New Decals - 1/72 & 1/144 AC-119G Shadow & AC-119K Stingers in Vietnam (in stock- again 2023)

Two new sheets covering the AC-119G Shadow and AC-119K Stinger - one in 1/72 for the Italeri/Testor kit and one in 1/144 for the Roden kit (for some reason they only provided one decal option and it was a stateside training squadron).

Markings are provided for eight AC-119G Shadows and six AC-119K Stingers gunships from the Vietnam War covering all three USAF squadrons (The AC-119G can be relatively easily built from the 1/72 Italeri/Testors AC-119K kit, unfortunately currently OOP).

The six 71st & 17th SOS Shadows include The Devil's Advocate, City of Columbus Indiana, The Charlotte Representative, Burks Law, and two Charlie Chasers marked aircraft. All these Shadows also carried a variation of the Shadow III insignia.

The six 18th SOS Stingers include Montezuma's Revenge, Fly United, Good Grief! The Pea-nut Special, The Super Sow, The Polish Cannon, and Black Killer Duck.

And two standard 819th Attack Squadron VNAF Shadows (821st Attack Squadron VNAF Stingers can be represented by combining the VNAF fin flash with the 18th SOS Stinger serial numbers since all of the K's covered on the sheet were eventually transferred to the VNAF later in the war).

Data/stencil sets provided for at least TWO aircraft with variations of certain markings also provided as options.  Also included are decals for both the original AeroProducts 4-bladed propellers and the later Hamilton Standard 3-bladed propellers (used by both VNAF options and also Black Killer Duck).  Additionally, decals provided for the flare launcher's compressed air/nitrogen bottles' markings and as well as the illuminator's various placards/warnings.        

Now available

www.AOAdecals.com

COVER.jpg

1/72 ($17.00 w/free US shipping):

72006.jpg

1/144 ($11.50 w/free US shipping):

14401.jpg

Edited by ziggyfoos
updated for reprint

Wow! "Black Killer Duck" was a ship that I photographed at Bien Hoa while a RAM team was patching it up after shrapnel damage it suffered in a rocket attack in fall of '72. I used my photos as reference and made a model of it . . . from the old Aurora kit! That was 1974, many years before there was an Italeri kit. I remember I used Minigun stands from an Airfix AC-47 and scratchbuilt the Vulcan cannons and electronic gear, used engines from somewhere, and even cut open the gear wells. I vacuum-formed over a Hasegawa Neptune clear nose to make the pointy nose for the Stinger, and made the main "canopy" from sheet acetate. The model was featured in the first magazine I edited, "Sprue Quarterly" from IPMS Lawrence Massachusetts in 1975. It was later picked up by IPMS/USA "Quarterly." I still have the carcass of the model on my "shelf of doom."

BTW, when I photographed the "Duck" it had Hamilton Standard three-blade props on it. I think I used scrapyard Revell B-17 props on the model.

A really cool surprise, Steve.

I love Flying Boxcars and I have an AC-119 in the stash.

I'm also happy to see the (I) behind "Gunships raining fire". :thumbsup: I have built AC-47 (from 30 years ago) and a half-built AC-130 (bought as such from a friend 25 years ago) that could use an improvement in the decal department.

Cheers, Stefan.

Wow nice release once again Steve. I actually have one of the Italeri kits in my stash so maybe it is time to dust that oldie off. I think I have had it for years and I would think your decals would be waaaay better and more accurate as well.

I really like the VNAF markings as it is different than the typical USAF but I am disappointed they have no nose artwork. Maybe I will have to go the nose artwork route.

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:27 PM, Paul Boyer said:

Wow! "Black Killer Duck" was a ship that I photographed at Bien Hoa while a RAM team was patching it up after shrapnel damage it suffered in a rocket attack in fall of '72. I used my photos as reference and made a model of it . . . from the old Aurora kit! That was 1974, many years before there was an Italeri kit. I remember I used Minigun stands from an Airfix AC-47 and scratchbuilt the Vulcan cannons and electronic gear, used engines from somewhere, and even cut open the gear wells. I vacuum-formed over a Hasegawa Neptune clear nose to make the pointy nose for the Stinger, and made the main "canopy" from sheet acetate. The model was featured in the first magazine I edited, "Sprue Quarterly" from IPMS Lawrence Massachusetts in 1975. It was later picked up by IPMS/USA "Quarterly." I still have the carcass of the model on my "shelf of doom."

BTW, when I photographed the "Duck" it had Hamilton Standard three-blade props on it. I think I used scrapyard Revell B-17 props on the model.

BKD and Fly United are actually the same aircraft a couple years apart. For some reason BKD got a lot of photo coverage in 1972. There was also similarly marked Blood __(box, bath?) and Betty Jo and probably some others from that period in 72. Ya as mentioned in my post BKD and the VNAF schemes all had the Hamilton Standard props. I think I saw someone had used 1/48 SBD props.

11 minutes ago, skyhawk174 said:

Wow nice release once again Steve. I actually have one of the Italeri kits in my stash so maybe it is time to dust that oldie off. I think I have had it for years and I would think your decals would be waaaay better and more accurate as well.

I really like the VNAF markings as it is different than the typical USAF but I am disappointed they have no nose artwork. Maybe I will have to go the nose artwork route.

Thanks. I'm not saying these are perfect by any means but yes the 1/72 kit does have two of these same options (Good Grief! and Super Sow). They're actually not too bad but they're definitely simplified and missing details (even the "!" in Good Grief for some reason).

Nose art was pretty short lived. Unfortunately I've not seen much uniqueness with the VNAF gunships so the two offered are basically the same, at least the VNAF AC-119G Shadows carried the "large" s/n's on the nose that set them apart more so than the VNAF AC-119K's I've seen that appeared to have nothing unique on them at all.

• 4 years later...

Bringing this thread back up as the 1/72 sheet was sold out for a while but it's now been reprinted and is available again.

Other than printed instructions having some tweaks, the sheet itself is the same:

https://aoadecals.com/72006/

(the original printing of 1/144 is still available https://www.aoadecals.com/14401

Edited by ziggyfoos
  • ziggyfoos changed the title to New Decals - 1/72 & 1/144 AC-119G Shadow & AC-119K Stingers in Vietnam (in stock- again 2023)

Some how I missed this post first time around.  In 1967 I  had the paper work to join that Columbus Indiana guard unit.  Army got me on Friday and the next meeting was the following Tuesday. Later in life I became friends with a guy that was in that unit and sent to Vietnam. Quite an interesting story on how they got to Vietnam, as they were sent to Florida for awhile to train on AC119's

gary

• 2 weeks later...