Mercury-Atlas-Saturn V Comparison

I'll assume these are your builds Aussie-Pete ... Are they the Horizon offerings ... and the Saturn V ... is ... ?

Having lived through the Space Race, and looking back now, it amazes me to see the quick evolution of these launch vehicles ... Mercury Redstone to Saturn V in those short years.

The size comparison, even in 1/72, is cool to see.

Thanx!

Pete ... Canadian Pete    :whistle:

Every time I look art the Dragon Saturn V all the inaccuracies just make me want to cry.  I'll never understand why their Apollo has such relatively accurate detail yet the Saturn booster is so toy-like.  It's as if they were designed by two completely different companies....

I do like the Horizon kits, looking forward to a Gemini Titan from them.

...same here...it's really a shame to see what oppotunities Dragon missed. The time and money spend on doing it right is not more then doing it wrong. It's a masive failure on motivation and/or mental power that led to such 3rd class results.

My hope is that Airfix will follow their re-newal policies and will come up with a new tool S5 and S1B and maybe a new LM for the 50th anniversarry. Fingers crossed...;-)

cheers

Uwe

Those look great Pete.  I've stashed away quite a few Horizon kits.  They're top notch, and one could only hope they'll produce the Titan.  I'd be in for a few of those for sure.

I've mulled over Dragon's Saturns for some time now.  It's a shame they didn't do just a bit more ... but I am happy they did produce them.  They are pretty impressively big, even with the toy-like appearance.  As a matter of fact I've picked up a few the Skylab kits at local hobby contest/swap for a very reasonable price.  It's been a tremendous amount of fun just throwing them together adding minimal details here and there.

3 hours ago, anj4de said:

A new tool (and this time correct) CSM and LM are more then due, especially for next year. 48 or better 32 would be great and please let it be a major player...like Tamiya!

cheers

Uwe

There are many new players making very good models.
Hasegawa, Eduard, Tamiya, Horizon-Models to name a few. But they have to be a matching pair. Oh and a lunar rover :)

18 hours ago, Aussie-Pete said:

Horizon have a Juno coming out on top of a Redstone. I'll probably get but they need to do Gemini next.

I’d like to see them do an Atlas Agena to compliment the Gemini Titan.  :thumbsup: