Kinetic CF188 1/48 Production Line x4 Completed

19 minutes ago, Joel_W said:

AFM,

your detailing just continues to amaze me. 

Joel

Joel,

I'm just as surprised, I think the biggest thing is putting all the tip n tricks that I learned here on ARC together, combined with a little patience. So I can't take the credit, I give it all back to everyone who has contributed in many way and many levels; I have never done anything to this level before. The scary part...the painting.

2 hours ago, AlienFrogModeller said:

Joel,

I'm just as surprised, I think the biggest thing is putting all the tip n tricks that I learned here on ARC together, combined with a little patience. So I can't take the credit, I give it all back to everyone who has contributed in many way and many levels; I have never done anything to this level before. The scary part...the painting.

AFM,

Somehow I don't think that the painting will be much of a problem for you.

Joel

8 hours ago, Joel_W said:

AFM,

your detailing just continues to amaze me. 

Joel

You didn’t notice he didn’t clean the wheel wells of his Mustang, there was lots of mud in there.  🙃

I’m just picking on him because I am friends with him.

1 hour ago, Scooby said:

You didn’t notice he didn’t clean the wheel wells of his Mustang, there was lots of mud in there.  🙃

I’m just picking on him because I am friends with him.

Wasn't mud, was Toyota (place your car brand here) scum...

Edited by AlienFrogModeller

IMG_20180405_190220.jpg

So here is Plastistrut .010", piece of Tamiya tape sticky side up, cut pieces of .010". That's what I made my toggle switches and knobs, utilizing a jewelers magnifying glass for ease of placement due to my old eyes. I found it allot easier if you cut several pieces if knobs/switches and then, one by one, place them on tape; time consuming yes but worth the effort. It makes it very easy to place glue onto the knob/switches ready for placement. Hurry you have about 2-3 seconds.

IMG_20180405_190347.jpg

These are the tools I used to place the toggles/knobs in the cockpit. Using fine tweezers, and thick glue on a piece of tape. Just place a small drop, it's all you need and it dries fast. Take the toothpick and dab into the glue, then onto the switch/knob. then place into the cockpit. 

Hope that helps!

AFM,

Those front offices look tremendous. and that map case!! Just outstanding. 

and you're worried about not being able to detail paint those offices. No sweat my friend. You've got those really slow and steady hands. The jewels mag glass will take care of the rest.  Looking forward to seeing your next update pics.

Joel

1 hour ago, Joel_W said:

AFM,

Those front offices look tremendous. and that map case!! Just outstanding. 

and you're worried about not being able to detail paint those offices. No sweat my friend. You've got those really slow and steady hands. The jewels mag glass will take care of the rest.  Looking forward to seeing your next update pics.

Joel

Joel,

Thank you for your confidence in me. I might need some help from the people in here of their best go to fine tip brush, looking for brand name and sizes.

AFM,

Even I; Mr. OOB jet modeler, would be interested in at least one of your cockpits. One thing for sure, it would fit way better then the few Aires cockpits I've tried to shoe horn in. 

Joel

12 hours ago, AlienFrogModeller said:

Joel,

Thank you for your confidence in me. I might need some help from the people in here of their best go to fine tip brush, looking for brand name and sizes.

AFM,

I've got brushes as fine as a 10/O, but find that 5/O is usually fine enough. You can spend a fortune on Russian Sable brushes or go less and still get the quality and performance. Cleaning and maintaining your brushes is really super important.  

Joel

14 minutes ago, Joel_W said:

AFM,

Even I; Mr. OOB jet modeler, would be interested in at least one of your cockpits. One thing for sure, it would fit way better then the few Aires cockpits I've tried to shoe horn in. 

Joel

Joel,

From what I understand casting is not for the feint of heart, at least for this type of cockpit which would demand a certain set of skills. These skills would have to be rented from another in order to get the quality that I would have to be happy with. But for now, I am actually enjoying this process of creating specific Canadian cockpits. I will have a couple more "surprises" to complete the office space, after all the office space will need the typical accessories required by the pilots. So I'm trying to create a unique office space for each kit. I do like the kit provided essentials, I'm just providing some extra details which if I were to be building one kit at a time like a normal person would, it would be quite easy.

2 hours ago, Joel_W said:

AFM,

I've got brushes as fine as a 10/O, but find that 5/O is usually fine enough. You can spend a fortune on Russian Sable brushes or go less and still get the quality and performance. Cleaning and maintaining your brushes is really super important.  

Joel

Joel,

I do have a couple fine brushes, but am now searching Amazon for some brushes to complete the finishing touches. I figure I'll be at that point where I will be requiring these 10/0 or 5/0 brushes. Russian Sable, that's a type or brand? I have heard of Sable but never really understood the reference. Maybe a quick breakdown on the types of hairs, synthetic or otherwise would be appreciative.

As for cleaning, is there a technique? I have heard of people cleaning with the appropriate type cleaner then rinse with cold water to retain the shape. Thoughts?

EDIT: Have you used the "Brush Cleaner"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0027AEANE/?coliid=I2823JQFITUU93&colid=2F4YTSAJPI4VE&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

4 hours ago, AlienFrogModeller said:

Joel,

I do have a couple fine brushes, but am now searching Amazon for some brushes to complete the finishing touches. I figure I'll be at that point where I will be requiring these 10/0 or 5/0 brushes. Russian Sable, that's a type or brand? I have heard of Sable but never really understood the reference. Maybe a quick breakdown on the types of hairs, synthetic or otherwise would be appreciative.

As for cleaning, is there a technique? I have heard of people cleaning with the appropriate type cleaner then rinse with cold water to retain the shape. Thoughts?

EDIT: Have you used the "Brush Cleaner"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0027AEANE/?coliid=I2823JQFITUU93&colid=2F4YTSAJPI4VE&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

AFM,

My brother has always referred to the better modeling brushes as being made with Russian sable, which is where I believe the vast majority of Sable, a smallish Varmint lives. They're also found in Mongolia and the Koreas.  I have a few for detailing, but the rest of my brushes are synthetic bristles of what I class as better synthetics form various lines.

As for the brush conditioner, I've used it from time to time as my brother has it, and I borrowed it to condition my better brushes. I keep on saying I need to buy some, but never remember to do so. Just old age I guess.

Joel

6 minutes ago, Joel_W said:

AFM,

My brother has always referred to the better modeling brushes as being made with Russian sable, which is where I believe the vast majority of Sable, a smallish Varmint lives. They're also found in Mongolia and the Koreas.  I have a few for detailing, but the rest of my brushes are synthetic bristles of what I class as better synthetics form various lines.

As for the brush conditioner, I've used it from time to time as my brother has it, and I borrowed it to condition my better brushes. I keep on saying I need to buy some, but never remember to do so. Just old age I guess.

Joel

Joel,

Love the feedback. I am about to order some supplies through Amazon. Thanks for the tips!

2 hours ago, Joel_W said:

AFM

Glad I can help. 

Joel

Joel,

Went to Hobby Lobby, Master Series brushes on sale for 50% off, and used my 40% coupon on my Tamiya glue and my Mrs used her 40% coupon on the brush conditioner. $14.00 for Xtra thin glue, 20/0, 10/0 round and flat 10/0 brush and brush conditioner! We shoot...we scored!

A new resin cockpit from what you have done would be the cat's meow and I would pick up one or two. As others have said I have read too many horror stories on the Aries line of cockpits not fitting. Yes they look beautiful but if you have to thin the sides of the kit to paper thin you have to wonder if it is all worth it.

Also, to set up cockpits for casting you have to have some knowledge of that type of work. From speaking to several friends of mine who actually do this, they plan the way the cockpit is broken down so they can actually get the thing out of the mould.

I think once you get some paint on these cockpits they would be something else to see.

Edited by skyhawk174
55 minutes ago, skyhawk174 said:

A new resin cockpit from what you have done would be the cat's meow and I would pick up one or two. As others have said I have read too many horror stories on the Aries line of cockpits not fitting. Yes they look beautiful but if you have to thin the sides of the kit to paper thin you have to wonder if it is all worth it.

Also, to set up cockpits for casting you have to have some knowledge of that type of work. From speaking to several friends of mine who actually do this, they plan the way the cockpit is broken down so they can actually get the thing out of the mould.

I think once you get some paint on these cockpits they would be something else to see.

Chris,

I agree with you 100%, probably the biggest reason I am working this route. the Kinetic cockpit space is well done, just needed a few mods to help it along. I have always boasted this is a kit that has allot of potential. To my surprise, one thing lead to another as I realized that small upgrades were relatively easy to do. The challenge to make it better just kept going. Then once I realized that I had to repeat 3 more times actually made it easier as I went along. 

Casting a resin cockpit is way beyond my skills, I wouldn't be able to do it at this point. But I truly thank everyone for the compliments of setting such a standard. This is the reason why I keep coming back, there are some incredible people here who want to better their skills in a hobby we all love.

• AlienFrogModeller changed the title to Kinetic CF188 1/48 Production Line x4 Completed