Israeli F-16 shot down over Syria

So in an article published in Israel, the pilot was quoted as saying they took a hit near the target and almost immediately had to eject (sounds like the pilot was injured during the missile hit).  Yet the aircraft and crew came down in Israel.   From what I read elsewhere, the target was a good distance into Syrian territory.   Something doesn’t add up....

9 minutes ago, 11bee said:

So in an article published in Israel, the pilot was quoted as saying they took a hit near the target and almost immediately had to eject (sounds like the pilot was injured during the missile hit).  Yet the aircraft and crew came down in Israel.   From what I read elsewhere, the target was a good distance into Syrian territory.   Something doesn’t add up....

My money is on the injuries being from the ejection itself. I thought I saw the canopy recovered nearby in one of the images.

2 hours ago, 11bee said:

How far into Syria? Sufa can carry a variety of ordinance with some decent stand-off capability

11 hours ago, Vaildog said:

How far into Syria? Sufa can carry a variety of ordinance with some decent stand-off capability

Could be.   From the report below, they ejected seconds after being hit.    Still doesn't add up since the jet crashed well inside Israel (20 miles from the Syrian border).   If they ejected "within seconds" does that imply that a Syrian missile hit the jet deep inside Israeli airspace?    Also, from the report below, the pilot was injured by shrapnel from the SAM. 

http://www.jpost.com/Arab-Israeli-Conflict/Initial-probe-Altitude-may-have-made-downed-jet-vulnerable-to-Syrian-fire-542395

Edited by 11bee
41 minutes ago, 11bee said:

Could be.   From the report below, they ejected seconds after being hit.    Still doesn't add up since the jet crashed well inside Israel (20 miles from the Syrian border).   If they ejected "within seconds" does that imply that a Syrian missile hit the jet deep inside Israeli airspace?    Also, from the report below, the pilot was injured by shrapnel from the SAM. 

http://www.jpost.com/Arab-Israeli-Conflict/Initial-probe-Altitude-may-have-made-downed-jet-vulnerable-to-Syrian-fire-542395

There could be any number of details, we wont be privy to. In fact it "not adding up" might be the point.

Israel is a small country and SAM belts don't recognize borders either.

Oh well. I'll read about it in a year after some of the hype has turned out to be hype, and even then I'll keep my pillars of grains of salt

Remember the Bin Laden raid? Remember how accurate the initial reports and then the books and then the movies were? The quiet professionals who all told us they were the ones who killed UBL?

Edited by TaiidanTomcat
20 minutes ago, TaiidanTomcat said:

There could be any number of details, we wont be privy to. In fact it "not adding up" might be the point.

Israel is a small country and SAM belts don't recognize borders either.

Oh well. I'll read about it in a year after some of the hype has turned out to be hype, and even them I'll keep my pillars of grains of salt

Can't argue with that.  The IDF is pretty savvy about what they release / don't release to the public.  Just find the contradictions to the various stories out there to be interesting. 

On another note, anyone have an idea what the heck this is?  It landed in a village in Lebanon.  On another ARC thread, they ID'd it as an SA-3 but the fins aren't the right shape.   Just curious.   Given that under the asphalt there is still a live warhead, I'm not sure it's a particularly smart idea to be hanging out right next to that bad boy!

The remains of a missile that landed Saturday in the southern Lebanese village of Kaoukaba, near the border with Syria, after Israel's military attacked 12 Syrian and Iranian targets inside Syria on in what it described as "large-scale" raids following an exchange of fire earlier in the day.

Edited by 11bee
1 hour ago, 11bee said:

In the CAF we had a pilot eject from a CF-5 and it flew for another hour until it ran out of fuel. It actually landed fairly intact and is now in a museum. 

26 minutes ago, scotthldr said:

Maybe he didn't approach it and is frozen stiff with fear of the missile landing 2 meters in front of him.

Best selfie ever...   Me and my BFF, the smoking missile. 

How cool would that picture be?

4 minutes ago, 11bee said:

Best selfie ever...   Me and my BFF, the smoking missile. 

How cool would that picture be?

Westerners forget that life is cheap in other countries. And I mean that. Standing atop a burning fighter filed with toxins while smoking can highlight things like that.

4 minutes ago, Hajo L. said:

Does the SA-3 has a booster? Maybe it´s a booster-section..

Yes it does have a booster, but the booster has rectangular wings that are very distinctive. These look very close to the wings of the main section of a SA-3 (by the way, I think it is my post that 11bee referred to above). I'm obviously not 100% sure, but it looks pretty close to a SA-3 to me.

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii dunno.  Sceptical I am.  SAMs aren't really constructed to penetrate hardened surfaces.  Nor are their booster sections.  The whole thing just looks too "clean" to me.  Need more input.

Rick L.

Yes, I'm certainly not sure at all. There are several pictures of that missile around the internet, but they all just refer to it as a Syrian "air defence missile". Another shot here, but almost identical angle:

https://www.ohio.com/akron/news/breaking-news-news/israel-downs-iranian-drone-and-strikes-syria-as-f-16-crashes

And if you cycle through the pictures, another slightly different angle in this article:

http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Lebanon-News/2018/Feb-10/437542-missiles-from-air-raids-land-in-lebanon.ashx

Yes, now with a close-up of the fairings between the fin and the missile body, the SA-6 looks like a distinct possibility. The SA-3 does not have those fairings, but they were difficult to see on the original photograph. The leading edge sweep also looks closer to a SA-6, and the Syrian Army are indeed supposed to have them in their inventory. Good find!

23 hours ago, 11bee said:

Look how small the debris field is, and how many recognizable parts there are. Looks to me like it came down in a flat spin at a relatively low descent rate and burned. It didn’t do the “lawn dart” because the intact radome is visible.   Unless that pic is just part of the wreckage / debris field.....

5 hours ago, Spruemeister said:

SAMs aren't really constructed to penetrate hardened surfaces.  Nor are their booster sections.

Maybe it is a terrace roof ?

I don’t know about you but I just had a great idea for an outdoor cooking grill...  :thumbsup: