405th Fighter Squadron Emblem

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone here might be able to help...

I'm trying to find a picture of the squadron emblem/patch of the 405th Fighter Squadron in WWII.  The squadron flew P-47's in the 371st Fighter Group.  Despite finding a number of good pics of their Jugs, the squadron insignia eludes me.  I need it for a squadron history project, as my unit traces its lineage back to the 405th.

Can someone point me in the right direction?  Any and all help is appreciated!

- GH

Yup, I at first thought the same when I came across that pic! The patch on the top left is the 404th Fighter Squadron, the fox with the bomb is the 371st Fighter Group, and I think the “Semper Vigilans” is either the Wing or official group crest. 

I appreciate your help.

Reference is "Combat Squadrons of the Air Force World War II" USAF Historical Division Air University Department of the Air Force, 1969.

"405th Fighter"

"Emblem. None"

Since they were activated in late May, 1943 and inactivated in Nov. 1945 They were not around very long. They may have actually had an "unofficial" emblem, but it either was never approved or perhaps never submitted for approval.

Norm