A bit of fun between doing painting. Wanted to see what the radar looks like even if it will not be used on this airframe. (But Never say Never)  So first a quick dry run of the parts. Between parts C4 and C5 there is joint line, which I would prefer not to be there. Later to hide it I added a 0.13 thin sheet of styrene sheet to hide it.

scrO3E0.jpg

2mhE3Qd.jpg

7wi3VOR.jpg

OK, so how dose it look like on the nose of the kit?

P9FkTj4.jpg

Add the radar dish and it is complete. This time only Blu-Tack was used to see the whole assembly.

8rVoBet.jpg

All the fun with the radar was accompanied with some experimenting to make other sensors for the kit, like the new style AOA / pitot sensors and the little round sensors which are positioned around the cockpit to give a 360 view of the surrounding.

JqGd4yp.jpg

The ideas worked so they will be back when finishing the kit.

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

As you can see I am doing part assemblies, painting sub units at the moment and the fuselage is not glued together in any form. There is just tape here and there just to see where the different parts go. Used Blu-Tack for the forward bulk head / radar base in this rough build which adds to the diameter of the nose. We will see what it is like when glued together properly.

Best regards

Gabor

On a Russian forum a question was raised concerning the radar. At the base of the radar on the forward bulkhead Ш1 (fuselage frame 1) there is a conical shaped protector. It is made up of three segments for ease of maintenance and each one can be removed with 3 screws on each side from the dedicated support frame. At least on the left side there is an opening on the covers.

It covers the base of the radar units and lots of wiring but also the beautifully perforated Frame 1. :crying:

P9FkTj4.jpg

It is concerning this that the question was raised. The perforated Frame 1 was visible on so many occasions at different shows and press events. Yes, it is true that this frame looks like this (have to say it is fantastic and would love to make it for the kit) but the aircraft seen in the past were either prototypes or radar test bed airframes (like a test Su-30).

The G.W.H Su-35S kit is intended to represent production aircraft and from these aircraft from Batch 2 and higher up. On production examples this protector conical shaped unit was installed. Have to add a correction here to the G.W.H instruction sheet. The colour of the conical shaped unit should be light blue. Well this is what they look like on photos and TV programs from the KnAAPO Su-35 assembly line. This is the reason why it was made for the kit. Blame me if you don’t like it. :winkgrin:

Best regards

Gabor

Assembly of parts is at full swing. Painting in parallel with this. So a few drops of paint was added to the ejection seat to show what is going on.

dZFfC2T.jpg

The K-36D-5 seat is still to be finished. As mentioned earlier what you see is the stock seat from the G.W.H Su-35S kit. Only the bulges on the side of the headrest were added and bits and pieces cut from the original plastic. On the side walls of the pan small details were added, but that is all. The rest is some paint. Well about 5-6 shades of black, the green for the upholstery. The straps / harness part (I 40) was slightly thinned down. Shades of grey for the harness and very light greys for the parachute lines.

All mixed acrylics, some Humbrol and a lot of Caran d’Ache aquarelle’s for highlights and shadows.

qAAT2j5.jpg

c2nrG9Z.jpg

il69fCj.jpg

After a gloss overall the decals were applied. Note that slight trimming and adjusting is needed for decal A 39. I cut from its length on both sides. Apart from the decals given in the kit I also added few other markings from the spare box ( Eduard MiG-21 decals). They were not included in the set since they are not so visible.

Please note that the decal sheet has two of each of A37 and A38 decals. There is one spare for each of them. These markings are only on the left side of the seat, so use just one.

The kit decal has the red  НЕ НАГРУЖАТЬ stencil on the arms restrain parts, which are barely visible.

But so are they on the real aircraft.

pGTZBjm.jpg

A gloss coat to seal the decals was followed with a Satin overall layer. This is where we are at the moment. The upholstery will get a matt finish while the seat metal parts a semi gloss. Some rubber parts and the ejection handle are full gloss on the real seat.

This is what we I have now.

sI3AL7Y.jpg

V4P1ukc.jpg

An Eduard ЗШ-7 helmet was painted to go with the seat. :D

HOs5mnt.jpg

aUHy8iQ.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

Thanks!

I think 48th is a very big scale, for me anyway. Use to do only 72nd and most resin/white metal master designs I did were in 72nd. I am doing some work on a 144th ejection seat master. Now that is real fun! :D :D :D

Speaking of this seat, there is still a lot of things to do on it. Mind you this is all plastic. The ejection firing handle could be more fine but this is how far the mould makers dared to go. Have to add that on Modelsvit's recent 72nd seats there are far more detailed and smaller parts! :worship:

I am sure one or two aftermarket company will come up with replacement firing handles, just hope that they get the shape right. (They never do). They should note that almost every K-36 seat version has a different D ring.

Best regards

Gabor

Some painting is underway as well as continuing work on the radar unit.

The different wheel disks are painted separately. Here they already received a layer of gloss and some shading. A bit more highlights to be followed by a covering gloss and a semi matt and matt layer later.

vIAVzme.jpg

Here are some colour notes for anyone intending to do the unit.

The radar main body (C3 C4 C7) parts are light blue-grey. C 5 is also light blue-grey with the centre unit rectangular units are bright dark blue. The sides are yellow.

Here you see the first step of painting with the preliminary layer of light brey-blue.

05b0AhI.jpg

The radar front (C 6), the dish front face is gloss yellow (will be covered with decal). On its sides one finds two rings. The one to the back is the same light blue-grey as the main body. The antenna sensor strips are covered with the same grey-green dielectric fibre plastic as on earlier versions of Su-27’s. The only difference is that from the front it is covered with a golden yellow transparent film. This is what we tried to reproduce with the decal. The dielectric grey-green cover is attached to the antenna body with 12 screws.     

b4nmHtO.jpg

There is a small horn antenna at the top left hand corner (looking from front) on the radar dish. This should serve for positioning the decal.

Now if anyone is not happy with doing all the painting of the radar dish but still wants to show it in open form, simply add a red cover over the whole dish. On the ground when the nose cone is removed the red cover is usually fitted to protect the unit.

The light blue on part C1 is not the final shade.

Best regards

Gabor

With today’s date 1 st of March I would expect that spring is here. Just as in the rest of Europe we have extreme cold, blizzards and lots of snow. During the night there were places with below minus 20-25 degrees Centigrade. With the Siberian cold wave (if there is a heat wave) I needed something to remind me of heat, nice warmth, sunshine and a pleasant summer lunch. What better than an Italian style spaghetti. No fresh tomato’s to work from and the grated cheese is not exactly the right type but had to do with what is available.

wZQlXlb.jpg

Onions and the minced meat heated, mushrooms added, garlic, spices and the tomatoes while the spaghetti went into boiling water. Add lots of cheese. I love it!

Fast, easy and stirs up some nice warm memories while it is extremely cold and unpleasant outside!   

ZuWa6NB.jpg

I am sure few eyebrows will be raised by our Italian friends, seeing what I have made, but I am long way from Italy and this is what I managed to make. :D ;) :D

This is a bit of off-topic but we have extreme circumstance, so  . . .

Best regards

Gabor

1 hour ago, crackerjazz said:

. . . Beautiful colors  . . . 

Exactly!

It was all about colours and warmth to fight against the blues, darkness and cold of the nasty spell we have here in Europe. (not speaking about politics of course!)

Ken,

A home made Chilli Con Carne??? WWWOOOOWWWW!!! Now that is something I would never attempt to do here at home. It is too complicated for my skills. Envy you there! 

Best regards

Gabor

2 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

that is something I would never attempt to do here at home. It is too complicated for my skills.

It's basically the same procedure as your pasta - sauté your aromatics, brown meat, add tomatoes and simmer.  Nothing complicated.

10 hours ago, MoFo said:

It's basically the same procedure as your pasta - sauté your aromatics, brown meat, add tomatoes and simmer.  Nothing complicated.

Ahhh, but the secret is in the spices :thumbsup:

23 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

With today’s date 1 st of March I would expect that spring is here. Just as in the rest of Europe we have extreme cold, blizzards and lots of snow. During the night there were places with below minus 20-25 degrees Centigrade. With the Siberian cold wave (if there is a heat wave) I needed something to remind me of heat, nice warmth, sunshine and a pleasant summer lunch. What better than an Italian style spaghetti. No fresh tomato’s to work from and the grated cheese is not exactly the right type but had to do with what is available.

wZQlXlb.jpg

Onions and the minced meat heated, mushrooms added, garlic, spices and the tomatoes while the spaghetti went into boiling water. Add lots of cheese. I love it!

Fast, easy and stirs up some nice warm memories while it is extremely cold and unpleasant outside!   

ZuWa6NB.jpg

I am sure few eyebrows will be raised by our Italian friends, seeing what I have made, but I am long way from Italy and this is what I managed to make. :D ;) :D

This is a bit of off-topic but we have extreme circumstance, so  . . .

Best regards

Gabor

Don't want to rub it in, but here in Malta it is +20C today and sunny :)

Here are few additional colour notes to go with cockpit painting. The two side panels which were show the wrong way around on the original instruction sheet are the typical Sukhoy cockpit blue grey colour. There are 4 small shock absorbers here which are metallic aluminium / bronze colour.

The central panel for the control stick is light grey with a black control stick base in the centre.

Behind it on part C75 there are two metallic (chrome) cylinders.

The floor of the cockpit is green just as the “leg-room” for the pilot.

jOR4bSQ.jpg

Best regards

Gabor