Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
ya-gabor

GWH Su-35S building

Recommended Posts

I think enough has been shown of the new 48th scale GWH Su-35S  kit in the past months. Some “friends” would say why show it at all?  :D  Some considered it to be a hype of the kit. :shrug:  Showing CAD’s and images of the plastic sprues and parts is far from a hype, but it is for everyone to decide. Just as decision based on the following pages of how the kit looks like on the workbench.

 

Haneto did a fantastic out of the box build few weeks. Now it is time to add few drops of paint and do the second test build this time here in Europe.

 

KQFj4WN.jpg

 

OK where do we start. Let’s cut some parts and do some cleaning of the gates. Beginning with the smaller parts. Have to say that the airframe in 48 th is fairly impressive in size. More on this later.

Of course I wanted to see few of the details which I like and get the parts which go with it. Also there are sub assemblies which are easy to do, clean and prepare for painting.

 

A pile of different parts, more or less cleaned and ready to go into the paint shop.

 

sP6REnm.jpg

 

 

Here is the cockpit, detailing of the area under the windscreen, the HUD unit with cooling ribs, electronic attachments, the gun camera, windscreen heating . . .

 

 

 OvYU56K.jpg

 

Of course there are parts which go into the cockpit. There is one part here which I don’t like. The reason for its simplicity is very simple at the time of design we simply did not have more details of the back wall. It was clear that there is a mesh covered “window” and a pressure unit on the other side. But not much more. The choice was between designing some fiction on the back wall all add only what we know for sure. We left the fiction to other manufacturers.

In comparison to this fortunately a lot of detail was available on the forward part of the cockpit, the side walls all the way to the forward bulkhead, the leg “rails” for the pilots feet and the control column base. Soon all this will get some paint and it will be more realistic.

 

zT3Ehig.jpg

 

 

The K-36D-5 ejection seat. The harness system is provided as a separate part.

 

 

Jb7xgRy.jpg

 

 

 

The front undercarriage bay. That tinny little part in the middle is none other than the pressure refuelling point. Had a close look at it and have to say no idea how the tool makers managed to get the details on it. Like it. Of course some more parts will make up the bay.

 

 

CEIOZNR.jpg

 

 

 

More soon.

Best regards

Gabor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good question.
Gabor, could you be so kind and measure this?
I also have those AMUR resin exhausts for KH Su-35 and I wish to use it for GWH kit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will do that when I come around to building the fuselage. It is a bit in the future.

 

Best regards

Gabor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gabor, this is just about thoss parts' edges (marked red hue on your picture and regarding AMUR exhaust, this is about marked edge).

If both are the same, then AMUR exhaust should fit to GWH kit.

 

GuiNzwi.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be watching this build closely. The kit looks like a great one and I look forward to mine arriving from Hobbyeasy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello

This kit looks promising.

Cant wait to get mine.

 

Have fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dear deity, I'm friggin drowning in a pool of drool!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Aigore,

I look forward very much to a build by you in the future! Your speed, creativity and technic is amazing! 

It will be a real hard work for me to try to imitate anything as good as your work! It takes me ages, but this time I try my best to speed up my snail tempo.

 

Best regards

Gabor  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These pictures look much clearer and sharper than the ones that came out recently. Gabor, more close up like these would be much appreciated. 

 

Can you please consider removing the watermark? Or move it to a corner at least? Not like people will be making money selling your pics here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The separate harness part on the ejection seat is a modeling godsend.  I’m not sure how I missed that before!  It will certainly be easier to paint!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, kurnass77 said:

Wow,

end of the AM-era?:thumbsup:

 

 

Gianni

 

Hi Gianni,

 

No, it is not the end of the AfterMarket era. There are people who have a compulsory need for resin and etched parts and there are of course manufacturers who feel that they HAVE to make a set no matter what.

My personal opinion is that there is a need for some AM with this kit also. It would be very stupid and arrogant to think that there is no need for them with this kit. No manufacturer should ever state this!

 

We did try to provide the best possible detail. The details that Haneto and me wanted to see, the details that I would expect to see from a kit by any manufacturer and know that it is possible to make. What you get in the Su-35S kits box from GWH can be built into a near perfect kit.

 

Some manufacturers produce plastic kits which from the start have a “designed place” for AM product, the plastic is just 70-90% of what one could achieve in plastic. It looks OK for a certain level, there is no question about it. But anyone wanting a close to 100% has to buy AM for it either of their own manufacture or of related companies.

 

Different companies, different philosophies of kit manufacture!  Absolutely no problem with that.

 

During development I was asking for some etched details. One has to know where the limitation of a given technology are! Injection moulding has its limitation. As a solution a lot of the parts on the “Bits and Pieces” sprue ( Sprue I) were provided like pipes, wires, antennas, control column . . .  to add that extra bit of detailing that one would get only with resin. The other solution was with the brakedown of parts.

I would have preferred to have for example the HUD as etched brass as well as some very small details. Some etched parts did make it into the kit in the end. Not everything.

 

The seat harness system.

Here you have an option of attaching it or using a pilot figure and adding straps from etch . . .  Sure companies will produce etched sets. Sure there will be resin seats also.

 

Personally I am not a great advocate of etched straps, they will never look realistic. Realistic only in terms of thickness. The plastic harness in the GWH kit of course has its thickness, it is injection moulded! But it also has fine surface details, curvatures, turns . . . To achieve this with brass, one needs to annealing it by heating. Then you can do wonders with brass! It will behave like aluminium foil. But then again if it is a pre painted brass all the lovely painted details will go up in smoke no matter how good they look like!  

The choice is up to everyone, and everyone have their own tastes so .  .  .

 

I for one will be using static dischargers from the Polish manufacturer Master. They are fantastic and I save all the problems with accidentally braking off the plastic dischargers.

Also already did some other parts to put around the would be kit.

 

Best regards

Gabor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Janissary said:

Can you please consider removing the watermark? 

 

Hi Janissary,

 

The watermarks have been used ever since some of my photos were used without prior authorization in both printed or electronic form on the internet. In print they were used in different publications, big international publication, books, magazines with no mention of the author and of course no payment was ever made for them. Irrespective of the country where they were used, it is the same for US publishers (who are supposed to be so keen on copyright laws) just as for UK or Russia.

 

Sorry they are part of the photos. They are visible but faint enough as to not ruin the view of the subject.  

 

Best regards

Gabor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018-02-01 at 7:52 PM, ya-gabor said:

Hi Aigore,

I look forward very much to a build by you in the future! Your speed, creativity and technic is amazing! 

It will be a real hard work for me to try to imitate anything as good as your work! It takes me ages, but this time I try my best to speed up my snail tempo.

 

Best regards

Gabor  

It is definitely on my wish list...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a small reminder of the size. The kit is big and it comes in a big box (45x33x10cm).  I would say the main reason for this is that the top and lower fuselage halves are one piece incorporating the wings. The nose cone and the parachute container cover are separate parts.

 

y7AYhkZ.jpg 

 

This is also a reminder of the size but this time of the cockpit and how small it is.

 

 GkCBPwm.jpg

 

I will show some dry fit of the engine cover later. The two engine covers are an all one piece moulded parts. They are big single units with lots of surface detail. The only way to achieve this is through slide mould tooling. It is inevitable that where tools meet some kind of mould line will be seen. Remember the lines on top of the canopies for F-14, F-16 . . . The G.W.H Su-35S kit is no exception from this. The engine cover is moulded from three sides (the outer surface) so there should be two lines along the “edges”. I wanted to see what this means in real life, so cut off the right cover and had a closer look. Yes, there is slight line visible. Took a fine sand paper and a drop of water. It did not take long to remove the line which is positioned away from other surface details or panel lines to make the work easier. In the centre of the engine cover on the outer side there is a panel where the main gear lock drop shaped cover will go. I did not bother with the line here since it will be covered by parts C97 and C98 anyway. A bit of light polish with a paper handkerchief restored the surface texture.  

Here is the finished right cover.

 

mHpxmC1.jpg 

 

OK, right cover out of the way, had a look at the left one. The surprise here was that on the inner side of the cover the mould line is virtually not visible. On the outer side it is there but once again slight wet and dry sanding solved the “problem”.

 

ddwwMG1.jpg

 

 

A slight line was visible (if at all) on the outer side before sanding.

 

RyD82GB.jpg

 

 

OK next up is a dry run of fitting the covers to the fuselage.

 

Best regards

Gabor   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

 

Hi Gianni,

 

No, it is not the end of the AfterMarket era. There are people who have a compulsory need for resin and etched parts and there are of course manufacturers who feel that they HAVE to make a set no matter what.

My personal opinion is that there is a need for some AM with this kit also. It would be very stupid and arrogant to think that there is no need for them with this kit. No manufacturer should ever state this!

 

We did try to provide the best possible detail. The details that Haneto and me wanted to see, the details that I would expect to see from a kit by any manufacturer and know that it is possible to make. What you get in the Su-35S kits box from GWH can be built into a near perfect kit.

 

Some manufacturers produce plastic kits which from the start have a “designed place” for AM product, the plastic is just 70-90% of what one could achieve in plastic. It looks OK for a certain level, there is no question about it. But anyone wanting a close to 100% has to buy AM for it either of their own manufacture or of related companies.

 

Different companies, different philosophies of kit manufacture!  Absolutely no problem with that.

 

During development I was asking for some etched details. One has to know where the limitation of a given technology are! Injection moulding has its limitation. As a solution a lot of the parts on the “Bits and Pieces” sprue ( Sprue I) were provided like pipes, wires, antennas, control column . . .  to add that extra bit of detailing that one would get only with resin. The other solution was with the brakedown of parts.

I would have preferred to have for example the HUD as etched brass as well as some very small details. Some etched parts did make it into the kit in the end. Not everything.

 

The seat harness system.

Here you have an option of attaching it or using a pilot figure and adding straps from etch . . .  Sure companies will produce etched sets. Sure there will be resin seats also.

 

Personally I am not a great advocate of etched straps, they will never look realistic. Realistic only in terms of thickness. The plastic harness in the GWH kit of course has its thickness, it is injection moulded! But it also has fine surface details, curvatures, turns . . . To achieve this with brass, one needs to annealing it by heating. Then you can do wonders with brass! It will behave like aluminium foil. But then again if it is a pre painted brass all the lovely painted details will go up in smoke no matter how good they look like!  

The choice is up to everyone, and everyone have their own tastes so .  .  .

 

I for one will be using static dischargers from the Polish manufacturer Master. They are fantastic and I save all the problems with accidentally braking off the plastic dischargers.

Also already did some other parts to put around the would be kit.

 

Best regards

Gabor

 

 

You're right mate,and mine was only a joke!

I'm one of these cumpolsory guys...In the last 10 days I bought the Modelsvit Su-7 and -20 and the RV MiG-23,and now started collect AM ( Master pitots and static dischargers,PE,resin air scoops and pits,etc...)

 

But you produced a model that is a almost perfect base for a super detailed build!

My only,very personal regrets,is that I can't build 1/48 models...

 

Gianni

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kurnass77 said:

 

 

You're right mate,and mine was only a joke!

I'm one of these cumpolsory guys...In the last 10 days I bought the Modelsvit Su-7 and -20 and the RV MiG-23,and now started collect AM ( Master pitots and static dischargers,PE,resin air scoops and pits,etc...)

 

But you produced a model that is a almost perfect base for a super detailed build!

My only,very personal regrets,is that I can't build 1/48 models...

 

Gianni

Rome is too small? ;P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any comment on the panelline across the spine that meets the slats? Just light or is it deeper than the rest of them?

 

Cockpit and engine gondola details look excellent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...