Airfix 1/48 scale Hawker Hurricane Mk 1

2 hours ago, kurnass77 said:

Ehi Joel,

you're very fast!

I like your work 'till now.

The 4-holed "box" inside each wing is for some kind of gun bay details?

Keep up the good work friend!

Gianni

Gianni,

Thanks  for stopping by and checking out the build to date. 

exactly. Both wings have the option to open up the gun bays. I thought about it, but to do it correctly the complex shaped bays need along the inner lip a small ledge that has the holes for the fasteners. I've attempted those in the past, and while ok, wasn't up to the standards I like to build at. I also felt that it would just spoil the look of the aircraft, as I've never been one to open up many panels if any.

Joel

1 hour ago, dnl42 said:

Very nice work on the rudder pedals and stick. Those Yahu IPs are just amazing, truly.

dnl42,

Much appreciated for your most kind words. 

Those Yahu IPs are insane. And they only cost $5 each. So I bought everyone that Hobbyworld-USA had for aircraft in my stash or that I was planning on building in the near future.

Joel

7 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Hey Joel,

This is a restoration, but perhaps this in-progress restoration effort will provide some useful pix...

dnl42,

Heading there now, but most of the build is done. I'll be doing a few more Hurricanes to go along with my Spitfires, so the info will come in extremely handy. Thanks so much for the link.

Joel

At little more progress after another week into the build.
  I assembled the horizontal stabilizers,and then glued them to the fuselage. The fit was almost perfect, but as usual a little filler was needed to blend in the joint. The Rudder was glued  off center to the vertical Stab for a visual effect. The elevators are a one piece unit, but since I had elected to previously fit and glue the small fuselage section that holds the connecting rod in place, I just cut the rod in half, and glued up both stabilizers in a down position.  Airfix should really be commended for having all the trailing edges recessed so that you can position the flying surfaces so that they automatically seat correctly without having to file and sand a grove.

UiPfR2.jpg

Next up was the Ailerons. The fit is just perfect. Airfix denotes that the up Aileron should be at a max of 22 degrees, and 21 degrees down. I have no idea if that's correct or not, but I got it as close as eye balling will work for me.
Then using the Eduard masks I readied the windscreen for painting, and glued it in place. The fit was perfect. One swipe of Vajello White Acrylic putty finished off the seam.

TGAMtx.jpg

ZxhrgZ.jpg

qWP1xo.jpg

XM8sGi.jpg

GpynBn.jpg

1QGMkL.jpg

If you looked carefully at the above pictures, you can see that the wing tip lenses and leading edge lenses were already installed. While they fit just about perfectly, there were a few gaps and one of the leading edge lenses was ever so slightly to tall. I 1st drilled a hole for each wing tip light bulb color: Red & Green. Then painted it silver, then added drops of Tamiya Clear in the proper color, when dry, the lens was glued into place with Extra Thin. For the leading edge lights they're included, and once painted look realistic. I then glued them and they lenses into position.
 I gave the Extra Thin a full day to dry and cure, then I coating of CCA Gel, and let that dry for a few hours. Next I sanded it, polished it, and buffed it the best I could. While not exactly crystal clear, you can easily see right through all of them.

4cx4Q9.jpg

vKZhng.jpg

Fcwqvq.jpg

In the above picture, you can see the I started to re-scribe the panel lines that were sanded away. While not perfect by a long shot, it's the best to date I've been able to accomplish.
The radiator intake is missing a stiffening rod, so I drilled a centered hole, and using stretched sprue made one. Sounds easy enough, but I always struggle getting these type of details correct. You can see two previous attempts that were close but no cigar. The holes have been filled and finished since these pictures were taken.

xF3dDj.jpg

iFq6oH.jpg

and here's the rear of the radiator housing. Door and actuating rods are kit parts. That's why I can't figure out why the rod for the intake wasn't modeled.

SLX856.jpg

there are several vents and holes that are molded in the engine cowling and fuselage that are nicely done, but just needed to be to be drilled out.

HsrK8s.jpg

You'll also notice that I used a fair amount of Bondo to blend in the front wing roots on both sides. Not sure if the issue was me or not, but a little sanding to shape, and then Bondo to blend everything, took care of the issues. It looks a lot worse then it really was.
And once again now you're up to date on my Hurricane Mk1 build.
Thanks to all that stop by and look, and a special thanks to those that leave comments. It's greatly appreciated.

Joel
7 hours ago, crackerjazz said:

Looking good, Joel!  Love the Bondo work! and those lenses look great!

Crackerjazz,

Thanks for stopping by. The Bondo work looks way more complicated then it was. And the lenses fit almost perfectly, but not quite up to IPMS standards, and eventually she'll be entered this year or next in two IPMS contests.

Joel

5 hours ago, CaptainObvious said:

Oh you're putting this one together quick.
Nice detail work!

Capt. Obvious. 

Even for me, this one while looking complicated has just fallen together like a Tamiya kit. Maybe the fact that I've retired from work and have taken a full month off without working much around the house, has afforded me a ton of time.  

Joel

4 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Joel,

You always do a great job on those lenses! Excellent work on the radiator!

dnl42,

Thanks so much for that thumbs up. As for the lenses, I use to always leave them for a last min detail, and usually paid the penalty. Now I nail them down as part of the build. 

Joel

Joel

Looking good and I went out and did a foolish thing I bought 2 Airfix P-51D's and the P-40B. Then I raided Tom G's sale post I think for prop's its time to come back to 1/48.

These 1/32 Tamiya uber kits are just to overwellming right now just need some nice kits to get back into the wing of things.

Don

Don,

I took a year long break from 1/48 and moved up to 1/32 scale as my buddies convinced me that it's the best bang for the buck. I built and did a ton of corrections to the Trumpeter F4F-3 including the wheel wells which are completely wrong. Then I was pleasantly surprised with their A4-E. That was more then 1 years worth, and I was literally burnt out. Sold off 6 kits including Tamiya's P-51D, F4U-1, & -1A and came back home. Best move I've made, as I just enjoy every aspect of 1/48 scale more.  Nothing wrong with building in 1/32 scale as I met some of the best modelers on LSP, but it just wasn't for me. 

So don't feel guilty, just make the move when you're ready

Joel

15 hours ago, AlienFrogModeller said:

Love the techniques and the skill of your assembly. Well done sir; watching your progression with anticipation.

AlienFrogModeller

Thanks so much for stopping by and liking my progress to date. It's much appreciated.

Joel

It's been a while since my last update, but the build has continued at my usual snail's pace. Finished up the re-puttying work, and primed with  Mig Ammo black acrylic primer. Found more small issues, and reworked them. Then I re-primed, and everything looked ok, so I applied my Black Basing squigglies with Mig Ammo Gray primer.

9KZ18y.jpg

22FuJm.jpg

lDTRgt.jpg

Next work session I air brushed the bottom BS 210 Mig Ammo 243 Sky Type S from their Early RAF WWII set.
    I didn't take any pictures during the individual painting steps, so these were shot after I completed the base color coats

8CZStK.jpg

4VS5d1.jpg

Then I masked off the bottom for a hard demarcation line, and painted the top 1st with an overall coat of Mig Ammo BS 450 Medium Brown Dark Earth. I gave the paint a few days to dry, then came the long and laborious task of cutting the masks to make a hard line type B Camo pattern copying both the kit instructions and detail drawings I found online. I got close but it's not perfect by a long shot. Total time to complete the masking was 5 hours in one session.
   After I cleaned my air brush I removed all the masking, and I was really quite pleased that I didn't have any issues with the hard line, and just two small spots on the bottom where the paint pulled off with the primer. I feathered it out with #8,000 & 12,000 Micro Mesh pads and re-painted. fortunately, it came out just fine.
   For some reason when I edited the pictures the white balance seems off and the top side colors are a little to light and bright. Next photo session I'll go back to my old Auto WB settings and make the minor corrections in post rather then the pre-adjustments I made this time.

s6iICp.jpg

ymRat8.jpg

i9gyXr.jpg

uXDSC5.jpg

One issue is that the black basing really is almost completely hidden even though I thinned out the paint 2 parts paint to 4 parts Yellow Cap thinner. Just too many layers of paint. So I'll be doing post shading before decaling and weathering.
   Thanks for stopping by and checking out my build to date.

Joel

Joel,

I thought the black basing was quite effective! Perhaps it looks better in the photos?

Did you draw the masks by hand or print them to scale and cut?

3 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Joel,

I thought the black basing was quite effective! Perhaps it looks better in the photos?

Did you draw the masks by hand or print them to scale and cut?

dnl42,

I can see some color modulation, but it's weaker then I thought it should be as most of it will kind of vanish once I start to do some moderate weathering. 

the masks were hand drawn then cut out using Tamiya tape that I laid out on my cutting mat at various angles and slowly worked my way around the Hurricane.

Joel