So just curious, when is that y'all give up on a model that went south.  I am currently working on the Academy F-15 in 1/72, and it went south damn quick, so I figured meh it was just me, so I went out and bought a duplicate thinking hey I can replace the parts didn't work out that maybe they fixed the molds upon the new release, nope, same problems, things didn't fit, they were off, so at what point do y'all just say screw it and say nope, I am done.  

Don't force it. Pressing on under frustration only leads to disaster in my experience.  A good portion of us have shelves that hold models in various states of completion (we call them "Shelf Queens"). If you have lost interest or things aren't going well sometimes its best to just set the model aside and move on to a different model (or take a break and come back refreshed and with a clear head). Eventually you will come back to the shelved model(s)...maybe a few weeks, months, or heck even years  (goodness knows I have a few "Queens" that are quite old). This hobby can certainly be frustrating at times, but try to keep it as fun and enjoyable as possible.

My two cents.

Good luck and enjoy!

Regards,

Don

I've only given up on a few kits, but have plenty waiting for me to get off my duff and finish setting up my stuff in our new house (only been in it for a little over a year now-too many boxes to clean up yet, though).  I'd rather leave them lurking and ignore them for a while (years in some cases, just like Don) than bin them (but I have binned a few).

Tom

You can replace some damaged or short-shot (incompletely formed) parts with scratchbuilding or after market, depending on the kit. Mis-aligment is unlikely to be better in the next kit unless it's a badly warped part. Warped parts can be fixed with some hot water and carefully reforming the plastic.

If it’s a crappy kit, look on line for the BEST version of what you want to build and go for it. You can certainly find enough reviews around to steer you in the right direction. That’s what I would do.

I rarely run into a kit that just beats me into the ground to the point of submission. Generally, I just put it down for a few days or weeks, then pick it up again, and forge on to completion. Well, that's the plan. But to be completely honest, I've averaged 1 kit per year that I hated to the point of tossing it after my retry failed as badly as the 1st attempt.  Generally, it's a combination of the kit and me, but I just never could see saving Shelf Queens that I just moved on from.  Just knowing that it's on the self taunting me, would drive me nuts. :taunt:

Joel