Israeli F-16 shot down over Syria

4 hours ago, Raptor01 said:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-israel-iran/israeli-jet-shot-down-after-bombing-iranian-site-in-syria-idUSKBN1FU07L

2 seater, both pilots ejected over Northern Israel, maybe a Sufa?

John

Most likely a Soufa. The back seater in the Soufa is a weapons systems officer.

Trainers wouldn’t be used in combat (F-16B or F-16D), no need to risk two pilots and that extra seat reduces fuel space and fuel load.

Appears to be confirmed that the plane was hit by a SAM (prior reports focused on AAA).  Will probably have an impact on Israels ability to strike targets in Syria seemingly at will.   Given that conventional jets are at risk, wonder if we might be seeing the combat debut of the F-35 shortly?

12 hours ago, Scooby said:

Trainers wouldn’t be used in combat (F-16B or F-16D), no need to risk two pilots and that extra seat reduces fuel space and fuel load.

Israel’s D-models aren’t trainers. That dorsal spine isn’t there for nothing....  ;)

No matter, all credible reports state the downed jet was an F-16I.

1 hour ago, DarkKnight said:

I am kind surprised as the EW and ECM in the i is supposed  to be top notch, have the Syrians upped their game or was it a lucky shot?  It will sell more F-35s

I’d suspect one of Syria’s friends probably gave them newer technology to use.

1 hour ago, pacheco said:

Old "news" and has nothing to do with current issue.   All that being said, I am curious about what took down the jet.   We'll probably never know.   Syria only has older systems (although presumably upgraded quite a bit over the years) but for all we know, it could have been a Russian system, a MANPADS from one of the dozens of factions involved in the fighting or just a "golden beebee" lucky shot from a AAA piece.   Or maybe Russia has covertly equipped Syria with some newer hardware?

If it was a SAM, I'm guessing the IDF is in a bit of a state of shock.  They took great pride (as does the US) in using technology to pretty much ensure loss-free missions.   At least the crew didn't end up ejecting over Syria.  That would have added much additional ugliness to things. 

Edited by 11bee
2 hours ago, DarkKnight said:

have the Syrians upped their game or was it a lucky shot?  It will sell more F-35s

Russia has been pouring all of its latest military hardware into Syria for years.

34 minutes ago, pacheco said:

They would meet their terrorist friends. Nothing to worry about. 

One man’s terrorist is another man’s freedom fighter. 

With regard to NATO / F-117 / delay in admitting the loss - do you think it might have had something to do with trying to rescue the pilot who was on the ground, behind enemy lines?   

The jet reportedly crashed in Israel.  I assume if it was hit by a SAM that happened across the border in Syria.  That suggests the crew was able to fly the jet for some distance before having to eject.

And... injecting politics into this thread is a sure way to get it locked.

Remember when Showtime 100 was on fire and rolling while Duke was trying to get "feet wet" to avoid a stay at the Hanoi Hilton

I remember when the F-117 was shot down, there was video on ABC,  they had fake news back then too, they were saying it was an F-15E

not trying to be political, but what kind of Air Defense does  4 billion in cash buy the Iranians? I also read that the drone had an unusually small electromagnetic signature

50 minutes ago, DarkKnight said:

Remember when Showtime 100 was on fire and rolling while Duke was trying to get "feet wet" to avoid a stay at the Hanoi Hilton

I remember when the F-117 was shot down, there was video on ABC,  they had fake news back then too, they were saying it was an F-15E

not trying to be political, but what kind of Air Defense does  4 billion in cash buy the Iranians? I also read that the drone had an unusually small electromagnetic signature

Not sure where you are going with this but with regard to the drone, dome reports indicate that it’s a reverse engineered copy of the RQ-170 Sentinel that they obtained a few years back.  Obviously the signature wasn’t that small since the IDF was able to track it and shoot it down.  

8 hours ago, DarkKnight said:

I am kind surprised as the EW and ECM in the i is supposed  to be top notch, have the Syrians upped their game or was it a lucky shot?  It will sell more F-35s

Sounds like the Syrians shot off everything they had. Four batteries shooting all their missiles is going to be pretty hard to beat for anybody.

4 hours ago, habu2 said:

The jet reportedly crashed in Israel.

Here's a report in Israeli press,

The two F-16 pilots ejected as the plane went down in northern Israel. The pilots were taken to the hospital in stable condition. One of the pilots is in serious condition.

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/red-alert-sirens-sound-heavy-aerial-activity-in-northern-israel-1.5806508

Early Saturday an Iranian drone was intercepted in Israeli airspace. IDF Spokesman Brig. Gen. Ronen Manelis said Israel "identified an Iranian drone drone which took off from Syrian territory. The drone was identified by IAF systems and was downed by an IAF helicopter. The Iranian drone fell in our territory and is in our possession."

Israeli sources (http://www.israelhayom.co.il/article/535185) say that crew was concentrated on hitting it's target and didn't perform evading maneuvers on time. IAF is still investigated whether pilots operated ECM as instructed.

Here is google translation link: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=iw&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.israelhayom.co.il%2Farticle%2F535185&edit-text=

Edited by Helmsman

What I found interesting was after the jet went down, it looks like an Israeli policeman was guarding the wreckage, followed by soldiers. All of whom were climbing all over the wreckage.

Later investigators were combing the area in HAZMAT outfits. There are a lot of hazardous composites in modern aircraft, you don’t want to inhale any of that crap. Especially when it is still smoldering.

But the average joe doesn’t know this, in the CAF we were taught how to approach wreckage and what to stay away from.

37 minutes ago, Scooby said:

What I found interesting was after the jet went down, it looks like an Israeli policeman was guarding the wreckage, followed by soldiers. All of whom were climbing all over the wreckage.

Later investigators were combing the area in HAZMAT outfits. There are a lot of hazardous composites in modern aircraft, you don’t want to inhale any of that crap. Especially when it is still smoldering.

But the average joe doesn’t know this, in the CAF we were taught how to approach wreckage and what to stay away from.

In the F-16 there's also the hydrazine issue, not to mention the remaining live ammunition which could "cook off".  

Regards,

Murph

2 minutes ago, Murph said:

In the F-16 there's also the hydrazine issue, not to mention the remaining live ammunition which could "cook off".  

Regards,

Murph

Yup, I’ve done the hydrazine training.

The early video of the cop the jet was still burning. He looked like he was smoking and standing on top of the wreckage.