Hello friends

I have never build A Sea king before,,, and I like that helicopter a lot

I have what is probably a dumb question and a waste of post... but need to know since I want to get one

what is the best Sea King kit out there in the wild in 1/72 and 1/48 ?

Thanks everyone

have a nice weekend

Edited by CharlieUH-1H

1/48 Haseagawa is your only option.

1/72 Airfix is in the lead, then Revell and CyberHobby. A lot depends on the US or Westland version you want. 

I am sure others know more.

11 minutes ago, Tank said:

1/48 Haseagawa is your only option.

1/72 Airfix is in the lead, then Revell and CyberHobby. A lot depends on the US or Westland version you want. 

I am sure others know more.

Thanks man

I was looking at the airfix in 72 and it looks really good

The Revell kit is also worth a look. Needs a little work to convert it into a Sikorsky SH-3 but the basics are there. Whirlybirds also do resin kits and resin conversions for the SH-3. They do a VH-3 kit as well as the "Jolly Green Giant" version.

LD.

It kinda depends on what you want to build. In 1/48 the Hasegawa (the only game in town) the kit was originally released as a US machine with the long wheel sponsons with various dispensers in the rear that is strictly for US machines. It also has a long horizontal tail surface with a brace. Many other machines don't have those sponsons or the long tail surface, having instead a short unbraced stabilizer. Hasegawa have released other versions such as RAF that include the regular sponsons, short stabilizer and in the RAF case a six bladed tail rotor (most are 5 bladed) so it kinda depends what you want as to what boxing you get. If you only can find the regular Hase. kit, you can get a set from Belcher Bits with regular sponsons and radome and you can cut down the horizontal stabilizer, leaving off the brace. The base kit is a Sikorsky built machine and Westland built machines also have a APU bulge on the side of the doghouse/pylon fairing which may need to be added if you are doing a Westland machine, depending on whats in the kit you get (I don't build 1/48 so not familiar with the various boxings).

In 1/72 the new mold Airfix is probably best but it and the Revell are based on Westland built machines with the APU bulge that may need to be removed. I believe both kits have 5 and 6 blade tail rotors to cover all versions but they only have regular short sponsons, the Revell being a little undersized. The CyberHobby have different boxings so you need to get the version you need as to sponsons. The APU bulge is a separate part in the CH kits so you add or leave off as needed.  I think they have both tail rotors but it may depend on the boxing. There is also a series of Fujimi kits that are older with raised panel lines but they are still fairly accurate and recent boxings would have both tail rotors, both types of sponsons, both horizontal tail surfaces and various window configurations so the kit is quite flexible but it is based on Sikorsky production so no APU bulge but is fine if you aren't building a Westland machine. If you decide what you want to build people could provide more info....

Edited by RCAFFAN