Airfix Sea Fury

For you 1/48 fans the new Airfix Sea Fury is apparently out in England now according to Hannants new arrivals. This kit has just British markings but they are planning an "Export" release for November of this year with early Aussie, Canadian and Dutch  markings so wait for the one you want, depending on what you have for decals already.....

Edited by RCAFFAN

Yeah saw that announced in a couple of places already so I am excited. Our local hobby store gets in a fair stock of Airfix so I think I am going to wait for when it actually comes over the pond. I am not too hopeful on the price though. I see Hannants has it at 22 pounds plus shipping and I have checked other places in the US and it looks like around $75 including shipping.

I still have my Hobbycraft kits plus a bunch of Cutting Edge and Cooper Details resin. Maybe I can use it in the Airfix kit just to use it up? Or I can build my HC kit along side of the Airfix one and do a comparison although the new Airfix one would probably be no contest. Hmmm decisions decisions.

Edited by skyhawk174

Hannants export price is 20.41 Pounds or about $35.00 Canadian before shipping. The Western Canadian distributor gets new releases about 2 months after they come out in the UK (probably just as fast as the US since I understand the containers are unloaded in Seattle for both west coasts) so it is not a long wait and should come in at around $40.00 Canadian so one would be crazy to pay the U.S. price at any time. Even if you really need it now, including shipping from Hannants would be under $60.00 Canadian. I'm not buying anything from the States if I can help it but fortunately this isn't my scale....

P.S. As a comparison the recent 1/72 Fortress III kit is listed as $44.91 Canadian at Hannants before shipping and I got it locally (waiting 2 months) for just under $40.00 Canadian including GST

Edited by RCAFFAN
2 hours ago, RCAFFAN said:

Hannants export price is 20.41 Pounds or about $35.00 Canadian before shipping. The Western Canadian distributor gets new releases about 2 months after they come out in the UK (probably just as fast as the US since I understand the containers are unloaded in Seattle for both west coasts) so it is not a long wait and should come in at around $40.00 Canadian so one would be crazy to pay the U.S. price at any time. Even if you really need it now, including shipping from Hannants would be under $60.00 Canadian. I'm not buying anything from the States if I can help it but fortunately this isn't my scale....

P.S. As a comparison the recent 1/72 Fortress III kit is listed as $44.91 Canadian at Hannants before shipping and I got it locally (waiting 2 months) for just under $40.00 Canadian including GST

Yeah that price sounds good and I am in no hurry. Gary mentioned it should be around $45 locally I think. No point me rushing out to get it and have it on the shelf not getting built.

Any reason why they just didn't include decals to make a RAN/RCN/MLD version?  

Also, it would have been nice if they included a 4 bladed prop to make an F 10.  Yeah, I know only 50 came off the production line, but it would be nice to have the option to build one of those few.

6 hours ago, afspret said:

Any reason why they just didn't include decals to make a RAN/RCN/MLD version?  

Also, it would have been nice if they included a 4 bladed prop to make an F 10.  Yeah, I know only 50 came off the production line, but it would be nice to have the option to build one of those few.

4 hours ago, Dmanton300 said:

Sales. A second boxing will attract sales from people who already have the extant one. Simple as that.

As Drewe pointed out 

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2018/hawker-sea-fury-export-edition-1-48.html

I think those of us who have had the HC Sea Fury probably have a few after market sheets anyway? I know I have Mike Grant's sheet as well as a couple of others. Still debating if I really need more than one of the new Airfix kits but once I see it I guess I can make up my mind.

On 2018-02-01 at 5:36 PM, skyhawk174 said:

Yeah saw that announced in a couple of places already so I am excited. Our local hobby store gets in a fair stock of Airfix so I think I am going to wait for when it actually comes over the pond. I am not too hopeful on the price though. I see Hannants has it at 22 pounds plus shipping and I have checked other places in the US and it looks like around $75 including shipping.

I still have my Hobbycraft kits plus a bunch of Cutting Edge and Cooper Details resin. Maybe I can use it in the Airfix kit just to use it up? Or I can build my HC kit along side of the Airfix one and do a comparison although the new Airfix one would probably be no contest. Hmmm decisions decisions.

I really doubt it will be over $40.00 locally. I’m betting it will be in the $30.00 range.

The new 1/48 Meteor is $49.99 US without shipping at Airfix. Hobby Wholesale has it in stock for $41.99 Cdn. 

The Sea Fury is $32.99 US at Airfix. 

On 2018-02-03 at 7:28 PM, skyhawk174 said:

I think those of us who have had the HC Sea Fury probably have a few after market sheets anyway? I know I have Mike Grant's sheet as well as a couple of others. Still debating if I really need more than one of the new Airfix kits but once I see it I guess I can make up my mind.

I have plenty of RCN decals too, plus Fundekals has a RCN sheet planned too, totally dedicated to RCN Sea Furies. It is an impressive looking sheet.

http://www.hyperscale.com/2017/reviews/decals/fundekalsrcnseafuriespreview_1.htm

Edited by Scooby
On 2/11/2018 at 7:12 AM, Fubuki4 said:

Just watch out your fin isn't short shot. This seems to be an issue for the kit.

Wow, no joke!  I just watched 3 video reviews on YouTube and they all had the same “chunk” missing on the leading edge of the vertical stabilizer...what a bummer!  Additionally, there is a major difference in the crispness and depth of the panel lines on each fuselage half.  Ugh.  I’m currently building a new tool Airfix Spitfire Mk I and it is beset with similar problems (uneven details, panel lines that don’t match up between fuselage halves, etc. ) - why Airfix, just why?   I really want to build his kit, but have been spoiled by building Eduard Spitfires and 109s recently.   

Rant over...

9 hours ago, Falconxlvi said:

why Airfix, just why?

Money.  Contracting with cheaper tooling shops that do sloppier work, and spending less time (and thus, money) troubleshooting both their tooling and moulding issues. 

9 hours ago, MoFo said:

Money.  Contracting with cheaper tooling shops that do sloppier work, and spending less time (and thus, money) troubleshooting both their tooling and moulding issues. 

Not so much money as experience, they brought their molding and tooling on-shore recently and have has some significant teething issues since doing so.

2 hours ago, Falconxlvi said:

I’m hopeful the tooling is corrected before the “foreign users” (or whatever edition it’s called) is released in November.  I may hold off on this one for now.  

I would be extremely surprised if the foreign release is not simply a rebox with new artwork and a new decal sheet. Retooling would be lots of money. However who knows right?

10 hours ago, Falconxlvi said:

I’m hopeful the tooling is corrected before the “foreign users” (or whatever edition it’s called) is released in November.  I may hold off on this one for now.  

That is injection technique and QA. Which now that they know the problem area they should be working on it.

Huge fail on QA.

Kinda glad I didn't order on yet, maybe later when they release the "foreign users" version, which will hopefully fix the issue with the tail.  I can live with the panel lines issue by maybe running a panel line scriber over them a couple times.  

I also saw a video review of their new B-25C/D on YouTube and the reviewer mentioned an issue with the viewing clarity on a couple of pages of the instructions.  He also was curious as to why the waist area has glass panels inserts which incorporates the two small windows in them &  this leads me to wonder if there's a future release planned of a late model D that had the bulged waist gunners positions similar to the H/J models.  One thing I did notice with the fuselage is, just like with the Sea Fury, the panel lines on one side of the fuselage halves appear to look deeper than on the other.