Tamiya extra thin - new formula?

Gents, just purchased a new bottle of Tamiya extra thin, and immediately I noticed that it smelled and acted differently. It is super super quick to soak in and / or evaporate, in fact so quick that you cannot wet a surface then apply a part to it like you use to do with the 'old' version - you have to apply it to the parts when they are in contact. If you do it really bonds fast, but it definitely is different. It would be wrong to say I prefer one over the other, rather to say that they both do good jobs but slightly differently.

The colour of the cap is slightly lighter too, plus there is a bit of a difference to the label. I'm going to get a few bottles of the old version to keep on the shelf for when that version works better. 

Interesting to see the difference, and that I hadn't heard anything on these forums about it

Cheers

Les

A couple of warnings, ask me how I know of these; you cannot use this stuff for gluing very thin plastic (.005") if you are putting any stress on it, say gluing a strip around a tire, it is hot so hot the very thin plastic breaks (melts) so beware!!

#2 - fingerprints, be very aware of where those big sausages attached to the ends of your hands are located when using this glue! It runs like a cheetah!!!! So the finger print you will see is yours set in plastic (your kit), if you notice it quickly enough let tit dry thoroughly then sand the print away!!!

I like it, but you must treat it carefully padewan!!!!

While I was aware of the Quick Setting Extra Thin, I've never used it, and really don't see much of a need for it as their normal Extra Thin works at just the right "speed" for how I model. Took a while for me to get use to that years ago. 

Out of curiosity I checked my go to online resources; Sprue Brothers, and ScaleHobbyist.com, and neither one lists it. Just wondering who carries it.

Joel

On 1/29/2018 at 10:36 AM, lesthegringo said:

so quick that you cannot wet a surface then apply a part to it like you use to do with the 'old' version - you have to apply it to the parts when they are in contact.

I would say you have been using the standard Tamiya super thin glue the wrong way all this time.  You are supposed to hold the parts together, apply the glue, and let the capillary action draw the glue into the seam to melt the plastic together.  Watch this video:  Scale Model Glues

Hmm I have been using the darker green cap bottle of extra thin for a few years now. I love it. Was not aware of this lighter green cap version. And as RichardL mentions I have always put the parts together to use this glue. You cannot coat the parts then put them together. The glue is gone by then. I also have the Tamiya liquid cement in the bottle with the white cap. That's much slower and you can coat then bond the pieces.

Edited by skyhawk174
  • 2 weeks later...

Sprue Bros is now listing the Tamiya Extra Thin Cement Quick Setting as being available. That means that Tamiya has resolved the issues with the cement that caused them to take it off the market shortly after they announced its availability. That was a year or so ago!!

Ciao!!

Henry Blecha