AH-1Z Cobra in 1/72? How to?

The Olimp conversion would only get you the turn exhaust. That conversion doesn't get you a late AH-1W bird either as it doesn't address the canopy issue for NTS which all late Cobras where and I think a few other bits. You would need a new nose, dog house , canopy, 4 new blades and new cockpit. Plus numberous small body changes to capture all the new differences. 

I wouldn't try it but to each thier own. If I where, I would get the Kittyhawk AH-1Z and Italeri AH-1W kits in 1/48. You can use them for measuring, checking contours and get greater sense on what is different. 

HTH

Aw, shucks. I wonder why Italeri or someone has not come up with one in 1/72?  The closest I have seen are the die-cast ones from E-bay (Forces of Valor or something? Can't recall) but I'm not sure how accurate they are.

Edited by JackMan
On 2/7/2018 at 6:32 PM, Tank said:

..That conversion doesn't get you a late AH-1W bird either as it doesn't address the canopy issue for NTS which all late Cobras where and I think a few other bits. You would need a new nose, dog house , canopy, 4 new blades and new cockpit.

Please excuse my ignorance but didn't the AH-1W and the AH-1Z use the same canopy? 

8 hours ago, JackMan said:

Please excuse my ignorance but didn't the AH-1W and the AH-1Z use the same canopy? 

Not 100% sure but if they do, it's from the NTS birds which is different then kit which is pre-NTS. 

1 hour ago, JackMan said:

Awesome photos, Zack. Good comparison shots. I see several differences.  The canopies still look the same to me but the photos really show the differences in things like the doghouse, nose, etc. :thumbsup:

http://www.zone-five.net/showpost.php?p=203363&postcount=77

The slope and point where it angles is different.

The Olimp conversion in 1/72 does provide a new top to the nose (and NTS "turret") and info on where to cut the canopy to provide for this change in canopy (along with the turned exhaust) but as others have said, you're still quite a ways from a Z.

Edited by RCAFFAN
1 hour ago, Jolouis said:

I used Forces of Valor 85074 AH-1Z VIPER and then modified and added details

Were you the one who posted on Britmodeler some time ago? I seem to recall someone modified the Italeri AH-1W kit with the diecast AH-1Z.

I did something similar and posted on here (at least I think I did).  Took the FOV Viper and replaced the Sidewinders and Hellfires with stuff out of the spares box, and the pitot tube and air data probe with bent wire and more parts from the spares box.

Thanks for this info. I never heard of/thought of the Forces of Valor did-cast models. But after spending some time on line this morning trying to find one, they're pretty much gone. It was issued at least a couple of times, but years gone by now. Anybody here have a source or a spare? I might want to complete my collection of Cobras with this thing.

54 minutes ago, Paul Boyer said:

Thanks for this info. I never heard of/thought of the Forces of Valor did-cast models. But after spending some time on line this morning trying to find one, they're pretty much gone. It was issued at least a couple of times, but years gone by now. Anybody here have a source or a spare? I might want to complete my collection of Cobras with this thing.

Not sure if this one is the same as the FOV kit but looks the same when compared to pics I've seen online:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC0.A0.H0.X1%2F72+AH-1Z.TRS0&_nkw=1%2F72+AH-1Z&_sacat=0

My guess is that all these diecasts where manufactured at the same place but re-boxed under different companies (eg FOV).

Thanks, Jack. I think you are right. Interesting that most of those in your eBay link use the exact same marketing photos. Most of them from U.S. suppliers had free shipping, so I ordered one. Now the fun starts. First to go will be that waaaaay oversize air-data thingie on the nose and the golf-ball rivets.