6 hours ago, DonSS3 said:

The only place where I had an issue is where the nose attached to the main fuselage. I really should have reinforced that joint…

For me it was engine intakes.  The flashing there made it a pain in the fool, as well as this may be me, but the speed brake, I wanted it in the down position.  

16 minutes ago, BoeingDriver said:

That kit, to me, is garbage.  They made it a "MSIP" bird, but didn't remove the hook fairing and those saber drains from the bottom.

I agree, I mean I haven't really worked on a model in some years, I remember the basics, but where the flashing is, as well as having the dimples in the intakes, as well as having the speed brake only available in the up position really turned me off.  

2 hours ago, BoeingDriver said:

They made it a "MSIP" bird, but didn't remove the hook fairing and those saber drains from the bottom.

They spent the money on box art and decals instead of updating the molds.  :(

The fact that the title of the thread is misleading is a problem. Nowhere in the title or in the opening statement does it mention that this is the 1/72 kit and not the 1/48, this could be valuable information to potential kit buyers. The 1/48 kit is a very nice kit, probable one of the best F-15C kits in 1/48 IMHO.

3 hours ago, jelliott523 said:

The fact that the title of the thread is misleading is a problem. Nowhere in the title or in the opening statement does it mention that this is the 1/72 kit and not the 1/48, this could be valuable information to potential kit buyers. 

The title is not misleading in that it is not wrong in any way, just not particularly specific in detail. The problem is that people just assume it is the scale kit they are familiar with. However I agree that mentioning the scale being discussed should always be in the title....

On 2/11/2018 at 5:45 PM, BoeingDriver said:

That kit, to me, is garbage.  They made it a "MSIP" bird, but didn't remove the hook fairing and those saber drains from the bottom.

MSIP C models started entering the fleet in the 87ish timeframe, and the hook fairing, etc... weren't removed till 92 or 93, so MSIP jets did have those features for the first five or so years.  Same thing with the Strike Eagle stick grip, that didn't show up in the A/C models till 92/93 to allow HOTAS control of the Sit Display.  There are several features that modelers often roll into MSIP that have nothing to do with it.  

The only things that distinguish a MSIP jet, for the modeler, is the PACS panel in the cockpit and the ability to carry the AIM-120; that's not my definition, that's the one in the Dash-34.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph
1 minute ago, Murph said:

MSIP C models started entering the fleet in the 87ish timeframe, and the hook fairing, etc... weren't removed till 92 or 93, so MSIP jets did have those features for the first five or so years.  Same thing with the Strike Eagle stick grip, that didn't show up in the A/C models till 92/93 to allow HOTAS control of the Sit Display.  There are several features that modelers often roll into MSIP that have nothing to do with it.  

The only things that distinguish a MSIP jet, for the modeler, is the PACS panel in the cockpit and the ability to carry the AIM-120; that's not my definition, that's the one in the Dash-34.

Regards,

Murph

Some one's a crew chief...

On 2/12/2018 at 8:50 AM, jelliott523 said:

The fact that the title of the thread is misleading is a problem. Nowhere in the title or in the opening statement does it mention that this is the 1/72 kit and not the 1/48, this could be valuable information to potential kit buyers. The 1/48 kit is a very nice kit, probable one of the best F-15C kits in 1/48 IMHO.

So, first of all, I need to apologize for the comment I made above. I was a bit out of line in part of it, and secondly, I obviously committed the exact same thing that drives me absolutely crazy and that is not reading the entire post and then commenting on something that is not even relevant.

I am not even sure why I commented, as I have no experience with the Academy kit, 1/72 or 1/48 and my references were towards the Great Wall Hobby kit. Again, sorry for coming off half-cocked on something I have no knowledge, must have caught me in a grumpy mood....

On 12/02/2018 at 12:02 PM, habu2 said:

They spent the money on box art and decals instead of updating the molds.  :(

They do supply separate pieces for the tailhook without the fairing in the kit, or at least in the F-15C MSIP II "173rd Fighter Wing" Academy - Nr. 12506 boxing they have. Much closer to correct than the new release from Hasegawa with the Oregon show bird, which doesn't even have the updated aerials or modified tailhook parts in it. Still the same kit from when it was first released.

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Draggie748
update information