How to paint wheelhubs

Hello, 

I build mostly 1/72 aircrafts and still struggling to paint perfect circules for painting the wheelhubs. 

Sometimes I make a wash to define the circle and the fill up the rest but sometimes this doesn’t work in old WWII subject. 

So, I’m interested in learning your own techniques. 

Thank you

Here's one on Amazon, but craft stores like Hobby Lobby, Michaels, JOANN, &etc. carry them too. I use Inkscape to draw the images. The nice thing about Inkscape is that you can draw the image in any scale, including full-scale, and then reduce to fit the model at hand. I then use Robocut to cut them. The cutting mat that Amazon shows is useful. I use Frisket Film and Tamiya Masking Sticker Sheets for the masking material. I will print, as well as cut, the masks on plain paper to test them out.

Here's an example of cross pattée masks I used for a 1/48 Albatros D.III OEFFAG 253. The colors represent different layers so I can cut multiple masks from a single file.

Cross-_Pattee-_Mask.png

I  paint the hub and then the tire using a hairy stick and very thin paint. The paint flows to where it should be (usually). Sometime helps if you stick your tongue out a bit.

Edited by MacStingy
On 2/11/2018 at 11:34 PM, dnl42 said:

I cut masks on a Silhouette Portrait cutter. They're the simplest of all possible masks.

Before that, I used a circle cutter, like the Olfa Compass Circle Cutter. I tried spraying through a circle template, but I wasn't thrilled with the results due to misalignment.

I too used masks cut on a Silhouette Portrait, but I found out that 4 mm circles were seriously unround, and unsuitable as masks. The 6 mm circles were fine though.

I replaced the 4 mm masks with similar ones made with a Waldron Punch & Die set. And here's the result. It's the Clark tractor from the old Revell 1/72 F-16.

Rob

f16-12.jpg

My method combines a couple of the above ideas.  And I like cheap practical solutions.  Get one of the green circle templates, and the glass from a cheapo department store 5x7 picture frame.  Place Tamiya tape or favorite equivalent on the glass.  Determine which circle template to use and cut a circle of the tape using a #11 blade tip.  Transfer to wheel and spray or brush.  You can mask either the hub or the tire, but I almost always spray the hub and then cover it, spraying the tire last.  Leave the mask on and weather the tire. 

Cutting against a glass surface allows you to create very sharp clean edges on the mask.  A big circle template like Habu2's will almost always match the diameter you need.  I can't remember mine ever being too far off to use.  After a couple of uses, it becomes a very quick process.

Rick L.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Thank you for your sharing your ideas...I have used most of thrm in the past with mixed result...lately I have been working on some old Airfix and Heller kits, the detail of the injection is not always consistent and that is what have me pulling my hair...

I bite the bait on this...

http://www.hyperscale.com/2017/reviews/tools/brevecocirclecutterreviewjh_1.htm

It just arrived, I have it assambled and will check the results hopefully this weekend.  Will let you know. 

Thank you.