International shipping changes

On 2018-02-13 at 7:55 PM, cf18hornet said:

I have been charged a fee several times for models bought outside of Canada. And this goes back at least ten years when I bought the Airfix Nimrod when it was first released in 2008. Customs can charge taxes on anything they feel like.  It's very frusturating when you buy a model overseas because it's much cheaper and then they blindside you with the customs tax and usually then ends up costing more. I guess it's a gamble one must take because more often than not it ends up in my favour of not paying any taxes. Especially when the guy I bought my 1/72 Anigrand C-5 put on the customs receipt that it was a model kit worth $30. I've always wondered how much in taxes I would have paid on that kit had he put on the actual cost of $400

I’ve been charged once since Jan 1/1994 and I successfully fought that one time. On that date there was an amendment that excluded Hobby supplies from any fees or tax.

It was roughly six months ago I was charged for the first time since 1994.  I challenged Customs and was issued a refund.

1 hour ago, Scooby said:

I just mailed some decals to the UK, will the person getting them get nailed for additional charges? I shipped them regular mail in a photo mailer. No declaration on the outside. Canada Post just calculated the shipping rate and asked for noth8ng more.

Hi Scooby,

It just depends on how big the package is, what's written on it and what mood the inspector is in... 

It's really annoying - I don't think anyone minds paying the tax and duty if due - but being hit for a $10 "admin fee" on a $15 decal sheet is really annoying!!

Such is life I guess...

Chris

2 hours ago, UKPonchoMan said:

Hi Scooby,

It just depends on how big the package is, what's written on it and what mood the inspector is in... 

It's really annoying - I don't think anyone minds paying the tax and duty if due - but being hit for a $10 "admin fee" on a $15 decal sheet is really annoying!!

Such is life I guess...

Chris

I don't ever agree to paying any taxes, especially when I see what politicians do with it, get us more in dept. I thought it was supposed to pay down our debt. :)

Whenever I hear a voter saying a new tax is a good idea I shake my head.

I have family in Scotland, they were guinea pigs for the poll tax. I feel bad for the UK, taxes are so high for you.

6 hours ago, Scooby said:

I’ve been charged once since Jan 1/1994 and I successfully fought that one time. On that date there was an amendment that excluded Hobby supplies from any fees or tax.

It was roughly six months ago I was charged for the first time since 1994.  I challenged Customs and was issued a refund.

Just curious but how do you go about challenging customs? Just in case this happens again to me and want my money back that customs doesn't deserve to get

Thanks

1 hour ago, cf18hornet said:

Just curious but how do you go about challenging customs? Just in case this happens again to me and want my money back that customs doesn't deserve to get

Thanks

I called them and they gave me instruction on who to get in touch with. I quoted their own documents.

Of course all this could change with Donald Trump eliminates the NAFTA agreement. Interesting I was reading on it and trade increased 40% to Canada from the US.

2 hours ago, Tomcat Trebor said:

Hi just today my order arrived ok today in the UK.

Robert

Glad to hear! I was so concerned about this.

Can you please describe what the re-labeled envelope looked like? I am only asking because the new system does not print your actual address on the envelope; only a US address and short identifier referring to your address info (which is transmitted to the postage provider electronically). I am curious to see how they are re-labeling the envelopes when they are forwarded from the US to the actual address.

It would be great if you can share a photo after obscuring your address.

Edited by KursadA

Thanks!   The actual label I printed is underneath this one; and it is just a domestic USPS label that has an address in Illinois on it. Once it is there, they print a new label and redirect the envelopes to their international destinations.

It is tedious and probably adds 1-2 days to the whole trip, but it's a way to limit the cost increase.