CONTINUATION OF MY 1:20 SCALE SCRATCH BUILT B17G (RADIO ROOM)

Afternoon chaps!

Well after considering all the possible ways of how to build the structure which holds the ball turret to the fuselage just beyond the radio room I came up with some sort of plan!

I had some vac formed molds of the ball turret that were not good enough when I was constructing it........way back it seems!......which luckily I kept. I thought that as it's the correct shape may be I could cut pieces of it to fit on top of the ball turret and then add the bits and pieces on top of that?.....so I went about that idea.

I thought the best plan would be to construct it inside the fuselage above the ball turret aperture.....and then eventually feed the already constructed ball turret up and onto the structure.

Some of the shapes of the parts were a bit of a nightmare to replicate but after a few days of experimenting with different materials I managed to make the parts look half decent!!

I haven't finished the structure at all ....I have just done the basics and to show you what else needs to be done ...here is a photo of the real thing!...... 

SED.jpg

As you can see these bars ...part of the structure that attaches to the top of the fuselage...have yet to be made..... 

DER.jpg

...and then of course the ammunition cans and oxygen bottle ...not to mention all the other stuff...have also have to be replicated!....got my work cut out!

OK ...so here is the start of my structure before any paint has been applied.......(can't think of another name for it!....I keep saying "structure"...boring!!🙄)

detail_above_the_ball_turret.jpg

I have placed the ball turret in place to check what it all looks like in the next 3 photos...... 

detail_above_the_ball_turret_(2).jpg

detail_above_the_ball_turret_(3).jpg

detail_above_the_ball_turret_(4).jpg

...and here it all is with paint applied!.......... 

detail_above_the_ball_turret_(1).jpg

detail_above_the_ball_turret_(5).jpg

detail_above_the_ball_turret_(6).jpg

detail_above_the_ball_turret_(7).jpg

detail_above_the_ball_turret_(8).jpg

So now it leaves me to figure out how to attach it to the ceiling of the fuselage.....when I sorted that out I'll be back!

Cheers for looking in guys!

Fozzy 

Edited by Fozzy

STUNNING!

Fozzy, I don't know what the specific issue was, but whatever it was, you've successfully done a gor-r-rgeous job!

Cutting and forming styrene to represent actual hardware is a strong suit for you. And such eye-candy you're providing us! Wow ... WOW and WOW!

And I don't know about something like Boeing ... if they paid you for it, fine, but to just have it their lobby, on display, nobody would be able to appreciate the stunning detail you've replicated! I would rather you enter into as many National Contests as you can and, in addition, get it published in as many magazines ( are there any left? ) or websites as you can.

Your photos are so sharp, how's about putting a pen or finger in one image for scale?

Keep up the this work of very high standard Fozzy!

Pete

Hi guys!.....first off thank you for your positive feedback!

Slartibartfast and Giannini......I have thought that I would like to present my model (when it's finished!!),..in an aviation Museum somewhere. I have already been asked how much I would sell it for but I feel that I would rather display it to the public somewhere ....where I am not sure at the moment as it seems a long way off ..before I get to wondering what to do with it!

Pete.......I will on my next post stick my finger in the photo for scale!!!

Thanks guys .....really appreciate you following this build!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys

Well it's been nearly a month now since my last post what with family staying and this and that etc etc( you know the drill...getting in the way of modelling!)...but finally I'm now back at dealing with this B17G!

...and it was time to tackle the complicated ball turret hanging system!.......After looking at loads of confusing photos of the task at hand I decided that the only way to replicate it was to try and break it down into small stages.....wasn't going to be easy ...but then that's the challenge I guess!

So I started with the frame work and the bits and bobs at the bottom that fits onto the turning mechanism above the ball turret...here's a few photos......

Ball_turret_hanging_structure_(1).jpg

Ball_turret_hanging_structure.jpg

Ball_turret_hanging_structure_(3).jpg

I was about to attach the upright tube ( plastic flag stick that luckily was the correct scale!) when I noticed that I would have to adjust the walkway that goes around the turret as it was too large and I would never be able to continue with the hanging structure!.....annoying as I had to take of the glued floor carefully off and then re shape it and then replace it and make good!...any way after that problem was solved I had the next problem of repeatedly placing the top section of the fuselage.... as a dry run fit ....to see if the tube aligned up correctly with the ceiling connection!....that I have to say took some time and patience!...of course in the process I knocked of the radio ops seat and some radio stacks from the radio room floor!...I have left them off for the time being whilst I deal with this nightmare!

Once that was all sorted I gave this section some paint after first placing some cables and wiring on....here are some photos......

Ball_turret_hanging_structure_(2).jpg

Ball_turret_hanging_structure_(4).jpg

Ball_turret_hanging_structure_(5).jpg

Ball_turret_hanging_structure_(6).jpg

Ball_turret_hanging_structure_(7).jpg

Ball_turret_hanging_structure_(8).jpg

Now......I could have left it there!.......but I think you know me by now🙄

The B17G had a system for carrying extra ammunition that fed automatically into the ball turret....after looking at photos I decided to at least have a go at it and if it was too complicated then I could just not bother with them.

Basically it was two ammunition cans suspended above the ball and bolted to the frame work.Being two cans they of course had to be symmetrical...and that is something I find difficult to do...especially the round feeds that were like  S- shaped channels! The rounds were made by cutting small gauge wire to size (at least 50!!) and the glued in between 2 pieces of the S-shaped feeds.....some of the rounds could be seen through inspection ports....hence bothering with making the rounds!

Any way here are the pretty rough looking examples of the ammunition cans and feed chutes....will look better in situ and with paint on....I hope!

Ammunition_cans_and_fitting.jpg

Ammunition_cans_and_fitting_(1).jpg

It was time to attach the ammo cans to the hanging structure.......

Ammunition_cans_and_fitting_(2).jpg

Ammunition_cans_and_fitting_(3).jpg

The next task was nearly impossible to do and that was to make the lower supports for the cans.....it took ages but got there in the end!.......all I had to do now was to paint it all.....

Ammunition_cans_and_fitting_(9).jpg

Ammunition_cans_and_fitting_(4).jpg

Ammunition_cans_and_fitting_(5).jpg

Ammunition_cans_and_fitting_(6).jpg

Ammunition_cans_and_fitting_(7).jpg

Ammunition_cans_and_fitting_(8).jpg

Ammunition_cans_and_fitting_(9a).jpg

OK

So that is as far as I have got so far.

I still have to make a couple of ammunition belts and the oxygen tank for the turret and then I can think of closing the two halves in preparation for the external detail!

I have to say although challenging this part of the build was ......I thoroughly enjoyed myself!🙂

Till the next post....take care guys!

Fozzy

Afternoon guys!

This post will finish up all the interior detail I needed to do before closing both top and bottom halves of the fuselage and then I can proceed to finish off the detail on the exterior of the fuselage.

So what needed to be done was the ammunition belts from the emergency ammunition cans and the oxygen bottle for the gunner.

I'll start with the ammunition belts.....By using just paper and wire I'd thought I would show you how I went about this task ..photo by photo...

1. The first task was to cut 4 pieces of paper to the length/width of the belts....I used paper as it will bend like a real ammo belt... 

making_the_emergency_ammo_system.jpg

2. As you can see I then cut all 4 pieces..(you will see in the next few photos why I did this!)... 

making_the_emergency_ammo_system_(1).jpg

3. I then got some garden metal wire twine (I chose this as it looked the right scale for the rounds)... 

making_the_emergency_ammo_system_(2).jpg

4. This then had to be straightened using a flat piece of metal rolled across the top of a length of wire...... 

making_the_emergency_ammo_system_(3).jpg

making_the_emergency_ammo_system_(4).jpg

5. After measuring the width of the pieces of paper I then had to cut... (loads!!).... of pieces of wire which would replicate the rounds,....laborious task!...although I don't actually mind doing it!! 

making_the_emergency_ammo_system_(5).jpg

6. These were the super glued onto 2 of the 4 strips of paper.... 

making_the_emergency_ammo_system_(6).jpg

7. Then the other strips of paper were glued over the top of the rounds  This is the time that I bent the paper to the shape I needed.... 

making_the_emergency_ammo_system_(7).jpg

8. A couple strips of paper were cut and glued to both sides of the belts to make them look more authentic and I then painted them.....

making_the_emergency_ammo_system_(8).jpg

So now all I had to do was super glue one end of the belts to the ammo cans and hook up the other ends on a couple of posts....(the reason for this is that because I have exposed the top of the ball turret I couldn't glue them to the entry point of the turret!)...here are a few photos of the task complete...... 

making_the_emergency_ammo_system_(9).jpg

making_the_emergency_ammo_system_(9a).jp

making_the_emergency_ammo_system_(9b).jp

The last task to do before closing the two halves was to scratch the oxygen tank for the gunner.

I have so far made loads of oxygen tanks for this project so I just made them the same way as before....and that is a sanded down piece of balsa wood with plastic strips glued to them!......here it is.... 

oxygen_bottle_and_the_complete_fit.jpg

I then glued the tank onto the post and made a couple of paper straps ....to replicate the securing straps!

So here is the finished Ball turret connection structure...... 

oxygen_bottle_and_the_complete_fit_(1).j

oxygen_bottle_and_the_complete_fit_(2).j

oxygen_bottle_and_the_complete_fit_(3).j

oxygen_bottle_and_the_complete_fit_(4).j

oxygen_bottle_and_the_complete_fit_(5).j

oxygen_bottle_and_the_complete_fit_(6).j

oxygen_bottle_and_the_complete_fit_(7).j

So now its at long last time to place the top to the bottom!!..ha ha! 

about_to_attach_the_top_to_the_bottom.jp

I am now getting close to the end of the Radio room section of this B17G....the external detail will now have to be thought about before proceeding......so I'll see you all the next time around!

Thanks again for looking in

Fozzy 

Copy and paste eh? ...

It's becoming redundant to say "impressive!", but I'm doing so anyway.

This is looking so-o-o good Fozzy! Thanx Lad!

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

😭Hi there

A few weeks have passed and I am a tiny bit forward with this build than I was in the last post!...and I want to tell you where I am at with this!

For a long long time now I have been fretting over how I will display this B17G when it is all done!....I felt I just had to  make a decision before I continued on what was to be done.

Originally it was going to be so simple as I was only planning to build the nose section and just put it on some sort of stand!....but of course with a little encouragement from some of my fellow modellers on this forum!!... I decided to continue with the rest of the fuselage....I mean... I really enjoyed building the nose section...lets do the rest of it!

So I then separately built the bomb bay and the the radio room (as some of you who are following this are aware) and started to build stands for them to sit on. I put the nose section/bomb bay and the radio room next to each other and it just didn't look right!....not only that , it was almost impossible to try and build a stand for the radio room section because of the ball turret hanging below!....the stand would have got in the way of the turret!

There was only one solution to the whole mess and that was to permanently attach all sections together making one complete fuselage ...as it would be on the real thing......that's when the real problems started!

Hi there

A few weeks have passed and I am a tiny bit forward with this build than I was in the last post!...and I want to tell you where I am at with this!

For a long long time now I have been fretting over how I will display this B17G when it is all done!....I felt I just had to  make a decision before I continued on what was to be done.

Originally it was going to be so simple as I was only planning to build the nose section and just put it on some sort of stand!....but of course with a little encouragement from some of my fellow modellers on this forum!!... I decided to continue with the rest of the fuselage....I mean... I really enjoyed building the nose section...lets do the rest of it!

So I then separately built the bomb bay and the the radio room (as some of you who are following this are aware) and started to build stands for them to sit on. I put the nose section/bomb bay and the radio room next to each other and it just didn't look right!....not only that , it was almost impossible to try and build a stand for the radio room section because of the ball turret hanging below!....the stand would have got in the way of the turret!

There was only one solution to the whole mess and that was to permanently attach all sections together making one complete fuselage ...as it would be on the real thing......that's when the real problems started!😭

Now ...because I built each section separately and now have decided to join them all together I realized that the length of the fuselage will be too long by at least 1.5cm...maybe 2 cm...this is because I built each section from one bulk head to the next (for example bomb bay was built from Bulk head no's 6-8 ....and then the radio room was built from bulk heads nos 8-10.....each bulk head is about 5 mm ....so when you put the bomb bay section to the radio room you have gained 5mm!)....and so on adding to the length of the damn thing!!.....I hope you understand my ramblings!!!

I had to lose those millimeters!...and so you can imagine what I had to do!......... 

Now ...because I built each section separately and now have decided to join them all together I realized that the length of the fuselage will be too long by at least 1.5cm...maybe 2 cm...this is because I built each section from one bulk head to the next (for example bomb bay was built from Bulk head no's 6-8 ....and then the radio room was built from bulk heads nos 8-10.....each bulk head is about 5 mm ....so when you put the bomb bay section to the radio room you have gained 5mm!)....and so on adding to the length of the damn thing!!.....I hope you understand my ramblings!!!

I had to lose those millimeters!...and so you can imagine what I had to do!......... 

attaching_the_radio_room_to_the_bomb_bay

By shortening each section by 5mm it of course put some of the detail out of scale!.....aaaaagggghhhh!...utter nightmare!....not only that ....getting the sections to line up perfectly was very difficult to say the least.

I have to say I spoke to my wife and said that the whole project after 6 odd years was going to have to be stopped!....she told me not to be so stupid!.....again!.....and get it sorted!

.....and so I persevered and after hours of re constructing ...scrapping a lot of the detail already done....de scaling this and that.... I finally joined the bomb bay with the radio room. The photos you will see show you that I have a load of tidying up to do but this will be no problem for me later on...I hope!

Here we go...................

Now I can get on with the wing root detail ........here is as far as I have got so far!...... 

Yesterday I made these two plates that will eventually be attached to the wing root...

Just to let you know that I have also re constructed the nose section to make sure that it will fit onto the forward bulk head of the bomb bay......and if I thought the R. room and B.bay was a difficult task...then this was just................don't want to think about it!!

The joys of scratch building!

See you on the next post

Fozzy 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there guys!

I have managed to move on from the shock of re adjusting the sections to fit one and other and onto the wing fillets!....a bit fiddly but got there in the end!

This is how I achieved it..................

The first job was to cut to shape a piece of yogurt pot plastic (to save using expensive plastic card)....and glue it on the bottom of the fuselage to make up the bottom section of the fillet and then to place a few ribs on the plate to secure it....

wing_fillets(1a).jpg

All the wiring and pipes etc were then placed in position.......the cover plate I previously made on the last post is in the foreground of the photo......

wing_fillets_(1).jpg

The same was then done on the starboard side.......

wing_fillets_(2).jpg

wing_fillets_(3).jpg

The front plate which was cut from plastic card... was then glued into place after first painting all the detail previously scratched....here are a few photos.......

wing_fillets_(4).jpg

wing_fillets_(5).jpg

wing_fillets_(6).jpg

wing_fillets_(7).jpg

The next task was the hardest part and that was to cut another piece of yogurt pot plastic to the shape of the top part of the fillet and glue it in position....here is the finished construction......

wing_fillets_(8).jpg

wing_fillets_(9).jpg

wing_fillets_(9a).jpg

wing_fillets_(9b).jpg

wing_fillets_(9c).jpg

wing_fillets_(9d).jpg

So all I had to do now was to paint the face plate and I attached some aluminum tape to the top of the fillet to see what it looked like.

Here then are the wing fillets around the Radio room section complete.........

wing_fillets_(9e).jpg

wing_fillets_(9f).jpg

wing_fillets_(9g).jpg

wing_fillets_(9h).jpg

wing_fillets_(9i).jpg

wing_fillets_(9j).jpg

So I am now going to do the hopefully last part of this Radio room section and that is to place the Aluminum tape over the fuselage....

So until then.....thanks guys for taking a look!

Cheers

Fozzy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there guys!

All done!........well not actually the whole B17 but I have finished the Radio room section and all 3 sections have now been attached. Getting the nose/cockpit section to line up with the bomb bay was a real nightmare but managed it in the end!

....and it's BIG!!......well it would be at 1:20 scale!.....in fact so far it is just over 2 feet and 2 inches long (66cm).....and of course I haven't started on the rear section yet!

When all 3 sections were secured together I had to touch up the joints the best I could because originally this project was going to be built in separate sections but realized ...too late to be honest....that it would look so much better if it was one complete fuselage. This in turn caused me no end of problems lining everything up and trying to lose at least 1.7 cm in the length. In fact in the end it will be about 5mm too long but I can live with that!

When I start with the rear section I will build it as just one section right back to the rear gunner position this will just give me the one join onto the radio room!

I managed to modify the display stands I originally built for each section and have made 2 stands which can take the weight of the model so far!

I am going to have a rest from this build now and come back to start on the rear section in a few months time.

So here are photographs of just over half the fuselage of "Fuddy Duddy" .........unfortunately taking photos of her being so big half of my house and garden get in on the act!....really difficult!!!!....WARNING! PHOTO HEAVY!

Nose-Bomb-bay-and-Radio-room-sections-jo

I have temporally attached the bomb bay doors on to see the effect....these will be attached permanently when the whole B17 is finished!....here are a few shots......

So there you have it guys!

As I said I need a break from this now but of course not a break from Scratch building!.....I want to maybe have a go at scratch building a jet....something I haven't done before but would like to have a crack and see if I can do it!....I really like the late 40s/50s jet era and have been looking at the the Lockheed P.80 Shooting Star....I have always liked the look of that aircraft....so maybe I will give it a go!

Cheers for looking in and I will be back to finish this beast off...

All the best guys

Fozzy

I had missed your post from July wherein you stated that you were gonna attach all the sections ... aw-w-w shucks.

However, I do understand your position ... but all the detail, all that effort in researching and building ( from scratch ) all those details need to be shown. But that's just my own prejudice showing. I used to work as a Technical Illustrator and LOVE Exploded views and Cutaways. So to see the inner workings of an aircraft, the structure, the 'crampiness' of it, fuels my enjoyment from this hobby. If you're just gonna show the exterior, then a plastic kit will suffice. No effort, no research, nothing out of the ordinary ... it's done in a month.

That said, I shall still watch, with interest, your progress on this build Fozzy ... I'm certain you'll take this to, not just the next level, but 2 or 3 steps beyond that!

I'll be here in a couple months!  :thumbsup:

Pete

Hang on a minute ... I just looked at your pix again and only now realized you were leaving the top panels off so the viewer can see all that lovely detail inside ... okay ... I'm happy again! Nicely Done Fozzy!

Phe-e-ew-w-w!  :doh:    :popcorn:

Edited by K2Pete
22 minutes ago, K2Pete said:

I had missed your post from July wherein you stated that you were gonna attach all the sections ... aw-w-w shucks.

However, I do understand your position ... but all the detail, all that effort in researching and building ( from scratch ) all those details need to be shown. But that's just my own prejudice showing. I used to work as a Technical Illustrator and LOVE Exploded views and Cutaways. So to see the inner workings of an aircraft, the structure, the 'crampiness' of it, fuels my enjoyment from this hobby. If you're just gonna show the exterior, then a plastic kit will suffice. No effort, no research, nothing out of the ordinary ... it's done in a month.

That said, I shall still watch, with interest, your progress on this build Fozzy ... I'm certain you'll take this to, not just the next level, but 2 or 3 steps beyond that!

I'll be here in a couple months!  :thumbsup:

Pete

Hang on a minute ... I just looked at your pix again and only now realized you were leaving the top panels off so the viewer can see all that lovely detail inside ... okay ... I'm happy again! Nicely Done Fozzy!

Phe-e-ew-w-w!  :doh:    :popcorn:

Ha ha Pete....I was about to say  that nothing has been lost.....you can see all of the detail just as well through the top of the fuselage as you can see!....there was no way that I was going to hide all the work I have done over the years so far!...cheers!