Revell 1/48 F-18E VFA-115 Eagles

Here is my latest. It's the Revell 1/48 F-18E Super Hornet, VFA-115 from the 2002-2003 Cruise that encompassed operations for OEF, Southern Watch, & OIF aboard USS Abraham Lincoln. It was the Super Bug's first cruise and it's first combat. And I believe it was the longest combat cruise undertaken by any air wing since Vietnam. 

This model depicts a line bird from the OIF portion of the cruise. Arming this bird (accurately) was a bit of a challenge as the Super Hornet was not yet cleared for the full range of ordinance it can carry now at the time of this cruise. During OEF and SW they were cleared for GBU-31's and GBU-12's and as the cruise continued they were green lighted for GBU-10's. Though the Super bug is seen with next gen AIM-9X's now, it was only cleared for AIM-9M's in this period. So basically I sourced all of the weapons for this build from the spares box with the single exception of the AMRAAM on station 10. The load is asymetric as was typical with a center line gas bag and another on the starboard side and none on the port to allow the sensor pod on the intake station full view. 

I used a ton of aftermarket on this one with Two Bob's decals, Wolfpack Design Flaps down/wingfold set (also included snake rails and centerline pylon), Olimp burner cans and nozzles and eduard PE set for the cockpit. I cut and reposition the rudders as well. 

My advice on this kit is to buy the Hasegaea kit. Revell's is not awful per se but for the $$ you spend on extras you would have had the Hasegawa kit twice over. I thought I was saving money but really I would not have needed so much aftermarket on the Hase kit and the time element would have been more favorable as I doubt it would have Shelf of doomed for quite so long. If you want to build it out of the box then it is a decent deal but I saw the Revell F-18F listed for $33 the other day and for $20 more you can have the Hase F and its a much better starting point. Pay your, take your choice I guess. 

B4yV3GO.jpg
mWCfidl.jpg
vEkJ3k6.jpg
yrAfiye.jpg
CdqOm20.jpg

Zach

Edited by SpitfireGuy