USN patches: partial embroidery?

It depended on the squadron PAO, he was usually responsible for acquiring the squadron's memorabilia so it depends on what he bought (with approval of the CO).

I know west coast squadrons use to get their patches made while they were out on a Westpac cruise in places like the Philippines, Singapore and Hong Kong because they could get them made cheap there may be some cheap patches running around, left over from those days.

The Navy did not supply commands with their patches, hats, lighters, etc, each command had to procure their own through the open market, usually through companies that specialize in doing things like that. With that said, if a squadron ran out during cruise, they would go to one of the locals and have a bunch made for cheaper then what they would pay for in the states. Also, cruise patches were usually procured from overseas manufactures since they were usually designed during the cruise and the command would want to sell the patches during the cruise since that is when they would get the highest volume of sales.

hth

GW

Thanks for the explanation! I sort of knew some of that, enjoy knowing more details.

What I'm talking about is once in a while I'll see vintage patches for sale which are PRINTED ink onto the patch-fabric, then a simple embroidered edge on the border. That border is the only embroidery at all on the whole item. At first I dismissed them as cheap imitations, but they seem to sell competitively, so I wondered if they are more authentic than I thought.

I was heavy into patch collecting back then and I focused heavily on Tomcats and Phantoms. I used to go down to NAS Oceana about twice a year with a buddy of mine and hit all the squadron coffee messes! There was one local (Va. Beach) patch maker who did use printing on a smoothish fabric with the embroidered type of merrowing. I will have to look in my box o patches and see if they still have the label on them. I didn't care for them even though they were cheaper.

• 2 weeks later...

Except for the eye balls, the patch you showed sold on ebay, looks the same.   It wondered me a while why the VF-84 patches design lost their "eyesight" after the 80's?
Besides the most ridiculous designs one can get on ebay nowadays.

The first Tomcat Jolly Roger patch, shows the grey cat without its stripes and both eyeballs.
Watched closely in the FCD-movie, Owen wears the one without and the VF-84 one shows with.

Anyway,   I wondered if a huge flag did existed, for in the BR. Some sqns show one.

:thumbsup:

Edited by cag_200
  • 3 years later...