F-14 Intake Changes

Hey everyone,

I’ve been pouring over all the research material and photos I can find.  The white in the F-14 intakes looks like it’s changed positions over the years.  It went from a “vertical” to the later diagonal/slanted, and some have the diagonal with an extra “tooth” sticking out.  Is there a specific point or timeframe when the shape/direction of the white portion of the intake changed?  Did this change occur during certain types of maintenance or overhauls?

VF-154 had the vertical white into the 90s.  Some of their Tomcats even had it into the early 2000s, but at the end of their combat operations, it looks like they have the angled white intakes.  I initially thought TPS-painted jets had the diagonal white, but that doesn’t appear to always be the case.

I’m looking at building F-14A 161272 from VF-154 with the Otis markings on the tail circa 1998.  I haven’t been able to find any pictures that show the intakes on that specific airframe.  Everything seems to be from the side.

Thanks in advance for your help!