Harrier and Sea Harrier

I am about to start building a couple of 1/24 Harriers, the GR3 and the Fa2.

I am mostly and airliner modeler but I just about had enough of "white".

Would you all be so kind to recommend a couple of good detail books on the subject?

I was surprised that squadron signal does not have the Harrier in the Walk Around series.

Thanks in advance.

Walter

Squadron does have an “In Action” book on the Harrier, #209

Reid Air Publishing has  a Harrier book in the pipeline, but I think it covers only AV-8B & GR.7 & GR.9

Edited by habu2

The only Harrier references I have are from the '80s. There's an old Detail and Scale, but it only covers USMC variants. Bill Gunston's Great Book of Modern Airplanes has a pretty good section for the first generation Harriers. Warpaint and SAM Publications are two other more recent publishers that cover the Harrier. I don't have their books on the Harrier, but several on other types.  If I got around to an early Harrier, I'd start there for references.  Sprue Brothers carry them. http://store.spruebrothers.com/category_s/1995.htm?searching=Y&sort=7&cat=1995&show=60&page=1&search= Harrier 

Edit to add: I'd completely forgotten about AIRtime's Wings of Fame, World Air Power Journal and International Air Power Review. I think they had issues that covered Harriers.

Edited by Crash Test Dummy

Great thanks fellows,

I had totally forgotten to look at Sprue Brothers. I will order some of the books from them.

I also found some great builds here and in Large Scale Planes that I plan to use for color reference. 

I just received the Flightpath detail sets for the Airfix models and they are awesome.

Also, just a quick note, the canopy on my GR3 was cracked down the middle. I contacted Airfix (Hornby Hobbies) and got a replacement shipped to my home in Houston in two weeks.

Outstanding customer service!

Once again thanks for the help.

20 hours ago, Crash Test Dummy said:

Edit to add: I'd completely forgotten about AIRtime's Wings of Fame, World Air Power Journal and International Air Power Review. I think they had issues that covered Harriers.

They did.  For currently available books, I would recommend the SAM Publications volumes for both.

Regards,

Murph

Specialty Press has a series of books called Warbird Tech, their volume (#21) on the Harrier by noted author Dennis Jenkins covers everything from the history of VTOL airplanes to the P.1127, XV-6 Kestrel, and all versions of RAF, RNAF and USMC Harriers. 

https://www.amazon.com/Boeing-BAE-Harrier-Warbird-Tech/dp/1580070140/

22 hours ago, Crash Test Dummy said:

World Air Power Journal vol 6 covered the entire Harrier program, vol 32 focused on the USMC AV-8B, vol 41 focused on the RAF Sea Harrier.

6 hours ago, waltmert said:

Thanks very much Mstor, 

that was exactly how the whole Harrier saga started for me.

I ordered one of these; https://www.kitsforcash.com/1-24-sea-harrier-fa2-complete-kit-limited-run-of-85-i6590.htm 

Very nice conversion for sure.

Very cool waltmert! I didn't see that. Great find. I ran across the Simian stuff when looking for Buccaneer stuff. I wish the Harrier stuff had been available when I built my GR.3 years and years ago. It looks like the Fa2 kit will fun to build.

I did order some of the Sam books as well as the "In Action" book but those walkarounds blew my mind, Thanks Nigel!

I remember like it was yesterday when the Harrier Squadron flew out of Belize towards the Falklands/Malvinas.

The Harriers were "the real McCoy". Now seen the jump jets falling apart in a field makes me realize how fast time goes by.

I better get started on my models before I end up falling apart in an empty field!  :)

Sprue Brothers has this one on sale right now, 20% off listed price

http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/ardft002.htm

ardft002.jpg

This walk around details the status of the Harrier II in RAF/RN service shortly prior to his phase out in 2010. In the book the reader will find a 5000 word introductionary text, describing the development and the most recent technical changes to the 'Jump Jet' including Operation Herrick. This is followed by 60 pages of action photographs divided by squadrons including units of the Joint Force Harrier, 1(F) Squadron, 4(AC) Squadron, 4(R) Squadron, 20(R) Squadron, 41(R) Squadron, 800 Naval Air Squadron and the Naval Strike Wing (NSW). Over 180 pages are dedicated to the modeler and contain the following:
- avionics
- cockpits
- landing gear
- engines
- most recent armament
- fuselage details
- camouflage schemes
- 1/48 scale drawings
An absolute must have for the fans of this unique British aircraft!

Thanks very much fellows,

I order about four of the books you all recommended. Now I got to wait for them to get here to look them over and see if they are going to

useful as color references especially interior, engine colors, etc. I can wait to start these two monster kits though and this time I am going to

have fun modeling and not paying too much attention to minor details. I have to increase my model production to more than two per year.