1/72 True Details B-52 Wheels

26 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Jonah, that then begs the question if the SAC metal struts are also an improvement on the kit parts, or are they necessary to carry the weight?

Vince, worth it?

I'm happy with the wheels. SAC's metal gear. I've never seen anything but the plastic gear recast in metal and they bend easy. I've had no problems with the gear in the Monogram kit.

Funny you should bring this up. For grins I've been working on the old Monogram D model. I had some of the True Detail wheels but I'm going to stick with the kit parts. The resin ones are nice but not light years better. The other thing is the kit outrigger wheels are molded to the struts so separating them would screw up the struts. The old Monogram wheels have enough detail to pass.

1 hour ago, Gator52 said:

If you’re modifying the wing to have the tip gear touching, then I would at least consider the white metal struts for the tip gear, as the AMT ones are flimsy.  I think the mains from the kit are fine. 

Jonah

So that is an expensive proposition just for the outriggers.  Can the kit outriggers be reinforced with a paperclip depicting a hydraulic line?

Almost all of the SAC landing gear sets are just simple copies of the kit parts in white metal.  No detail added, no corrections, just a direct copy of the styrene landing gear in a softer, more easily deformed material.  Not sure why anyone would ever buy them.

Edited by MoFo
17 hours ago, Dutch said:

So that is an expensive proposition just for the outriggers.  Can the kit outriggers be reinforced with a paperclip depicting a hydraulic line?

I haven’t tried that, but it might help if you’re willing to overlook the fact that there are no hydro lines on the outrigger struts, as there is no braking/steering on those wheels. You might try an internal brace by drilling vertically through the strut and wheel, then inserting a brass or steel rod. The exposed portion between the tire and strut could be painted black and would probably be minimally noticeable. 

Either way, best recommendation is to mount the wings in such a way that the tip gear just barely touches, without supporting any of the weight of the wing. That was the mistake I made the first time I modified the wings, I over corrected which put a lot of strain on the tip gear. 

Looking forward to to seeing some photos of your progress!

Jonah

Edited by Gator52