some more F-35A help Please

Thanks to all the responses guys! now my next question....paint...I've searched the forums and found a vast array of opinions concerning the two major colors, airframe and RAM...some say very little if any contrast, some reference the Have Glass 5. The kit instructions state Meng MC-350 and MC-351...are there comparison colors in Model Master? would Gunship grey and Dark Ghost grey come close to matching? thanks

On 2/9/2018 at 7:28 AM, KEB said:

concerning the two major colors, airframe and RAM...some say very little if any contrast, some reference the Have Glass 5. The kit instructions state Meng MC-350 and MC-351...are there comparison colors in Model Master? would Gunship grey and Dark Ghost grey come close to matching?

It depends on the aircraft you are looking at.  Some have little difference in the two colors, some have a lot.  Gunship Gray and Dark Ghost Gray are not close to matching.

1 minute ago, RichardL said:

It depends on the aircraft you are looking at.  Some have little difference in the two colors, some have a lot.  Gunship Gray and Dark Ghost Gray are not close to matching.

And the newest scheme is all one color. Gets confusing. I say, pick an airframe you have some photo doc on and go for it. I'm planning on using the MRP Have Glass paints for the primary color and some other as yet undecided but lighter color for the RAM. I think the schemes with the RAM panels showing are cool.

6 hours ago, Mstor said:

And the newest scheme is all one color. Gets confusing. I say, pick an airframe you have some photo doc on and go for it. I'm planning on using the MRP Have Glass paints for the primary color and some other as yet undecided but lighter color for the RAM. I think the schemes with the RAM panels showing are cool.

... the same colour overall (excepting things like the refueling door outlines) is how they'll all be eventually. I have read a Lockheed Martin press release which says that older airframes would be brought to the new standard over time.

Shane

8 hours ago, sweier said:

... the same colour overall (excepting things like the refueling door outlines) is how they'll all be eventually. I have read a Lockheed Martin press release which says that older airframes would be brought to the new standard over time.

Shane

I wish I would have read this before I ordered the Furbal decals last night. I’d have waited for decals of the new schemes (as no doubt the markings will change slightly).

I plan on an Australian F-35A since our government canned the F-35A purchase and likely won’t re-order.

29 minutes ago, Scooby said:

I wish I would have read this before I ordered the Furbal decals last night. I’d have waited for decals of the new schemes (as no doubt the markings will change slightly).

I plan on an Australian F-35A since our government canned the F-35A purchase and likely won’t re-order.

A pair of early / late side by side builds would always be interesting. Imagine years from now when everyone tires of that dull, boring monochromatic paint scheme and longs for decals to reproduce the early, more challenging and visually interesting RAM striped version....  :thumbsup:

42 minutes ago, habu2 said:

A pair of early / late side by side builds would always be interesting. Imagine years from now when everyone tires of that dull, boring monochromatic paint scheme and longs for decals to reproduce the early, more challenging and visually interesting RAM striped version....  :thumbsup:

Totally agree, but I am lazy too, I don’t want to mask or decal all those ram panels. And I know there are products out there to make this easier.

Although I know the contrast looks sharp.

I'm also not convinced the new scheme is a solid color. Different materials result in different shades.

2 hours ago, habu2 said:

dull, boring monochromatic paint scheme and longs for decals to reproduce the early, more challenging and visually interesting RAM striped version....  :thumbsup:

It won't be monochromatic even if the two colors used are exactly the same.  The RAM material has a different sheen and won't be metallic looking.

8 hours ago, Scooby said:

Photos of A35-003 in final test show some of the light coloured RAM areas persist, but the bulk of the airframe is monotone.  This is almost certainly because various sub assemblies will have been completed before the change of process - for example, fins which are made in Australia - and on final assembly the aircraft is  sort of half way to the new standard. A35-003 is the first of eight deliveries to the RAAF in the USA this year, two will fly out to Australia late this year for local acceptance and testing in 2019 with the remainder of the squadron's planes to be delivered in time for IOC in 2020.. A35-003 is marked with the 3SQN RAAF tail flash 0 as they are to be the first conversion I anticipate that the rest of the 2018 deliveries will match

Shane

14 hours ago, Scooby said:

Totally agree, but I am lazy too, I don’t want to mask or decal all those ram panels. And I know there are products out there to make this easier.

Although I know the contrast looks sharp.

I'm also not convinced the new scheme is a solid color. Different materials result in different shades.

5a80ed3da0fab_first3sqnsmall.jpg.bcafeb8be88f1eda3d2919c5a6b4e911.jpg

As you say. Different textures. Not very obvious though.  In fact, invisible in this shot

Shane

Edited by sweier
emphasis

I'm not sure about it, but from some photos of the new scheme, it appears that the paint is still some sort of Have Glass color. Look at the photo below. There is an amazing amount of tonal variation ranging from green to purple.

Caveat: I am not sure that the photo below is actually the new scheme or some other variation in colors that have been tried on the F-35.

F-35_Lightning_II_Joint_Strike_Fighter2

3 hours ago, Solo said:

Above picture it is computer graphics from some kind of game or some simulator, I believe.

DANG!  It looks so real. Getting harder and harder to tell fake from real anymore. Oh well. About what I said, never mind :doh:

Well, here are two REAL photos of the single color scheme (just larger photos of the one Shane posted). Hard to see the RAM panel tape on these too but, if you look close, its there.

F-35AnewPaintSideFront

F-35AnewPaintSide

34 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Well, here are two REAL photos of the single color scheme (just larger photos of the one Shane posted). Hard to see the RAM panel tape on these too but, if you look close, its there.

F-35AnewPaintSideFront

F-35AnewPaintSide

Beautiful jets!! Surely the RAM panels are there, but the height of the edges should really be almost non-prominent compared to its adjacent areas.

Great photos thanks! so i plan on doing one with the contrasting RAM panels and one similar to the two photos...which show a little contrast between some of the surfaces (nose, tails, wings) so I would assume the main color in the photo would be close to FS-36170

1 hour ago, KEB said:

Great photos thanks! so i plan on doing one with the contrasting RAM panels and one similar to the two photos...which show a little contrast between some of the surfaces (nose, tails, wings) so I would assume the main color in the photo would be close to FS-36170

What I am not so sure about is whether or not the "all one color" scheme still uses some sort of Have Glass paint. On the photos I posted, the main color does seem to have that Have Glass sheen as opposed to the color around the cockpit. Oh well, as I stated, I will be doing mine with the contrasting RAM panels with the main color using the MRP paints.