Drill bits for that extra detail

Need some drill bits...here's some great incredibly small sizes.  $22.88 free shipping with Prime.

WARNING

Very fragile and breaks easily, but this is the normal trait of these bits of this size. Slow and careful makes them last for a long time.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074KDDX7L/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Can you please give us some feedback on these, once you've tried them out ? I'm curious to see how sharp they are and do they "wander" once you start drilling with them, thanks.

Steve

Edited by A-10 LOADER

The key to drill wandering is to properly start the hole. A punch does a great job for small drills. For larger drills, start with a punch and then use pilot drills. Each pilot hole should be at least the size of the web.

I have a set of similar bits and can attest to how fragile the smaller bits are.  They are really meant to be used in a drill press.  Any side load sna;s the bit at the shoulder.

I haven't ever needed a punch to start a hole in styrene, it's plenty soft and the bit bites without wandering.

9 hours ago, A-10 LOADER said:

Can you please give us some feedback on these, once you've tried them out ? 

They're standard carbide drills.  They'll be the same as any other carbide drills.  As mentioned, they're very fragile - they have zero flex, so any lateral loading or tension will snap the bits, but that's just the nature of carbide (I had some .1mm bits that snapped when I brushed them with my finger).  They are also very sharp and hold an edge better than high speed steel (again, the nature of carbide).  They typically have a steeper cutting edge and flutes than an HSS bit, so they bite into material better and tend to pull themselves into the material.    The downside to that is that the flutes can pack with swarf, which causes tension that can either jam or snap the bit, so care and practice are needed.  This is particularly an issue in white metal (in my experience); less so with styrene.

The sharpness and lack of flex will minimize wandering, but if you're using poor technique, they can still skate around the surface before they start to bite.  Mark your drill point with a sharp pin and you'll be fine (but then, you'll be fine with HSS bits, too)

Basically, they're very sharp, very accurate, and very delicate bits.

That Amazon price is fairly steep though.  You can find 10 packs of a single size for under $2 with free shipping on eBay.  The multi packs are a little more expensive, but still cheaper than Amazon.  Just search "carbide drill" and the size you want. 

29 minutes ago, MoFo said:

That Amazon price is fairly steep though.  You can find 10 packs of a single size for under $2 with free shipping on eBay.  The multi packs are a little more expensive, but still cheaper than Amazon.  Just search "carbide drill" and the size you want. 

Oh snap...I started to look on eBay for this pricing.

Couldn't find it.

The only price I found was a 10 pack of each size I listed for 10.95 USD. So my math shows over $50 USD for 50 vs $22.88 for 50. So this is about half the price of eBay. Personally I avoid them like the plague(Was hacked twice, eBay was very helpful I must admit).

Plus the shipping was free for both vendors (eBay & Amazon). However, I find the eBay listings for the product to be very slim pickings and erratic for availability. I also make an order through Amazon for multiple items, doesn't help on shipping, but peace of mind for security and accuracy.

But your find is a good price definitely, get on em when they show up.

My two cents.

10 hours ago, A-10 LOADER said:

Can you please give us some feedback on these, once you've tried them out ? I'm curious to see how sharp they are and do they "wander" once you start drilling with them, thanks.

Steve

I have been using them for some time now. The smaller the more fragile they are in my clumsy hands. Like MoFo said, they lack the side load. MoFo has the best idea with the pin mark/pilot hole, prior to use. And I also agree they do wander a bit and I will take MoFo's tip to create a pilot depression/hole. I do use a pin vise or just my fingers once I make the commitment to the making the hole or depression, just depends on the situation. Very light pressure going in, like MoFo said, they are sharp and require little help. Just be careful removing the bit once the hole is made, removal of the bit can be tricky. This is where I tend to snap them the most. 

Thanks MoFo for the tips, trying that tip as we speak! Works very well!

17 hours ago, AlienFrogModeller said:

The only price I found was a 10 pack of each size I listed for 10.95 USD. 

$2.18  https://www.ebay.com/itm/10Pcs-0-1-1mm-PCB-Print-Circuit-Board-Carbide-Mini-Micro-Drill-Bits-CNC-Newest/142675120661  So $21.80 will get you ten of each size in the Amazon listing, plus ten each of 0.6 - 1.0mm.

This auction has .2, .3, .4 and .5mm 10-packs for less than $2: https://www.ebay.com/itm/10Pcs-1-8-Shank-Spiral-Flute-Tungsten-Carbide-Micro-PCB-Drill-Bit-0-2-0-9mm-Tip/262902302178

Here's 10-packs of the .1mm bits for $2.45: https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Pcs-0-1-1-2mm-Carbide-PCB-Drill-Bits-CNC-Drilling-Bit-Set-Woodworking-Tool/401304556938  Between these two listings, you can get the same items as the Amazon listing for $10(.01) 

Although I'd suggest skipping the .1mm bits for anything other than novelty.  A sheet of paper is about .1mm thick.  At that size, the bits themselves are virtually unusable outside of a very accurate drill press or mill.  Even .2mm is pushing it.  .3mm is about equal to a #80 drill bit.

• 1 month later...

Try Drillbitsunlimited.com.  They have every size you could ever want.  I use them a lot on WW! aircraft for drilling holes for rigging turnbuckles.   They are very sharp (don't ask how I know) and like all carbide bits, very brittle.