I just got this email from photobucket with a huge drop in price. Must really be hurting on the bottom line. Anyway, I've been with Image Shack for more then 2 years, and love it, so there is no chance I'll be going back to PB any time soon,. I left not for price, but for the crappy service and issues that plagued them when they stopped updating as necessary. Here's the email I got tonight.

Hello Joel,

We would like to offer a tailored plan for users just like you - our Premium plan for $99.99 / year.

The Premium plan will provide 3rd party hosting for non-commercial use on your forums, blogs, and personal websites. Additionally, you will be able to store up to 300,000 photos.

We are working on some exciting changes for 2018. This is our exclusive introductory price and this offer will expire in 7 days.

Joel

Jeez, when I RAN from PB and tried Imgur, I could not BELIEVE how much faster it was. It was like comparing email to snail mail. Why did I not leave long before???

If they want to charge for what they've got, that's certainly their privilege. 

But I'm much happier elsewhere. :) 

I'm using SmugMug, which does have a yearly charge, but I'm willing to pay it because I get basically a web page to display all my pictures, and I can configure them they way I want to. Plus it's fast, and tech support has been quick and helpful. I never want to have anything more to do with PB's slow performance and endless pop-up ads.

I'm shying away from Imgur... partly because I can't see how their business model is any better than PB's was three years ago, and I fear that you'll see the precise same thing happen in a few years time (perhaps more deftly handled). In general I WANT to pay money, but I'm having a hard choice. Given most of my photos are on PB, I'd pay them, except this reeks of desperation and I don't feel they will be around in a year's time. I'm considering setting up my own FTP as Dmanton has done or a smaller outfit.