Anyone use the Hypersonic resin A-3 canopy?

Just looking for feedback on this aftermarket canopy.   The Trumpeter part isn't correct.   Hypersonic has a resin replacement that allows you to leave the overhead escape hatch open (I like this because you can then have much more of the cockpit) and they allow you to replicate either early or late versions.   For more info - go here:

http://www.hypersonicmodels.com/product/a-3-skywarrior-bomber-canopy

Just a bit nervous going with clear resin.  Any use this part?  How clear is the resin?   Is the exterior framework sharply molded?  How's the fit?

TIA,

John

Edited by 11bee

I have Jeffrey's A-3 engine nacelle set and it is excellent along with several of his F-4 replacement parts for the Academy Phantom. I am more than happy with the purchases. I was going to get his A-3 canopy but decided to go with Dmold's forward fuselage correction set instead which came with a canopy. I'm sure the HS canopy is excellent. HS does not sell junk and Jeffrey is very particular about his products. Buy with confidence. 

I will add one comment. Regardless of maker, clear resin will not be the same as thin clear styrene or vacs. By nature the parts are slightly thicker. 

I hope Jeffrey will be releasing his A-3 main gear wheel well soon. I am anxiously awaiting it.

I have it but I haven't used it. It is very clear.

I have a lot of DMold stuff too, including the clear parts for the S-2, and Hypersonic's resin is in a different league...or to be more accurate, several leagues above the DMold stuff.

Jon

6 hours ago, picknpluck said:

Man, I'd love to build a 1/48 Whale, but holy smokes,  that'll be EXPENSIVE after the kit, front end, nacelle, decals, and interior set...plus wheel well...yikes!

LOL.. yeah, this thing is adding up fast.   That being said, I can explain the costs (a bit) to the wife by reminding her that, at best, I build two models per year.  Honestly, the stuff from Steel Beach is very reasonably priced.  The Hypersonic nacelles are pricey but you can't debate the quality.   If you want to cut one thing out of your build to save money, I'd say pass on the nacelles.  Only a hard core A-3 fanatic would ever note the issues with the kit's parts. 

Still hoping that we get some aftermarket EKA decals.  The kit decal subject sucks bad.

Yeah, I'd want to do it right. As it is now, I've got a Hasegawa KA-3B lined up with an Obscureco cockpit set, Eduard PE, and Lonestar flaps/slats. My markings of choice, VAK-308, are available in either scale. I live near the former Alameda NAS; 308 was the hometown squadron back in the day (and I like the whale logo on the fin cap).

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 1:31 PM, jonbryon said:

I have it but I haven't used it. It is very clear.

I have a lot of DMold stuff too, including the clear parts for the S-2, and Hypersonic's resin is in a different league...or to be more accurate, several leagues above the DMold stuff.

Jon

I will agree that Jeffrey's stuff is quite a bit nicer than Dmold's. I believe Jeffrey designs his products with CAD while Dimitri uses the Mk I eyeball and drawings. I have the S-2 conversion and was disappointed in my copy of the S-2 canopy. It was cloudy and had mold scratches. However the A-3 canopy from Dmold is nice. Not at all like the S-2's. It is not as detailed as Jeffrey's canopy with the PE and small bits but still acceptable to me. 

I'm still hoping Jeffrey gets going on the A-3 main gear well. While he's at it, maybe a set of main gear wheels also. The kit ones are not that good.

Well, thanks. A bit late to the party, just to confirm that clear resin is a bit different from clear kit plastic and other resin. It's not quite as thin as modern day injection moulded canopy parts and can be a little brittle sometimes. (Depends on small temperature variations in the curing process which are hard to control).

Clear resin is generally harder than regular resin. It's advisable to make the big cuts with a razor saw first and then do the smaller flash cuts with a sharp knife. But if you pay attention and work carefully, it's not a big deal at all.

I'm still determined to do the A-3 wheel wells, but it's a bit like the proverbial greased piglet - every time I try to get to doing them something comes up and the project slips again...

J