Hanging model airplanes from ceiling with ceiling fan

habu2,  Thanks for the comic relief.  I am having a real issue with models moving, sometimes violently,  and none are close to the blades, but there must be turbulence between the four fans. Here in southeast Texas, air movement within the confines of a room with lights and electronics is a necessity when several people are in the room. I want to find a way to mount the models to the ceiling that will hold them firmly in place.

Ah, now that's a better framing of the question. You were too vague in your original question to offer any advice. For your concern about turbulence from multiple fans, perhaps one of these approaches will help

Hanging from the ceiling. Let's assume the simplest way to hang a model is with 3 (or 4) lengths of clear nylon fishing line. Attach one end of each line to the wingtips, nose, and tail and the other tends to a single hook in the ceiling. If you do so, the whole model will be able to spin freely about the hook as well as sway to and fro. A more secure method would be to use multiple hooks in the ceiling as this will reduce both spinning and swaying. Much greater reductions in movement would be realized if you secured the middle of the line to the model, like a V, and hooked both ends of the line to the ceiling.

Mounting to the ceiling, Far more rigid than line would be to suspend the model using a rod mounted on the top of the model. The inverse of mounting a model to a base with a rod, as shown in 1 of  my current sig photos...

Hanging from the wall. Some while back, somebody on ARC showed how they hung their models from the wall. I believe they used a single line twixt the tail and the wall, but perhaps not. In any event, the models rested against the wall, preventing air movement from affecting them. It also had the bonus of presenting the more interesting view of the model--the top--directly to the viewer.

• 1 month later...

I use heavy (12ga) brass wire attached to a small metal eyelet made from wire and epoxied to the interior of the model. The wire is then wrapped tight on both ends and another larger (approx 1 inch or longer) screw type eyelet driven into the ceiling. I paint the whole assembly to match the room.. In my case,white.

Also, putting a good bit of lead in the lowest center of the fuselage keeps the model steadier.

Chip

Edited by DrGlueblob
  • 7 months later...