Max Holste Broussard 1/72 Scratch Built Masters & Models

Now that the back was on the box, the small metal fittings could be pushed into the sides of the box. Small screws through these fittings would hold the picture frame front onto the box. The glass was given a good clean and the whole thing assembled. Small felt feet are added to the corners of the picture to stop it scratching the wall should the new owner choose to wall hang it. Alternatively, the stand on the back allows the picture to sit on a desk or shelf.

broussard263.jpg

So there we are, Broussard serial #001 is complete. Move aside for #002 which has the glazing fitted, filled and sanded, the centre wing fitted and is ready for the cowl to be fitted.

broussard264.jpg

No more progress over the last week. The whole family was struck down with the black death ( or some similar plague brought home from school by my daughter ) and we've all been completely knocked out for a week. Two more Broussard kits sold on Ebay in the last couple of days and so I ordered some more resin and decals to make a new batch. I made use of some of the spare space on the decal sheet and got some small US stars printed. These are for a load of 1/144 scale WW2 GMC CCKW 2.5ton trucks which were also waiting for resin to cast the wheels.

broussard265.jpg

broussard266.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I got back to the Broussard today, casting another set of parts for a new batch of kits. Previously, I'd been working in the house as the workshop was too cold for the resin. As the resin began to go green, I put the moulds in the airing cupboard to fully cure.

Over the last few days, I've made a resin curing cabinet, using an old MDF unit, lined with foil faced, expanded polystyrene insulation. An old style 60w filament bulb provides the heat. Within around 10 minutes of switching on, the cabinet is up to 27 degrees C, a nice cosy temperature for the resin to cure without having to heat the whole workshop suitable temperatures.

broussard267.jpg

I also started making another jig to set the dihedral of the Broussard model, to make alignment easier and also to help any future orders.

broussard268.jpg

Another set of castings were poured this morning and the wing assembly jig finished. The wings were positioned and glued in place.

broussard269.jpg

I moved onto the landing gear next, tapering the brass strip, folding the bends and soldering the axles. It was jigged up and the gear glued in place, followed by the gear fillet being trimmed, fitted and the joints filled. I also spent some time on another couple of projects.

broussard270.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The second of the two commissioned models is now at the painting stage. It has had several coats of white on the wings, fuselage and wingtips, 'though the tips haven't been painted in this picture.

The first model was delivered at the weekend. I should have got a photo of the model with the fullsize while I was there, but that stayed in the hangar all day, so it would have been a bit dark. I must remember to do that with the second model when I deliver that one.

broussard271.jpg

Casting the second batch of models is well under way. Once all the castings are done, I'll get all the small metal work cut and then I can print some instructions and box them up.

broussard272.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force

I cast another set of parts this morning, then made a couple of new small moulds before the last of the silicone started to go off. Next I masked up the dayglow areas and started spraying in lots of thin layers. The rest of the day was spent working on a pair of 1/35 scale Jeeps in crates. 

broussard273.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thanks. It's a bit of an unusual one, but very attractive compared to many French designs 😉

All gloss coated and along side an old Airfix Sea King, also to be framed.

broussard274.jpg

I started to apply the decals today in addition to painting small parts like the struts, wheels, pitot and prop.

broussard275.jpg

Today, the engine was painted, all three wheels fitted, the step fitted to the fuselage side and the pitot attahed. There were also a couple of small spots of green to touch up on the ends of the wing struts where they were chamfered for fitting.

broussard280.jpg

Almost there now.

broussard281.jpg

The model sat on its tail again for the fitting of the prop, the second last detail to go on. The last part, yet to be added, is the small black aerial on the fuselage spine. The part is already shaped from a piece of scrap sprue and is painted, just awaiting fitting.

broussard282.jpg

The end of the afternoon was nice and bright, so I took the Broussard out doors for a few pictures. After adding the aerial, the final stage will be building the A4 frame and mounting the model.

broussard283.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The pine box frame was made from some 8mm cladding, cut to a suitable height and mitred at the corners. The Broussard frame can be seen in the corner clamps, and was glued and also uses 'V' nails in the corners to hold the frame together. The deeper frame parts were for the framed Sea King.

broussard286.jpg

A closer view of the clamps and the 'V' nails can just be seen in each corner joint.

broussard287.jpg

With the model fixed to the studding, it was slotted into a piece of wood with matching holes which held the model upright. I was then able to position the model over the background picture and while holding the wood still, remove the model. This gave me the drilling position for the mounting holes in the background picture.

With the holes drilled, the back of the frame was nailed onto the box frame. The model could then be bolted into the frame.

broussard288.jpg

The glass was then cleaned before adding the mount card, glass and front of the frame, which are held on with metal tabs pushed into the box frame and screwed into the frone frame.

broussard289.jpg