (some versions say he threw a lighted cigar) into a barrel of gunpowder in the ship's magazine. According to legend, he shouted "Dan liever de lucht in" ( "(I'd) rather be blown up"). The number of Belgians killed is unknown, though it probably numbered in the dozens. Twenty-eight of his 31 crewmen also perished in the blast.

Now the barrel makes a lot more sense.

Rob

4 hours ago, Rob de Bie said:

Very well spotted! And yours looks very nice, I love in-flight models! The model was built by Bas Damen, some years ago. I do not know much more than that - it was a very busy club meeting and we discussed it only briefly. Here's a better photo of the model. Unfortunately it had tipped on its tail when the photo was made.

Rob

rzh-jan2018-23.jpg

Thank you! Tell him he did a fantastic job...not an easy conversion.

43 minutes ago, Rob de Bie said:

Don, thanks for your reply and research! I asked all our club members and an answer arrived minutes ago. It's a tin figure made by the 'Stichting voor Modelfiguren' (SVM) here in the Netherlands. It represents Jan van Speijk, and I copied the following from Wikipedia:

When the Belgian War of Independence began, Van Speijk was given command of a Dutch gunboat. Van Speijk despised the Belgian independence movement, and he said he would rather die "than become an infamous Brabander". On February 5, 1831, a gale blew his gunboat into the quay at the port of Antwerp. The Belgians quickly stormed his ship, demanding Van Speijk haul down the Dutch flag. Rather than surrender his ship, he fired a pistol (some versions say he threw a lighted cigar) into a barrel of gunpowder in the ship's magazine. According to legend, he shouted "Dan liever de lucht in" ( "(I'd) rather be blown up"). The number of Belgians killed is unknown, though it probably numbered in the dozens. Twenty-eight of his 31 crewmen also perished in the blast.

Now the barrel makes a lot more sense.

Rob

Thanks Rob. It was really bugging me that I couldn't figure it out (no pun intended LOL!).

Regards,

Don

1 hour ago, Don said:

Thanks Rob. It was really bugging me that I couldn't figure it out (no pun intended LOL!).

Regards,

Don

You're welcome! I need to correct the manufacturer's name: it's 'Nederlandse Stichting voor Modelfiguren' (NSM) and here their website: Nederlandse Stichting voor Modelfiguren. The figure is listed on this page: Beroemde Nederlanders

Rob