Airfix 1/48 scale Hawker Hurricane Mk 1

I think the weak modulation is good....less is better, if you have too much it will start to look like a weathering products ad :P

Looks nice with the paints on even with the off white balance :P

Beauty Joel!:thumbsup:

Me too have problem with the photografy...the funny is that when I photografed in the past my model with a pocket digital camera on the kitchen table with a simple blue background,the result was better than now that I've a daylight set with a digital reflex...

The learnng curve is still hard!

Gianni

Edited by kurnass77
11 hours ago, Aigore said:

I think the weak modulation is good....less is better, if you have too much it will start to look like a weathering products ad :P

Looks nice with the paints on even with the off white balance :P

Janne,

thanks for stopping by and the positive support. today it does look a little better. Maybe just a touch of post shading before weathering with oils. 

Joel

9 hours ago, Fozzy said:

Good job Joel!...looking forward to the weathering on this bird!

Fozzy,

Glad you like where the build is going. Looking forward to the weathering as well. Even I can't screw that up. Well, so far I haven't.

Joel

56 minutes ago, kurnass77 said:

Beauty Joel!:thumbsup:

Me too have problem with the fotography...the funny is that when I photografed in the past my model with a pocket digital camera on the kitchen table with a simple blue background,the result was better than now that I've a daylight set with a digital reflex...

The learnng curve is still hard!

Gianni

Gianni,

Glad you like my efforts to date. 

My other hobby is Photography, and I shoot with Nikons DSLRs,. The WB issue is totally mine. I've always left it in WB auto, and let the senor decide on the Kelvin temp. It's so easy to adjust in Post processing with Adobe Lightroom. For some reason when I opted for daylight, it should have forced 5500 kelvin, but it didn't. All the pictures were between 5000-5500k, and for some reason when I corrected it, the colors were still slightly off even to some degree. I'll go back to my regular settings next time. 

Joel

Edited by Joel_W
4 hours ago, Joel_W said:

Gianni,

Glad you like my efforts to date. 

My other hobby is Photography, and I shoot with Nikons DSLRs,. The WB issue is totally mine. I've always left it in WB auto, and let the senor decide on the Kelvin temp. It's so easy to adjust in Post processing with Adobe Lightroom. For some reason when I opted for daylight, it should have forced 5500 kelvin, but it didn't. All the pictures were between 5000-5500k, and for some reason when I corrected it, the colors were still slightly off even to some degree. I'll go back to my regular settings next time. 

Joel

That's why the deities created photo editing software :P

39 minutes ago, Aigore said:

That's why the deities created photo editing software :P

Janne,

I spend more time in post with Lightroom 6.1, then out in the field shooting.

Joel

As my brother pointed out, the colors aren't correct. They're much to bright, with a cast of  yellow to them especially in the Dark Green.
  At 1st I thought it was a White Balance issue, but that's always correctable in post processing using Lightroom 6.1. I could have spent time playing with the Hue, Saturation, and Luminance filters to come closer, but that doesn't solve the issue.

After just thinking about it, the answer has to be the lighting that I've been using, which is what I model with plus one more Tensor light. I used two tensor table lamps which I assumed was 5500k and a Ottlite which is 5500k. The Tensor bulbs aren't close. So I'm going to buy two clip on reflectors and two 5500k balanced floods.

But for a test I reset up the lights, put on my 105mm Macro lens which required me to be back more then 4 ft., and used my flash (not the pop up). With a EV setting of -.7, I got close enough to the correct exposure so that the picture is now what I see on the workbench. The Brown is somewhat darker, but the Dark Green is now a Dark Green.

Before:
i9gyXr.jpg

After:
bwzErY.jpg

Joel
Edited by Joel_W
1 hour ago, kurnass77 said:

Look way better my friend!

Gianni

Gianni,

At least I got the image color right, and it does match the call outs. So as I told my brother, close is good enough for me, as weathering will only darken the colors further. 

Joel

I like read your post.I can always find something helpful to me.To get an available photo in model building is really an issue.sometimes a cell phone camera is just a makeshift  one.so much waiting for me to learn.

I'm looking forward your hurricane's  weathering.

Feng 

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 4:47 AM, egg2012 said:

I like read your post.I can always find something helpful to me.To get an available photo in model building is really an issue.sometimes a cell phone camera is just a makeshift  one.so much waiting for me to learn.

I'm looking forward your hurricane's  weathering.

Feng 

Feng,

Glad that you find my posts helpful in your modeling. That's one of the major reasons I post detail builds even of what are basically OOB builds these days.

Joel

On 2018-03-05 at 10:22 PM, Joel_W said:

Janne

and it's the truth.  It's like to separate hobbies that meet in the middle.

Joel

Indeed.... documenting builds took me from simple cellphone pics to using a semipro SLR :P and I like shooting all kinds of things...waiting for my perfect bee landing on a flower -shot

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 2:37 PM, Aigore said:

Indeed.... documenting builds took me from simple cellphone pics to using a semipro SLR :P and I like shooting all kinds of things...waiting for my perfect bee landing on a flower -shot

Janne,

I'm shooting with a Nikon D7100 DSLR these days,  with 5 lenses in my arsenal.  I love macro work especially florals and flying insects, so I have  the Nikkor 105mm macro lens. I'm also into birding and sports, so at the other end of my lens stable is the new 150-600mm Sigma Contemporary lens.   

Joel

Another week has gone by, another Nor'easter snow storm heading right for Long Island once again. That's 3 Storms in 2 weeks. Warmest February on record followed by one of the worst Marches snow wise on record as well. At least being retired I no longer have to worry about getting to work, nor home from work. Just pray that my old snow blower makes it through the season. Last storm the cable that engages the drive gears broke. Luckily, I was able to repair it easy enough.
   This past week I glossed the Hurricane with Tamiya's X-22 Clear gloss over a 3 day period.  For the 1st time in what seems like ages, I decided to use the kits decals after reading several build blogs that all gave them quite positive assessments . The Airfix decals look virtually perfect in color and registration. they're thin but not so thin as to be prone to tearing or curling. And they're not Gloss, they have a beautiful mat finish to them. To bad that I'm going to have to gloss over them to seal the decals, as well as the base for whatever weathering I'm going to be doing. I'm guessing that the Matt finish doesn't require any clear gloss varnish to applied over them, making the decals that much easier to work with.

tEkIKU.jpg

pHifLA.jpg

Edx6QU.jpg

The decals behaved so well, that I had little trouble overlapping the tail Red, White, & Blue decals from both sides.

THhDpV.jpg

The Airfix decals didn't respond all that well to Micro Set, but settled down with Sol fairly well. A final coat of Solvaset, and they settled into the nooks & crannies with just the slightest prodding and patting.
Joel