Hasegawa 1/48 F4U-5 Corsair

Here's the last of my trio of GSB aircraft: Hasegawa's 1/48 Vought F4U-5 Corsair. The decals are from the kit. The paint is Mr Color 71. Some small modifications have been made: scratchbuilt exhausts, resin wheels by CMK, resin aerials, lights have been replaced with clear plastic and the pitot is from Albion Alloys tubing. More details at https://jonbryon.com/hasegawa-1-48-vought-f4u-5-corsair/.

Cheers

Jon

f4u5_12.jpg

f4u5_05.jpg

f4u5_14.jpg

f4u5_15.jpg

f4u5_10.jpg

f4u5_20.jpg

f4u5_28.jpg

Nice build!

I just built a similar build as yours and it took a gold at an IPMS contest. What a pain it is to get rid of the step in the fuselage. No exaggeration on this, I think it took me seven years to build this kit. I took it on business trips and worked on it in hotels.

The way I got rid of the step was I flooded it with superglue. I then masked either side of the canyon of superglue to minimize details I sanded off. I then sanded that area flush. Hasegawa Tri-tool makes some amazing tools to replace all the donuts in that area. I thought it was perfect although I could still see it after it was finished.

I used the same paint as you. Great colours, I think it captures the blue perfectly, same with the non-spec on the anti-glare area. I have always wondered when Mr. Color will figure out it is Gloss Sea Blue and not Gross Sea Blue. 

Yeah, the cowl was a bugger too. I wish Hasegawa wouldn't have tried to tool so many versions with the plug.  I previously had build a F4U-7 and the step wasn't as drastic as it was on my F4U-5.

On 21/02/2018 at 4:05 AM, Scooby said:

Nice build!

I just built a similar build as yours and it took a gold at an IPMS contest. What a pain it is to get rid of the step in the fuselage. No exaggeration on this, I think it took me seven years to build this kit. I took it on business trips and worked on it in hotels.

The way I got rid of the step was I flooded it with superglue. I then masked either side of the canyon of superglue to minimize details I sanded off. I then sanded that area flush. Hasegawa Tri-tool makes some amazing tools to replace all the donuts in that area. I thought it was perfect although I could still see it after it was finished.

I used the same paint as you. Great colours, I think it captures the blue perfectly, same with the non-spec on the anti-glare area. I have always wondered when Mr. Color will figure out it is Gloss Sea Blue and not Gross Sea Blue. 

Yeah, the cowl was a bugger too. I wish Hasegawa wouldn't have tried to tool so many versions with the plug.  I previously had build a F4U-7 and the step wasn't as drastic as it was on my F4U-5.

Well done on your win! I built two of these and a Hellcat in two months, so a little quicker ;)

I'm going to try Mr Color 365 on my next GSB build as I think the colour should be a little more blue.

I've now built four of these (F4U-5N, AU-1, F4U-7, F4U-5) and the fit around the cowling and the extent of the step in the fuselage has been variable. The fit of the radiators is a pain too.

Jon

2 hours ago, jonbryon said:

Well done on your win! I built two of these and a Hellcat in two months, so a little quicker ;)

I'm going to try Mr Color 365 on my next GSB build as I think the colour should be a little more blue.

I've now built four of these (F4U-5N, AU-1, F4U-7, F4U-5) and the fit around the cowling and the extent of the step in the fuselage has been variable. The fit of the radiators is a pain too.

Jon

I was looking at my AU-1 last night in the box, that has to be the worst alignment of them all. Yeah the radiators are bad too.

I don’t know if I want to build another of these. The step takes the fun out of it.