I'll be relinking the images in this thread ... and this thread is from a Group Build from 2008 ... today is Feb 1 2018 ... wow, 10 years ...  :whistle:

In the process of copying the posts from the GB, I realized that all the comments and suggestions from the other members won't get posted, so I'll figure something out, maybe just post the build pix ... otherwise, it's gonna be strange reading a reply from a non-existent comment.

I'm starting quite late, and thanx for the opportunity to come on board!

I'll be building the Gemini 9 in 1/24. I'm just accumulating some references, but I plan to rebuild the ejection seats and the aft end where Gene Cernan was supposed to hang out.

It'll give me a chance to use those lovely 'velcro' decals from Mr Sternbach.

Pete

Edited by K2Pete

Here's three pix so far.

Watching Spacecraft Films, Gemini 9, I realized that the corrugations on the hatches in front of the windows were in a different direction. So, time to fill in the existing grooves and sand 'em down. there are also no grooves in a portion of the panels by the hatches. Those'll be filled and sanded too.

And the EVA Astronaut, Gene Cernan, will be rebuilt. I've got a vintage 1960's Gemini from ebay that I'm cannibalizing ( note the different coloured grey astros ). The arms and legs are styrene tube, and they'll be beefed up with Milliput. This'll be my 1st time using the stuff ... I hope it sands well. Or do I need to sculpt it before it sets up?

And the ejection seats will be rebuilt too. So far, just parts, but it's already coming along.

2v2JHSaZCxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JHSaQLxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JHSabgxAnAAS.jpg

The aft end will feature the AMU tucked inside and a few other scratch built items.

Pete

Thanx for the Epoxy info. I guess I'll be doing some testing with it first.

And I've got the Real Space set, and it has the new coves in front of the hatches, not the hatches themselves. But I shall be incorporating most of the other elements. Besides, "We don't need no stinking hatches".  :banana:

And scratch building is 3/4 of the fun anyways!

Pete

I've been working on the ejection seats. I'm only gonna do one up because the Commander's seat won't be viewed, what with the closed hatch and all. Even still, the pilot's seat won't be all that visible either.

2v2JHSE4dxAnAAS.jpg

I've also cut out the old window coves and replaced 'em with Real Space's ones. You can see some shimming I've done to tighten up the fit a bit. I used an X-acto type of saw blade which does an excellent job.

2v2JHSE85xAnAAS.jpg

2v2JHSENFxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JHSEjyxAnAAS.jpg

I'm also correcting the instrument panel a little. There are just a couple of gauges that need removing and I'll put the switch guards, made from copper wire, in three or four places. And I've put in the two handholds, using brass rod.

2v2JHSEAnxAnAAS.jpg

So, the only things left to do is ... everything!

Pete

Here's an update.

My local hobby store didn't have any Milliput in stock, so I used Tamiya Epoxy putty. Not having used it before, it worked fine for me! So I sculpted a new Astronaut on EVA. With new feet, and new hands. I used the kit torso.

Compared to the kit's Astronaut

2v2JHSEynxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JHSEsWxAnAAS.jpg

I viewed a lot of photos and watched the Spacecraft Films alot for references. I used the epoxy to form the new visor too. I formed a couple extras on the kit helmets, but, luckily, didn't need 'em ... yet ...

2v2JHSEdGxAnAAS.jpg

I scratch built the chest pack, ELSS, out of styrene. For the umbilical connection, I'm gonna used brass rod and you can see the connection on the astro ... bent brass rod and a sleeve of aluminum tube into which the formed brass rod will attach. ( I built a prior ELSS, but after viewing some Gemini 10 footage, I realized the ELSS's sides were canted in at an angle, so I rebuilt one, and made a couple other corrections to it, that I was initially gonna ignore.    ;-)

2v2JHSE1CxAnAAS.jpg

The interior is proving to be a bear! The ejection seats don't fit quite right, so I'm doing a lot of trimming. The switch panels on the sides have been scratched with styrene, and the switch guards are thin copper wire. And the Ejection seat rails are built with styrene and aluminum sheet.

Kit seats have been cut out ... and the Real Space Model resin Thruster parts

2v2JHSE6FxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JHSEiqxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JHSEwWxAnAAS.jpg

Edited by K2Pete

Hey-y-y- Bill ... nice to see you posting again!

And a "Blast from the past" is exactly right! I can't believe 10 years has passed since building this. And this was one of my first builds ... :doh:

The nose has been corrected, a little. Nothing too drastic. I've also bored out the thruster holes and will represent the thrusters with 3/32 brass tubing.

2v2JHSHdqxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JHSEBqxAnAAS.jpg

And the adapter section has RealSpace's updates plus a couple of scratched vents.

2v2JHSEYCxAnAAS.jpg

I am having an absolute blast doing this model. I'm not certain if I'm gonna sand off some of the access door detail on the adapter exteriors ... but I may do a little detailing. I'll see. I've still got to build new hatch interiors and the aft end needs the AMU and a bunch more supports and the gold mylar. Another couple months to go .... !

Thanx for looking guys.

Edited by K2Pete

I'm just going to place the images in build order with a brief description ... the Forum isn't letting me post some images, I wish I knew why, and it's an un-needed, additional frustration ...

Here's the aft end of the adapter with the structure installed. Gold strips are being attached too

2v2JHSHqGxAnAAS.jpg

I've also built the AMU which has a brass locating pin coming out the back and fits into the base on the bottom of the adapter.

You should also be able to see the Tether guide near the thruster on the right side of the adapter. This was to prevent Cernan's umbilical from coming into contact with the Adapter's sharp edge.

2v2JHSE7LxAnAAS.jpg

and done ...

2v2JHSHPSxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JHSHkVxAnAAS.jpg

At this point, I've been blocking in the major components. I've got the hatch interiors still to do, then ... then ... all the tedious, time consuming, detailing stuff. I've made some good time so far, but, this is gonna take some time.

Thanx for looking 

Pete

Edited by K2Pete

A completed Ejection Seat

2v2JHSH4LxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JHSHsTxAnAAS.jpg

Instrument Panel with home made decals and some additional bits and bobs ...

2v2JHSHmgxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JHSHTWxAnAAS.jpg

And a little work on the Capsule itself ...

I patched the hole for the kit supplied stand ...

2v2JHSHoGxAnAAS.jpg

The seams are pretty big, so I filled 'em with styrene bits and will file and sand ...

2v2JHSHLhxAnAAS.jpg

Some paint... and some foam rubber stuffed into the spaces as masking ... and 2 completed hatches

2v2JHSHnWxAnAAS.jpg

While sanding seams, I sanded off some details. I popped out some washers and applied 'em to the surface ... I stamped out washers from Aluminum sheet as well as styrene

2v2JHSa2FxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JHSa3hxAnAAS.jpg

RCS section and Nose in place

2v2JHSHyVxAnAAS.jpg

Paint detailing on the Nose Radar

2v2JHSHFnxAnAAS.jpg

Improved hatches ... kit and mine for comparison

2v2JHSHCVxAnAAS.jpg

I used painted Aluminum Foil, cutting strips and applied with Foil Adhesive to the hatches.

2v2JHSHGgxAnAAS.jpg

I had to remove the resin Real Space Model items and used CA Debonder to do it ... worked like a charm!

2v2JHSHSGxAnAAS.jpg

The Adapter section with paint and showing the brass tube to mount the model. I love all those added details!

2v2JHSHgCxAnAAS.jpg

Adapter section done ... with handhold added

2v2JHSH7WxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JHSHYgxAnAAS.jpg

The Gold strips didn't stick with various adhesives and then I tried Rubber Cement and it held the Grocery Bag material, that I used for the Gold Curtain most excellently!

2v2JHSHNCxAnAAS.jpg

The completed Astronaut depicting Gene Cernan. The brass tube will be replaced with the "Umbilical' tether

2v2JHSHRGxAnAAS.jpg

... with the ELSS chest Pack

2v2JHSHihxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JHSHDCxAnAAS.jpg

Edited by K2Pete

and a few more with a little better lighting ...

2v2JHSauWxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JHSaJGxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JHSaHqxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JHSaaFxAnAAS.jpg

Thanx for taking a peek at this old build ... I remember using a lot more WIP pix but I can't find 'em ... but, all these images will give us all a good enough idea as to what can be done to accurize this old kit!

And, it was certainly a 'Blast from the Past' to re-visit this build.

Pete

Edited by K2Pete
spelling error fixed

That's the Horizon Sensor / Scanner ... and at launch it's inside a shroud.

Here's the box art and you can see the shroud ... which is jettisoned just after launch.

https://www.oldmodelkits.com/index.php?detail=21818

Just do a Google or YouTube search for Gemini launches and you'll see the little bump, the shroud, in some views.