OV-10A Bronco "Black Pony"

I just recently started my 1/72 Academy OV-10A Bronco. Thanks to Dutch I will get some decals to build a bird from VAL-4, the "Black Ponies".

I want to build one of the earlier birds with the green-camoflage. Can anyone confirm that the belly and underwing are painted in a light grey? Or is it white?

HAJO

Thanks!

A couple of the Black Ponies had white wings on the upper side - were the lower sides of the wings white as well or also grey? I ask because I haven´t been able to identify a color demarcation line between a lower grey and an upper white on the wingtips on the pictures I have.

HAJO

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I have to thank "Dutch" for sending me a couple of Wolfpack-decals for VAL-4!

My question now is: The WP decals depict a "late" "Black Pony" (although labelled as "1968") in grey camo. This outfit has the squadron logo (black pony on yellow circle) on both sides of the airframe, in contrast to the logo shown above by the picture of ziggyfoos.

Any idea if the black pony on yellow circle has been worn on green birds as well? Because I´d love to do a green bird.

HAJO

Edited by Hajo L.
22 minutes ago, Hajo L. said:

My question now is: The WP decals depict a "late" "Black Pony" (although labelled as "1968") in grey camo. This outfit has the squadron logo (black pony on yellow circle) on both sides of the airframe, in contrast to the logo shown above by the picture of ziggyfoos.

Any idea if the black pony on yellow circle has been worn on green birds as well? Because I´d love to do a green bird.

I'm not sure what you mean by yellow circle. If you're talking about the large tail marking's background color or the background of the VAL-4 insignia on the nose they were both only red.

The overall grey VAL-4 scheme began in 1971. If you're wanting green/grey camo with the red/black pony on the tail there was a period in 1971 with those markings (spinners were gold) but the nose modex was in white. Here's 104:

72003-3.jpg

Edited by ziggyfoos

Thank you for your reply! I wrote "yellow" because that´s the color the WP-decals came in... Which seems to be a heavy misprint! Both the insignias on the sheet are yellow - the one on the tail and the one on the nose!

Hmm, maybe I´ll try to print one of the insignias myself on white decal-paper...

HAJO

• 2 months later...