Do you prime the interiors

I build mostly 1/72 aircrafts and lately I have wondering if it is worth it to prime the interior before applying the interior color, what about the wheel weels ?

I use only acrylic paints (Gunze amd Tamiya). 

What is your preference?

Thank you

It depends on variables. Interior hue for one. Detail level and prominence of detail another. On table amongst the train and the game miniature clutter is Heller's 1/72 Fogua Magister, rather Fouga, I keep spelling it wrong as Fogua even after all these decades. Its interior is black and it is being built box stock though probably not going to get painted box stock. No primer for it. 

I haven't often primed 1/72 aircraft unless they got that turquoise-ish Soviet/Russian hue.

In 1/48 aircraft that hue and the various ZnCrO4 hues both got primed.  And often airbrushed for a smooth cover coat.

On 2/11/2018 at 2:53 PM, Greenghost said:

wondering if it is worth it to prime the interior before applying the interior color, what about the wheel weels ?

I don't prime the interior and the wheel wells if masking tape won't be applied to them later on.

• 1 month later...

Guys,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts here, I rarely use to prime anything but since I started, I feel that I can't move forward without doing it, exterior or interior.   Never had any problem with paint chipping or anything like that but just do not feel right. 

I use mostly Tamiya fine primer Gray and White and Mr Primer gray and black...anyways, it looks like will continue doing...

To each their own. Personally, having had one too many instances over the years where paint has lifted I now prime or base everything. To me, in the grand scheme of the build from start to finish it only adds a few minutes to prime/base. But lifted paint potentially happening due to not priming/basing creates a lengthy fix and sometimes a shelved build. I just don't take the risk anymore.

Happy modeling!