AIM-9 Sidewinder question

Can anyone tell me if the forward fins (canards?) on the AIM-9E were the same fins as used on the AIM-9B;  and located at the same position on the body?    I am trying to make a 1/32 AIM-9E by grafting the nose of the -9J (Cutting Edge) onto the body of the -9B (Eduard) .   The rear fins (wings?) are the same and I can adjust the length by how much nose I graft on to the body, but I'm unsure if the forward fins of the -9B are the correct size and shape for the -9E and if they are located at the same place on the body.   Anyone know of detailed scaled drawings of missiles on line?

Canards are essentially the same on the B and E (the mounting point is a little different, but nothing major).

The conversion won't be that straightforward, though.  The -9B has different wings, with rectangular rollerons; the E and J have trapezoidal rollerons.  But the -9J has a longer body, so you can't just glue on -9B canards.  To get the right mix of components and spacing, you basically need to combine a B body and canards with a J seeker and wings.  NVM.  Turns out Eduard have E/F/J wings on their -9B, so yeah, you can just graft on a pointy seeker and call it a day.  Although if you're using the 1/72 missiles, I'd re-work the canards, as they're pretty chunky looking.

I'd also suggest carefully measuring the diameter of the CE and Eduard body components - while they're both *supposed* to be a scale 5", there's a good chance they won't be the same.

Edited by MoFo
Brassin Mediocrity

Thank you MoFo, that helps a bunch.    I'll give it a shot and see how it works out.    Good advice on the body diameter.   I calipered the two bodies and they were within  .003" of each other.    A little sanding after assembly should do the trick.  (I had hoped Eduard would follow up with more 1/32 sidewinders, but I got tired of waiting.)

The E was 6.5" longer than the B, all of it in front of the guidance fins. The change to those fins was that they came pre-assembled on the B guidance section, but were detachable on the E.

BTW, the Es were introduced in 1969 and were the primary Sidewinder variant used by the USAF during Linebacker (May-Oct 72). The AIM-9Js saw limited introduction beginning in August 1972. They were only used by the USAF, never by the USN/MC.

Edited by mrvark
Added info