Airfix 1/48 scale Hawker Hurricane Mk 1

1 hour ago, AlienFrogModeller said:

Nice work Joel, looks real good with markings applied. I like the matt decals, gives the sealing coat something to stick to.

Can't wait for the weathering....:popcorn:

AFM,

Thanks my friend for those most kind words. Like you, I'm  really looking forward to weathering as that's one step in the build process that I usually don't screw up.

Joel

8 hours ago, Joel_W said:

Janne,

I'm shooting with a Nikon D7100 DSLR these days,  with 5 lenses in my arsenal.  I love macro work especially florals and flying insects, so I have  the Nikkor 105mm macro lens. I'm also into birding and sports, so at the other end of my lens stable is the new 150-600mm Sigma Contemporary lens.   

Joel

We have almost the same camera, I've got the slightly newer D7200 :) I only own two lenses, a kit 18-55 and a 55-300 tele zoom.

Finally finished applying the stencils, gave the Hurricane a day to let everything dry, then I gave it another coat of Tamiya X-22 and a final wet coat really thinned out.
   Gave that a day to dry, then I applied Tamiya panel line wash to all the recessed panel lines. Topside was done with Dark Brown, and the underside with Dark Gray. Gave that a hour to set, and I really didn't like the Dark Gray as you couldn't really see it. I'll reserve that for various shades of white. So I applied Tamiya Black and it looks better but was a little to dark. Next time I'll mix the two and come up with a really dark gray.
   Next up was a filter  mixed 8 parts Yellow Cap to 1 part paint of Tamiya XF-57 Buff to simulate Dust and dried Earth. It also had the effect of helping to tone down the Dark Brown and Dark Green.
   And finally I airbrushed on a few coats of Testors Dullcoat.
   I removed all the masking tape on the windscreen, leading edge lights, and wing tip lights. And dry fitted the canopy to get a sense of how the cockpit looks.
   Took some quick pictures but forgot to give it a wipe down with a tack cloth as dust this time of the  year is a constant issue.

nKEttZ.jpg

2IpjXn.jpg

b4KERz.jpg

JECkP7.jpg

JABn5y.jpg

Thanks to all for stopping by. Any and all comments are more then welcome.

Joel
9 hours ago, Falconxlvi said:

Looking really sweet Joel!  On the homestretch now!

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for stopping by it's much appreciated. Yeah, finally in the home stretch, but I've still got a lot of the little things to do and tie up.

Joel

7 minutes ago, Fozzy said:

Lovely looking Hurricane!!

Fozzy,

Thanks so much for your thumbs up :thumbsup:.  Coming from such an accomplished and skilled modeler is truly appreciated.

Joel

Gianni,

Thanks for stopping by and checking out my progress to date. It's much appreciated. 

I didn't think of that as I just got the other two colors till after the dust filter and Dullcoat was air brushed on. Fortunately. the recessed panel lines are so fine that the effect isn't that over stated.

Joel

1 hour ago, Aigore said:

Looking fantastic :D

Gonna be a stunner :D

Janne

Thanks so much my friend. It's greatly appreciated.  All that's left is the two antenna wires that I truly struggle with. No depth of field with just one eye.

Joel

15 minutes ago, Joel_W said:

Janne

Thanks so much my friend. It's greatly appreciated.  All that's left is the two antenna wires that I truly struggle with. No depth of field with just one eye.

Joel

Now that is a bummer :(

Any way to make it easier? Higher contrast maybe?

It's been less then a week since my last update, but the Airfix Hawker Hurricane Mk1 build has crossed the finish line in what is for me record breaking time of just 2 months and a few days. Of course, I've also finally retired at the ripe old age of 70, so I've been able to model just about every day during these winter months.
    As I said at the start of this build, this is my 1st Airfix kit since I 1st came back to modeling in the mid 1970s, when my brother found a strange new type of hobby shop in Syosset New York, dedicated to just plastic modeling: The Squadron shop.
     I've read kit reviews, followed builds, and watched videos  on the new Airfix kits, and everyone raves about them. Well, I've joined that group for sure. Airfix in my book is the equal  to just about all the major manufactures, while also offering incredible pricing. And while I still avoid Tamiya decals like the plaque, Airfix's decals were simply superb.
    Overall, the build was fun, relaxing, without any surprises or issues if one follows the instructions.  My only nagging issue is one that I caused, has nothing to do with Airfix, and that's the Antenna wires. I've always made them with stretched spure, pulled as thin as I can make them. While that method is perfect for my days in 1/72 scale, I've been wondering if they're just to thin for 1/48 scale. So I made these wires somewhat thicker, but now I'm not sure if they're too thick. I haven't painted them as yet as I can't make up my mind one way or the other. So please, let me know what all of you think.
    Thanks to all that have been along for the journey from day one and have stayed the course. As always thanks so much for your support and suggestions, as they all mean a great deal to me.   Below is the final set of pictures taken right after the Hurricane Mk1 crossed the line.
Joel

4YiEej.jpg

sTuCUM.jpg

LWvXjJ.jpg

aXY9UD.jpg

MH6j8C.jpg

BB5bwn.jpg

zuKyKA.jpg

EKn9lN.jpg

IhJxqZ.jpg

Ciutcr.jpg

51TcTp.jpg

NG5Q5W.jpg

2dT5Tc.jpg

tbp56O.jpg

JNExOk.jpg

jILwNH.jpg

hAHzrY.jpg

zyBPL3.jpg

Edited by Joel_W

Earlier in the war there was still a fear that the Germans might use poison gases and gas detector panels, designed to change colour if exposed to gas, were placed on aircraft and ground equipment and that is what the  yellow square represents. The colour is perhaps a bit off (more of a "snot"green/yellow in reality) but clearly more expensive to run two different yellows on the decal sheet so it only represents the panel......Great build by the way.....

Edited by RCAFFAN
22 hours ago, AlienFrogModeller said:

Well done sir. Love your photography. What is the significance of the yellow square on the left wing tip?

AFM,

Thanks so much my friend for your thumbs up, and appreciating my somewhat limited photographic skills. As for the meaning of the yellow square I didn't really know, but RCAFFAN came to the rescue that it's a gas detector panel.

Joel 

21 hours ago, Fozzy said:

Well done Joel!....a great looking Hurricane showed off by some good photography!... congratulations!

Fozzy,

thanks so much for those more then kind words. They're greatly appreciated.

Joel

20 hours ago, RCAFFAN said:

Earlier in the war there was still a fear that the Germans might use poison gases and gas detector panels, designed to change colour if exposed to gas, were placed on aircraft and ground equipment and that is what the  yellow square represents. The colour is perhaps a bit off (more of a "snot"green/yellow in reality) but clearly more expensive to run two different yellows on the decal sheet so it only represents the panel......Great build by the way.....

RCAFFAN,

thanks so much for the explanation of what that panel is for. I had absolutely no idea, or a hint of where to find the answer other then hoping that someone would furnish it here. And thanks for those kinds words about my build, it's much appreciated.

Joel

30 minutes ago, Aigore said:

Impressive buildspeed....our roles are reversed, I'm hacking away at a kit for months and you finished one in two months :P

Gorgeous build, old man!

Janne,

thanks for the thumbs up. Coming from you it's greatly appreciated, 

I gotta admit, that the reversal roll is some thing that I really liked. Now that's two builds in a row with no major issues. A guy can really get to like this type of build action.

Joel

3 hours ago, Tom G said:

Beautiful work Joel.  It really turned out well.  :thumbsup:  Thanks for sharing your progress pictures.  I enjoy seeing each stage of construction.  

Tom

Tom,

Thanks for your most positive comment.  As for build blog of a basically OOB build, I wasn't to sure how it would be received, but so far the comments have been positive, so I'll do the same on my next build: The GWH 1/48 scale T-33A.

Joel