Is that the LVM Gemini interior Ret? I've got one but haven't even looked at it in a couple years ... Any pix of you assembling it?  

....... And uh, HeritageCon on March 25th ...

It also looks like you're gonna need a bigger shelf!  :^ D

Pete

Hi Pete - no, just scratch building as best as I can....

Yea, gonna try and make it to Heritagecon - hope to see you there.  Hope to have this one ready in time - but got a ways to go.  

Am trying to workout some details for the doors while watching the Leafs and Bruins.

;-)

I'm just getting used to this posting thing.  I think this image is a little better than the earlier ones. See what you think.

My wife liked the little men - I thought - didn't she know that's Gordon Cooper and Pete Conrad (maybe Frank Borman and Jim Lovell)?

gemini cockpit 3.JPG

Sorry, sorry - I wasn't very clear - the basic stuff is from the kit - I've added piping, side control panels, hand hold bars, side mirror, fabric patches to simulate velcro, black door shades, side pouches and cabin vent valves.  The hand controller and instrument panel is from the kit.  

Didn't mean for confusion - here's another view - as well as my mockups for the doors.

Ret

gemini cockpit 4.JPG

So far ... so good Ret!

And the occupants look pretty good too!

... for the visors, I used White Glue, like LePage's. It dries clear in case it seeps, and the bond is strong enough ... just in case you didn't know!  :rolleyes:

And the hatches look a helluva lot better! Nice job!

Pete

Hi Pete - thanks for the encouragement and the tip for the visors!

I set the windows by dipping in Clear and then letting them dry - was going to try the same with the visors - but like your idea of the white glue.  It's been a much slower -  but so far satisfying build.

By all means ... dip the visors in Future too! It'll make 'em nice and shiny and if it needs to be removed, Windex removes Future. I like to dip all my clear parts in Future as a protectant too. If, for instance, I get a fingerprint on the clear part that won't come off, just remove the entire surface of Future and start again.

Plus, being an Acyrylic product, White Glue will still adhere to it ... and to be clear, the White Glue is INSTEAD of the Styrene glue you use ... and you just need a tiny bit.

I hope I'm clear!  :pray:

Pete

Hi Pete - Thanks for being Clear (pun intended) - I like the white glue with clear idea - never thought of it!

One thing I find is that as I'm no longer 25 (add 34) my depth perception is off as well as my ability to handle very small items.  Having said that - the work is slow but completely enjoyable - the thing is slowly looking like a Gemini I think.

No worries CJ - the kit is fairly basic - I think from 1964 and based off of plans for Gemini 1.

Gemini build 5.JPG

4 hours ago, Ret said:

Hi Pete - Thanks for being Clear (pun intended) - I like the white glue with clear idea - never thought of it!

One thing I find is that as I'm no longer 25 (add 34) my depth perception is off as well as my ability to handle very small items.  Having said that - the work is slow but completely enjoyable - the thing is slowly looking like a Gemini I think.

No worries CJ - the kit is fairly basic - I think from 1964 and based off of plans for Gemini 1.

Gemini build 5.JPG

Yes...thats about right. A very early Gemini version. You can tell by the wrong widow cut outs in the capsule body. But it's nice and big...I still have my toy from way back when I was young! ;-)

Just FYI ... When it comes time to apply the decals, for the big "United States" decals, don't be afraid to use a LOT of decal setting solution ... and a Q-tip ... or 5.

It'll take a little time, a little effort and a little patience to get those decals to settle into those corrugations. They might even tear ... don't sweat it ... Use the Q-tips to push the decal into the grooves but only after they've been softened by the setting solution.

It may a few applications of the setting stuff.

And my eyes ain't what they used to be either, like, when I was 25 ... lo those many, many years ago-o-o-o!  :rolleyes:

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

Aw-w-w ... those are nuthin'!    :rolleyes:    Did you know that these strips were just thermal tape, applied by hand?  So Ret, they don't have to be perfect-ly straight.

Do your decals include the little Red decals that go onto the nose? Those will provide a little more enjoyment for you!  :^ D

And your strips look a little too far apart ... just sayin' ... !  :wave:

Pete

Hi Pete - yea I noticed the spacing of the stripes around the time I was just about done! .....sigh.  I also realized they shouldn't match up either.

Oh well maybe the next one  ;-)

I've started the red tile decals and so far they seem to be going on ok - they are very thin though and have a tendency to curl over on occasion

3-3-2018.JPG

It looks like you're 98% done ... I hope I can make it to HeritageCon to see it! ... assuming of course, you're thinking of showing it!  :rolleyes:

Judging by the Radar assembly on the nose, did you use Real Space aftermarket items on it?

Pete

Hi Pete - I'd like to get to Heritagecon with it - real life permitting....(fingers crossed).

I did pick up the RealSpace aftermarket kit - it certainly improves the overall feel of the kit. I'm pretty well done with it and at the stage where every time I look at it I want to change something - so I've set it on the shelf for now and hopefully will like what I've done in a few weeks!

Take care and thanks again for the comments,

Ret