Westland Seaking Aftermarket Question

I've got the 48th scale Hasegawa Har. MK. 3 "Falklands" kit, but I'd like to build it as one of the yellow RAF rescue birds. What after market is available for this kit to get to the version I want to build? In particular the sand filter box in front of the engine air intakes or decals. Is there anything else out there that could be useful? Many thanks for any advice and help.

Chuck

Edited by otis252

Hi Chuck,

Lets deal with the decals first, Whirlybird models sells three 1/48 decal sheets for the Yellow bird Mk3 Sea Kings,  go on his web page and click top right to download his pdf price list.

As for the airframe then you should have the majority of the parts in your kit, the Six Blade tail rotor, the correct cutouts for the Windows etc, you will however depending on the level of detail you want to achieve, need to fill certain areas, add a buldge on the port side transmission deck etc. The biggest sticking point would be the Sand Filter. Only later RAF Sea Kings had them and seeing as the only option is buying an off the self Flightpath 1/48 Sea King MK4 conversion set just for the filter, I'd may be think of modelling a 1980/90's Mk3 without the filter fitted. Take a look and make your own mind up, https://www.djparkins.com/product.php?productid=17826&cat=275&page=1

The third option is to see if a old Airwaves Sand Filter or a Model Alliance one comes on the auction sites, however they tend to go for ludicrous money. 

If you'd like any further help please just pm me, I love the Sea King and spent years of my Naval Career working on both the Mk5 and later on the Mk4.

Good luck with your build.

Edited by Wafu

Thank you so much for the help, some great information. You're right, the Flightpath set wouldn't be the best move for just the sand filter. Plus, I'd be sent into insanity trying to use it. HA! I'm going to try to find the Airwaves or Model Alliance part or go to a older Sea king. Again, many thanks. I'll be calling on you for more help.

Chuck