Stateside A-10's and AN/ALQ-184 pods

Doing research and getting everything together for a 1/48 A-10. I'm going to be using the Idaho National Guard option on Jake's War Weary Warthogs, and although I don't think they carried either the AIM-9M's or ECM pods during their last deployment, I am wanting to show it fully loaded. I think I read that the -184 was used mostly by Stateside Hawgs, whereas the over-seas units use the -131. My question is, is it more common for the A-10 to use the short or the long pod? Or does it matter? I've got a long pod from the Tamiya F-16, but Brassin has a great-looking short pod. 

Thank's for your help

Aaron 

Edited by strikeeagle801

I'm not 100% sure but I think there are three version of the -184 short,medium and long. We (MD ANG) always flew with a medium pod. I saw F-16's with a shorter pod and the A-10's in Korea flew with the long pod which was quite long. I think the pods are modular in there construction and depending on the threat, the units will fly the appropriate pod. 

I also remember us flying with both the -131 on one deployment and the -184 on another.  

12 hours ago, strikeeagle801 said:

I'm going to be using the Idaho National Guard option on Jake's War Weary Warthogs

Great choice!!  I designed ladder door artwork for 5 of the deployed jets.  All lasted through the deployment but were ordered removed following return to Boise.  

You're right--no AIM-9s or ECM pods during their anti-ISIS deployment, but they were definitely fully loaded!!  In fact, this deployment, along with the DM guys that followed, is the first time I've seen an A-10 to be really heavily loaded in a LONG time.  LITENING, rockets, AGM-65, GBU-12s, GBU-54s, GBU-38s, and even the GBU-31.  Only the centerline station was empty.  Lots and lots and lots of 30mm!!

I've only seen the 184 pod on the Boise jets stateside.

14 hours ago, jmel said:

Great choice!!  I designed ladder door artwork for 5 of the deployed jets.  All lasted through the deployment but were ordered removed following return to Boise.  

You're right--no AIM-9s or ECM pods during their anti-ISIS deployment, but they were definitely fully loaded!!  In fact, this deployment, along with the DM guys that followed, is the first time I've seen an A-10 to be really heavily loaded in a LONG time.  LITENING, rockets, AGM-65, GBU-12s, GBU-54s, GBU-38s, and even the GBU-31.  Only the centerline station was empty.  Lots and lots and lots of 30mm!!

I've only seen the 184 pod on the Boise jets stateside.

Long or Short Jake? And have they carried two GBU-31's at the same time, or only one? 

Aaron 

I was ECM backshop for 184’s on F-16’s and I’m now flightline avionics. When I got into the backshop we were finishing up converting all of our short pods to long pod configuration and last I remember, the rest of the Air Force was doing the same.  I don’t think there are any short pods flying anymore because they’ve all been converted. 

On 2/9/2018 at 11:51 PM, strikeeagle801 said:

Long or Short Jake? And have they carried two GBU-31's at the same time, or only one? 

Aaron 

Long 184

From Incirlik in 2016:

Station 1:  GBU-12

Station 2: rockets, either 2.75 or APKWS later while in theater

Station 3: AGM-65

Station 4: GBU-38

Station 5: GBU-38

Station 6: empty

Station 7: GBU-31

Station 8: GBU-12

Station 9 : GBU-54

Station 10: LITENING pod

Station 11: empty

Thank's for the help Jake and all. I appreciate it. By the time that I get this project rolling, Eduard my very well have a long 184 out. I'm not sure what all I'm going to load on it...Kind of want to do a full load with ECM and AIM-9's. We'll see when I get there. 

Aaron 

On 2/11/2018 at 11:11 AM, strikeeagle801 said:

Thank's for the help Jake and all. I appreciate it. By the time that I get this project rolling, Eduard my very well have a long 184 out. I'm not sure what all I'm going to load on it...Kind of want to do a full load with ECM and AIM-9's. We'll see when I get there. 

Aaron 

I wish Eduard would do an updated Long 184. I want to throw on up on a model for one of my jets with a LH HTS and a RH Sniper Pod. Can’t seem to find any of that that’s worth a darn. 

20 hours ago, Ljmorrow92 said:

I wish Eduard would do an updated Long 184. I want to throw on up on a model for one of my jets with a LH HTS and a RH Sniper Pod. Can’t seem to find any of that that’s worth a darn. 

Isn't there a -184 pod in the Tamiya kit?